2023 Recruiting

Noticeably?????? 1" taller and 18lbs heavier. And that was his weight as a Sr in college. I think big Josh could add some weight in college. As a recruiter at GT you need to take some kids that may not get the looks from some of the other power 5 schools. Who is our highest rated recruit in our current class? I think having the 57th rated class we could afford to take the chance.

mare you related to the kid? I’m sure he’s a great young man but this seems to be a weird hill to die on. We need to be wrestling recruits away from other P5 programs, not D3 and NAIA schools.

if you followed signing day, the staff did just what you are alluding to in taking several under profile HS guys from Alabama identified by Erin Joe. Check their measurables, they still are all at typical D1 standards. The days of the mighty mites are over….it’s just the way it is.

I was there when The Rock was there. When I passed him in the dorm hall, we both had to turn sideways - The Rock was huge and it was all muscle. UT had a guy, Chip Kell?, and The Rock beat him all over the place in that game. Of course Chip went to the NFL, The Rock went to the CFL I believe. I personally would take a whole bunch of The Rocks and then watch them wreck the opponents. If they were built like The Rock and had his attitude, no one would stop them.

I'm amazed at how many on here denigrate a young kid who might turn out to be a solid player at the next level. Aren't you just a little curious how he can put up such huge numbers at a high-level classification? If our coaching staff has the same mindset, it is no wonder, we are consistently ranked near the bottom defensively in just about every important stat.

I was there when The Rock was there. When I passed him in the dorm hall, we both had to turn sideways - The Rock was huge and it was all muscle. UT had a guy, Chip Kell?, and The Rock beat him all over the place in that game. Of course Chip went to the NFL, The Rock went to the CFL I believe. I personally would take a whole bunch of The Rocks and then watch them wreck the opponents. If they were built like The Rock and had his attitude, no one would stop them.
I'd rather have Warren Sapp from UM on the DL than The Rock.

Best dl in the nfl. Not too tall either.
Interior DL is all about leverage, getting low and forcing the OL backward or turning him. Meanwhile he’s fighting to stay square and between the DL and the ball. Shorter, quicker, stronger DL can win those battles with leverage even giving up 20-30 pounds.

I'm amazed at how many on here denigrate a young kid who might turn out to be a solid player at the next level. Aren't you just a little curious how he can put up such huge numbers at a high-level classification? If our coaching staff has the same mindset, it is no wonder, we are consistently ranked near the bottom defensively in just about every important stat.
It's less about the player and more about the attitude you took from the start, which was basically a call out on the coaches for not offering this guy, or someone like him, or someone else in that game with him or w/e. The responses are basically saying to you that not going after this guy is a reasonable result, colored by taking umbridge at how you said it. We've had smaller players show success before like Julian Burnett if I'm remembering the right player, but a flip side is that one could speculate it's also the reason his football career ended early with a neck injury.
We also have no idea (and possibly no way of knowing) if the coaches scouted this guy or not; maybe they were curious but when they took a longer look they still weren't convinced?
As for the last, we finished this year with one of if not the highest defensive FEI ranking we've gotten in the last decade.

nobody is denigrating the kid. He’ll accomplish more on the field than most of us. This is a recruiting thread which therefore necessitates analyzing prospective GT athletes and you brought him into the discussion.

Have a happy New Year and enjoy the games today. Greatest time of the year.

and THWG.

Interior DL is all about leverage, getting low and forcing the OL backward or turning him. Meanwhile he’s fighting to stay square and between the DL and the ball. Shorter, quicker, stronger DL can win those battles with leverage even giving up 20-30 pounds.
You sound like someone who knows a little about DL play.

Just to let you know how bad we were defensively last year we were #93 in FEI rankings. I suspect this was better than some of our previous D's. Here's the FEI link:

2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL FEI RATINGS | Football Outsiders

Which is the overall FEI ranking, where our #41 ranked DFEI (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalldef/2022) was dragged down by the #110 ranked OFEI (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2022). 41 maybe isn't the most impressive of numbers but is pretty good by our history. Also don't know if any of the calculations there incorporate effects from pairing with a bad offense. Field position is included but I don't know about TOP.

Looking at the roster of the defense with the #1 ranked FEI, they only have one DL who is less than 6'3" and that 6 footer has no history or bio on the team site. :dunno: But please, tell me more about how we can improve our Defense FEI if we would only offer scholarships to 5'10" Defensive Linemen.

Looking at the roster of the defense with the #1 ranked FEI, they only have one DL who is less than 6'3" and that 6 footer has no history or bio on the team site. :dunno: But please, tell me more about how we can improve our Defense FEI if we would only offer scholarships to 5'10" Defensive Linemen.
Wha? There is an argument to be made for tall, but this isn't it.

I'd start with you also want long arms and they usually come on taller guys. Or maybe just that guys who are 290 lbs. or more are usually taller than 6'2".

Wha? There is an argument to be made for tall, but this isn't it.

I'd start with you also want long arms and they usually come on taller guys. Or maybe just that guys who are 290 lbs. or more are usually taller than 6'2".

Sounds like the #1 defense in the country is doing it wrong and should hire you as a consultant.

Sounds like the #1 defense in the country is doing it wrong and should hire you as a consultant.
No they are fine. Different places do it differently. For example Aaron Donald is 6’1” 280. He is an All Pro. It happens all kinds of ways.

No they are fine. Different places do it differently. For example Aaron Donald is 6’1” 280. He is an All Pro. It happens all kinds of ways.

5'10" is not the new 6'1". I really don't understand why you guys keep making this losing argument. The fact that not a single P5 coach in the country agrees with you about Mr. Barker should be an eye opener.

5'10" is not the new 6'1". I really don't understand why you guys keep making this losing argument. The fact that not a single P5 coach in the country agrees with you about Mr. Barker should be an eye opener.
Because that is not my "argument." My point is not about him specifically since I don't know the chap and cannot vouch for him at all. My sole point is that height is not generally a deal-breaker for a DT. That is all. There are abundant successful DT's in the 6'1" - 6'2" category, so height is not a critical aspect for the position. However, 280-290 lb. is about the minimum you'll ever see at DT since less than that is too much weight differential to overcome by power and leverage. At some point, though, arm length becomes a limiting factor. A DT has to be able to fight inside the OL's arms and those guys are specifically targeted and developed by arm length. Show me a short-armed OL and I'll show you a guy who gets beat early and often in pass pro. The OL's task is to keep the DL at arm's length to keep him from using his leverage against him. If you're going to swim or rip, you have to be able to get your arms inside the OL's frame.

Because that is not my "argument." My point is not about him specifically since I don't know the chap and cannot vouch for him at all. My sole point is that height is not generally a deal-breaker for a DT. That is all. There are abundant successful DT's in the 6'1" - 6'2" category, so height is not a critical aspect for the position. However, 280-290 lb. is about the minimum you'll ever see at DT since less than that is too much weight differential to overcome by power and leverage. At some point, though, arm length becomes a limiting factor. A DT has to be able to fight inside the OL's arms and those guys are specifically targeted and developed by arm length. Show me a short-armed OL and I'll show you a guy who gets beat early and often in pass pro. The OL's task is to keep the DL at arm's length to keep him from using his leverage against him. If you're going to swim or rip, you have to be able to get your arms inside the OL's frame.
e68c3823b3514bf5aa5d2d3cd653be33.jpg

Back