2023 GT Spring Ball Thread

Key is woke, face it
not necessarily.....
An impressive 32 states allow teachers and staff to effectively protect children by carrying a firearm on campus. While it is unfortunate that not all 50 states permit this form of defense against active school shooter situations, public awareness and advocacy could continue to grow that number. The 5th annual National Train a Teacher Day is June 18, and the mission is to protect kids by training, educating and empowering teachers, staff and administrators with the hopes of influencing legislators and school boards into changing their policies.
>Tennessee is among the weaker places here ,perhaps that's what he meant..... and sure tennessee residents could advocate for more
Tennessee — only in private schools and with permission from the school
Tennessee allows schools in “distressed rural counties” to adopt a policy that authorizes certain staff members to carry concealed firearms, if they fulfill certain training and licensing requirements. § 39-17-1309(e)(6), § 39-17-1309, §49-6-816

Back to football. No politics here ple
I was talking to everyone on this board. I could feel the politics slowly leaking into the thread.

Key didn't say anything political. Have a good day
Please explain one way in which the "change" he kept talking about would ever not be political. WHAT change? It was actually quite self-indulgent of his own emotions and frankly, cowardly, IMO.

Have a nice day. :)

Again, what the öööö does that mean? It's a totally meaningless platitude.
It means treat people with love. Raise your children to love themselves and support each other. Don’t allow people to wallow in their self pity. If you see someone beyond all reach then involve medical and law enforcement to keep them and others safe. None of this is political change.

Serious reply on the Key comments:

I know he thinks he's being apolitical but it is political to use his platform to say something needs to change to stop school shootings. He just avoided the much more political issue of what needs to change.

I respect him for his social concerns beyond football and I think he represented Tech well by speaking out on this. I saw a headline in the news, "College football coach makes emotional plea following shooting" and it was our guy.

Honestly, there is a forum to debate these types of issues at town halls, our community church, with our neighbors, etc. I really dislike it when football coaches do this type of thing. I respect and share his feelings but to stand there and make a statement is not appropriate. Furthermore, he was out of control and overly emotional - not a good look. I suspect most of us tune in to these pressers because it allows us to take a step away from our hectic lives and what is going on around us and tune in to a hobby that we love and hear about Tech football. I want to get away from öööö when I'm following my football team...

Honestly, there is a forum to debate these types of issues at town halls, our community church, with our neighbors, etc. I really dislike it when football coaches do this type of thing. I respect and share his feelings but to stand there and make a statement is not appropriate. Furthermore, he was out of control and overly emotional - not a good look. I suspect most of us tune in to these pressers because it allows us to take a step away from our hectic lives and what is going on around us and tune in to a hobby that we love and hear about Tech football. I want to get away from öööö when I'm following my football team...
I farted just now

Started out well and with good intentions, but shoud have stopped way earlier than he did.
He was totally uprepared to take it as far as it went. He let his emotions (thinking about his daughter) get the best of him without being rational.
We ALL want it to stop, but he offered no solutions, just passed the buck to everyone else yelling "Change!!".
Make a quick statement of concern and condolense, and then move on to Football.

Right, and he specifically said he's using his platform as a football coach to say this because he hopes to effect change. He says if even one person out of one hundred hears him and it spurs change, it will have been worth it.

But it's really hard to effect change on a hugely divisive political issue while starting out by saying that you refuse to make a political statement.

Everyone knows something needs to change. No one is happy with the current state of gun violence. The entire country is acutely aware of the issue. The problem is entirely in agreeing on what to do, and it's impossible to move that conversation forward without being willing to mention anything political.

Obviously he's free to say whatever he wants, and he's expressing grief that is common to all of us. And as a football coach, it's not his job to solve this issue. But if he's serious when he says he wants to use his platform to spur change, he's going to have to make political statements. Can't have it both ways.

hey man …. I love this post and think you captured the moment perfectly. My only exception would be that he speaks from the heart and personal honesty and integrity trumps political statements all day long. People follow leaders with genuine conviction, not politicians. CBK speaks from the heart and that is enough.

hey man …. I love this post and think you captured the moment perfectly. My only exception would be that he speaks from the heart and personal honesty and integrity trumps political statements all day long. People follow leaders with genuine conviction, not politicians. CBK speaks from the heart and that is enough.
He spoke passionately as the son of a teacher and the father of a student. He is concerned for them and for all teachers and kids. I commend him for what he said.

I appreciate his courage to speak up. Just another reason to be happy about his leadership of young men.
I'm taking this approach to his words. It wasn't meant to be a political stump speech, and really were just words from the heart. He felt it deeply and believed he had a platform to speak to it that might help move along a solution rather than just tribal posturing and bickering. Any of us who have family members in a classroom of children, be that a teacher or a student, feel these shootings and want this change. He is no different.

If the energy behind cancelling people who don't think like me could be moved into finding a solution that don't involve a) doing little or nothing, or b) violating the Constitution, would that not be a good thing? The first step is for both sides of this issue to find the small space to agree that the status quo is not a solution and that we must work together to find one. The next step is to agree that any solution will not address all possible facets of the problem, but if we can solve 50% of them that would constitute good, helpful progress.

Favorite part is kelly who made it seem like we don't care about ST's and key shutting that öööö down real quick. Clown Would have sat there and had a dance off during ST drills.

I liked the Key hire before, more obsessed with it after the final 90 seconds of this media session. Forwarded it to my GT buddies and labeled it as Must See.

Back