2022 Transfer Portal Tracker

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
Not sure who told you that.
It was a canard people liked to throw around during Johnson’s tenure, that the cut blocking our OL were taught was the reason we had injuries on the offensive line.

Kind of like how Johnson’s offense was the reason our defense was so bad — players didn’t practice against real offenses, defensive players wouldn’t come here because they didn’t want to be cut blocked in practice, etc. Well, our defense sucks worse than ever, so I guess it wasn’t Johnson’s offense after all

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Hold on, I thought our OL got injured during Johnson’s tenure because they were always flopping on the ground. I was told the new type of OL blocking would do away with this problem
Who said that? We said they sucked

JJacket

It was a canard people liked to throw around during Johnson’s tenure, that the cut blocking our OL were taught was the reason we had injuries on the offensive line.

Kind of like how Johnson’s offense was the reason our defense was so bad — players didn’t practice against real offenses, defensive players wouldn’t come here because they didn’t want to be cut blocked in practice, etc. Well, our defense sucks worse than ever, so I guess it wasn’t Johnson’s offense after all
Offensive line caused defensive line injuries was the claim. There was never the big claim in here of injuries to our OL because of blocking style

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
PJ said more than once his goal was 15 offensive linemen on scholarship. That way he can roll three lines of guys on full schollies.
But he wasn't above playing walk-ons there either. Bailey Ivermeyer was a walk-on who played. He may have earned a ride late in his career. Wasn't Sean Bedford a walk-on at first too (besides being someone PJ pulled over from the D line)?

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
There's 2 guys in this thread that said they don't want him. That's it. Calm down Francis.
2 out of only handful who had responded when I replied. What would you call that if not “some of our fans on this board?” Come on. You’ve read these threads and takes like this. We have some unglued people.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
We had 52 freshmen and redshirt freshmen in 2018, though not all were on scholarship.
We had the 14th youngest team in the nation that year with 68.4 percent of the roster either freshmen or sophomores.

superjacket21

Drink alone
Oh look. Another thread hijacked by the PJ / GC debate. I wish for once we could actually cover the topic on hand. For example, any idea what’s going on with Rattler? He’s not coming here and I don’t think we need him, but I feel like it’s been quiet on that front.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
PJ said more than once his goal was 15 offensive linemen on scholarship. That way he can roll three lines of guys on full schollies.
But he wasn't above playing walk-ons there either. Bailey Ivermeyer was a walk-on who played. He may have earned a ride late in his career. Wasn't Sean Bedford a walk-on at first too (besides being someone PJ pulled over from the D line)?
When you leave behind Guys with that Talent level and they are forced to pass Pro 30+ times per Game you get the crap show we are now getting from our OLine.

The only reason those guys you listed above were ever able to see the Field for a P5 Program is that we were passing 6-8 times per Game max, imagine those 2 guys you listed above having to Pass Pro 30 times per Game.

Leaving behind Guys that don't have the Talent to do what you need is the same as leaving behind zero guys, and GT doesn't allow processing and GT is too lazy to seek out West Coast JUCOs or Northeast JUCOs for immediate help.

Collins & CDP walked into a Job where zero OLs were able to do what they wanted, CPJ recruited to fit his system, he never Recruited the best FB Players available.

If you Recruit the best FB Players available, ala Chan, they can play in any system.

CPJ , the gift that keeps on giving

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Becuase #72 hasn't practiced at guard. Like I said he's been being groomed to be the next starting center and that's where he's been working. We've had an extreme amount of injury to that OL group that couldn't have been expected. Kenny Cooper finally comes into a season healthy at the beginning but goes down with injury. Ryan Johnson playing through injury and even had to come out a good bit of one game. Both RT's injured and have to slide Johnson down to play T. KJ Kirby injured and while his main role is LT and hasn't been able to get past Cochran, Cochran was able to slide over and play RT when needed and let Kirby come in to play LT. That couldn't happen once Kirby was hurt. Austin Smith who I thought may contribute this year I haven't seen anything from, I assume he is hurt. Everybody else is still either young or a walk-on. Quality depth there takes several years.
It seems like we have an extreme amount of OL injuries every year.
I thought Vaipulu was recruited as a center. Is he not ready to play?

aeromech

Dodd-Like
When you leave behind Guys with that Talent level and they are forced to pass Pro 30+ times per Game you get the crap show we are now getting from our OLine.

The only reason those guys you listed above were ever able to see the Field for a P5 Program is that we were passing 6-8 times per Game max, imagine those 2 guys you listed above having to Pass Pro 30 times per Game.

Leaving behind Guys that don't have the Talent to do what you need is the same as leaving behind zero guys, and GT doesn't allow processing and GT is too lazy to seek out West Coast JUCOs or Northeast JUCOs for immediate help.

Collins & CDP walked into a Job where zero OLs were able to do what they wanted, CPJ recruited to fit his system, he never Recruited the best FB Players available.

If you Recruit the best FB Players available, ala Chan, they can play in any system.

CPJ , the gift that keeps on giving
Wrong. Completely wrong. If anything Johnson left behind small quick linemen. Our problem isn't guys not strong enough to pass block, it is guys missing blocks completely, missing assignments. If anything, being small and quick should help the guys get to the block initially. If you were right our major problems would be holding blocks and shoving the DL back on short yardage. Our problems are way beyond just that. Second reason you are wrong, we've have picked up a few portal guys, from SEC schools which should be even better that West Coast JUCOs, anyone impressed with what they are showing us? Third reason you are wrong, how great were Chan's recruits in Chan's system?

How in the world you remain impressed with this coaching staff amazes me. Collins can recruit, but he needs some help on game day, hopefully we make some moves and get it this offseason. I think I would rather he get some West Coast JUCO coaches than their OL. With all the coaching shuffling that is about to happen, I hope he picks up a few assistants that can help immediately.

GTRules

You’re Mamma

I never once heard a single person say that.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I never once heard a single person say that.
I heard people say the OL shoulder injuries were due to the 3O blocking techniques, which is probably true. There were less knee injuries than in a traditional offense. I also think our linemen got injured less under the option simply due to less snaps.

I don’t remember OL injuries really being a problem before.

It is only a problem now because we are building depth. We might have a bad year in the future by chance, but I wouldn’t expect an unusual number of injuries.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Press, it’s not going to get better on the OLine any time soon. Collins came in and recruited every fat, big OLineman who wasn’t committed so he could talk about how we now ”look” like a P5 program. He signed a big ole boy from my neighborhood and everyone was shocked when he was offered by GT because he wasn’t even a top guy on his high school line, but he was the biggest and looks the part. After seeing several of these Collins recruited guys this year on the OLine it appears the chatter was correct. I say sign as many as we can and hope we can find 5-7 who can actually play. And the youth excuse is just that. By the time you are 19 you can either play ball or not. We have guys completely missing DLineman who are lined up right in front of them. That won’t change just because the calendar turns.

JJacket

I heard people say the OL shoulder injuries were due to the 3O blocking techniques, which is probably true. There were less knee injuries than in a traditional offense. I also think our linemen got injured less under the option simply due to less snaps.

I don’t remember OL injuries really being a problem before.

It is only a problem now because we are building depth. We might have a bad year in the future by chance, but I wouldn’t expect an unusual number of injuries.
Nobody on here ever said a damn thing about cut blocking and OL shoulder injuries

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guess it's time to start tracking folks coming and going for 2022 season that may be of interest to GT. One entered the portal yesterday that will likely get a lot of interest from GT. Paul Tchio from Clemson has entered the portal (Milton HS - teammates of Dylan Leonard and Jordan Yates). Paul was heavily recruited by GT out of high school and is at a position of immediate need (interior OL) so I expect GT to go after him.

Yep. I’m sure Brent Key will really coach him up.