2023 Recruiting

Down to #29 out of 67 in the transfer portal (as of December 28), trailing UGA, UNC, Ole Miss, Miami, Colorado, and FSU and just ahead of Louisville, VT, and UVA.

FIFY.

At the end of the day, what should any rational Tech fan have expected :dunno: ? Nevertheless, there are still a lot of interesting portal targets still out there for the Jackets to pursue.

There are about 800 high schools in GA. Given that GA is about the 8th most populous state, let's say the average is around 600. That means there are around 30K high schools in the US. There are 130 D1 football programs in the US who have about 100 players each, in round numbers. That's about 13K players on D1 teams covering 4 class years - so about 3250 per year. If the average player in the better of those programs is the top quartile, then you're looking at 800 players. At 20/program/year that would feed 40 programs well. So top 40 or so should be in the top quartile of teams and the right coaching should allow that program to field a consistent top 25 team. For the past few years Tech has consistently placed just outside the top 40. With a great coach and system, we won a lot of games, enjoyed some very good rankings, and went to some great bowls. With a crappy coach and system, we barely won any games at all.

Overall, I'd say that if our recruiting is in the 20 to 50, we'll be fine with a good coach. If consistently over 50 and we're treading thin ice being able to field a real competitive team. Under 20 and we should be competitive with any team. I think this is generally how recruiting goes. The top 20 or so teams scour up the can't-miss types. They are in bucket #1 and are the typical power programs. The competitive next 40-50 teams load up on the players who can be good college players with the right coaching/training/etc. They are bucket #2 and fill out the P5 and the best of G5. The rest are bucket #3, players who might be average college football players under the right conditions. I think this is about as fine-grained as you can get, realistically speaking.

So then 29-30 for transfers puts us right in the mix of the better next-level programs in P5 ball. I got no problem with this.

There are about 800 high schools in GA. Given that GA is about the 8th most populous state, let's say the average is around 600. That means there are around 30K high schools in the US. There are 130 D1 football programs in the US who have about 100 players each, in round numbers. That's about 13K players on D1 teams covering 4 class years - so about 3250 per year. If the average player in the better of those programs is the top quartile, then you're looking at 800 players. At 20/program/year that would feed 40 programs well. So top 40 or so should be in the top quartile of teams and the right coaching should allow that program to field a consistent top 25 team. For the past few years Tech has consistently placed just outside the top 40. With a great coach and system, we won a lot of games, enjoyed some very good rankings, and went to some great bowls. With a crappy coach and system, we barely won any games at all.

Overall, I'd say that if our recruiting is in the 20 to 50, we'll be fine with a good coach. If consistently over 50 and we're treading thin ice being able to field a real competitive team. Under 20 and we should be competitive with any team. I think this is generally how recruiting goes. The top 20 or so teams scour up the can't-miss types. They are in bucket #1 and are the typical power programs. The competitive next 40-50 teams load up on the players who can be good college players with the right coaching/training/etc. They are bucket #2 and fill out the P5 and the best of G5. The rest are bucket #3, players who might be average college football players under the right conditions. I think this is about as fine-grained as you can get, realistically speaking.

So then 29-30 for transfers puts us right in the mix of the better next-level programs in P5 ball. I got no problem with this.
Exactly. The gap from where Tech currently is in recruiting rankings and where Tech should be isn't that big. That doesn't mean the effort required may not be significant. It may be like trying to get that last few lbs off if you're dieting and trying to hit a target weight. Those last few lbs are the hardest by far.

So there is probably a lot of things that can be done in the recruiting process that can be improved. I don't know who will be the recruiting coordinator for Tech and how recruiting has been handled in the past or is expected to be handled going forward but it's critical that Tech find ways to get better at it.

As you pointed out, it's a bit of a numbers game. It's numbers, assessments, probabilities and in the end sales. Seems like something Tech should be good at.

It seems most college football recruiting evaluators are consumer based and player promotion/marketing based. I would assume they exist, but I'll ask. Are there recruiting consulting services that cater specifically to programs or do the recruiting coordinators for programs use the same consumer based services to evaluate and spend resources? I am admittedly ignorant of much of the recruiting process but I'd like to learn more.

I'd like to know where Tech can get better in recruiting. Specifics. Tech is mining for gold. What is the process it currently uses to find gold?

I tuned in or a little bit for the Elite Classic High School all-star game in Rome. While I was watching, I did not hear any of these kids going to GT. I was surprised because several kids that were being recruited by the likes of Berry, Reinhart etc. could benefit GT. One kid on the interior DL from Kell High school in Cobb County looked like a load. If I'm not mistaken the announcers said he had 43 plus sacks in his career and 85 TFL's. I think they said he was going to Marist college. WTH? We need to get some kids like that in the program.

I tuned in or a little bit for the Elite Classic High School all-star game in Rome. While I was watching, I did not hear any of these kids going to GT. I was surprised because several kids that were being recruited by the likes of Berry, Reinhart etc. could benefit GT. One kid on the interior DL from Kell High school in Cobb County looked like a load. If I'm not mistaken the announcers said he had 43 plus sacks in his career and 85 TFL's. I think they said he was going to Marist college. WTH? We need to get some kids like that in the program.

Please enlighten us as to how the entrance requirements at Marist compare to Tech.

Please enlighten us as to how the entrance requirements at Marist compare to Tech.
Not sure but the kids name is Josh "Big Bear" Barker. Just looked him up on his twitter acct. It says he has a 3.9 GPA so sounds like a solid student.

I am sure he is a great kid with a ton of heart; but

No thanks. If he grows 6 inches he probably would be a good DT candidate; otherwise he is probably better off at Berry, Reinhart or maybe even Jacksonville State.
NG and you can't put all your stock in measurables. It's more about heart and desire.

NG and you can't put all your stock in measurables. It's more about heart and desire.

We've had walk on athletes that had heart and desire for decades. You got to have some measurables to go with it. If he has good speed he might make it somewhere as a LB.

We've had walk on athletes that had heart and desire for decades. You got to have some measurables to go with it. If he has good speed he might make it somewhere as a LB.
The best interior DL to ever play at the flats was 5'11" 278. His name Rock Perdoni a consensus All-American. Interior DL that have a good base with leverage, quickness and a high motor can overcome height issues.

The best interior DL to ever play at the flats was 5'11" 278. His name Rock Perdoni a consensus All-American. Interior DL that have a good base with leverage, quickness and a high motor can overcome height issues.

And the game has changed a wee bit in the 50 years since Rock Perdoni was on the flats; yet still, Mr. Perdoni was noticeably bigger than Mr. Barker.

And the game has changed a wee bit in the 50 years since Rock Perdoni was on the flats; yet still, Mr. Perdoni was noticeably bigger than Mr. Barker.
Noticeably?????? 1" taller and 18lbs heavier. And that was his weight as a Sr in college. I think big Josh could add some weight in college. As a recruiter at GT you need to take some kids that may not get the looks from some of the other power 5 schools. Who is our highest rated recruit in our current class? I think having the 57th rated class we could afford to take the chance.

Noticeably?????? 1" taller and 18lbs heavier. And that was his weight as a Sr in college. I think big Josh could add some weight in college. As a recruiter at GT you need to take some kids that may not get the looks from some of the other power 5 schools. Who is our highest rated recruit in our current class? I think having the 57th rated class we could afford to take the chance.

Doesn't really make sense to call out the recruiting ranking while suggesting we take someone who, as far as I can tell, may not even be covered by the recruiting services doing the ranking.

Cut the bullshit. The Rock played over 50 years ago; the game has changed dramatically since then.
Hey big Dan your brilliant. Of course, the game has changed, but these attributes haven't changed. Debating whether this kid is worth recruiting, given the state of our program is the issue.

In 1842.

Back