2023 Recruiting

57th as a P5 school is bad. We will win 4-6 games as long as you can stomach it. Key was never going to move the needle much. He will get rich being like Pastner.
Granted, 57th blows the bone, and anyone on this board who thinks that was a great haul is indeed a motherööööing idiot. However, under the circumstances I don't know of any coach who could have done a öööö of a lot better.

That said, and I'm willing to bet that Key and staff will right the ship and do better on the recruiting trail with a full season under their belts.

Yeah, a new coach's first real recruiting class isn't the one that signs weeks after he gets the job, but the following. It's not like basketball where someone like Calipari can just get the 3-4 five-star recruits to follow him to his new school and then call it a day.
Anybody remember Gailey's first class? It SUCKED!

Granted, 57th blows the bone, and anyone on this board who thinks that was a great haul is indeed a motherööööing idiot. However, under the circumstances I don't know of any coach who could have done a öööö of a lot better.

That said, and I'm willing to bet that Key and staff will right the ship and do better on the recruiting trail with a full season under their belts.

Nice take here.

We fired Clown too late, then waited too long to promote Key. Fair to judge him on what he can do with what he’s got next year, then all the recruiting is on him and his staff next year. Must be measurably better or we have a big problem.

We fired Clown too late, then waited too long to promote Key. Fair to judge him on what he can do with what he’s got next year, then all the recruiting is on him and his staff next year. Must be measurably better or we have a big problem.

I really don't expect much more than our typical 40-50th ranked class next year. It is going to take more than a year to rebuild this program. We have to show recruits we are capable of winning. Getting to a bowl game next year should help us recruit a 2025 class; but most 2024 recruits will still see us as the 3 wins a season Georgia Tech they grew up with.

I really don't expect much more than our typical 40-50th ranked class next year. It is going to take more than a year to rebuild this program. We have to show recruits we are capable of winning. Getting to a bowl game next year should help us recruit a 2025 class; but most 2024 recruits will still see us as the 3 wins a season Georgia Tech they grew up with.
Key certainly has an uphill climb. Weinke is starting year 2, Thacker’s on year 5, the co-sort of OC hasn’t been recruiting because I don’t think that’s allowed.

Given the weakness of the ACC, 6 wins should be achievable and 7 with a bowl game win. If we regress, Key will have probably lost the war and his tenure will probably be mired in misery. It has to be all forward progress from here.

I think had recruiting rankings been as publicized in the 1970's through 90's as they are today, you would have seen the same thing: GA Tech's classes ranked in the 40's. It's been this way for a long time, and GA Tech has had many great seasons over that span of years. We have always had to recruit the smarter, less "NFL sure-thing" ball player and coach them up. Dodd, from all I've read, was just a mastermind coach. Bear Bryant once said Dodd could take his players and beat you and then take your players and beat you. I think it's always been that way for GA Tech. The key is to find another young coach who can do that and get him to stay at Tech for 20+ years. However, IMPO, the difference between the academically inclined "smart" players and the who-cares-about-academics "dumb" ones has never been larger, and so the task has never been harder.

Some data:

Georgia Tech Recruiting Rankings.jpg

Basically, recruiting for Tech has been range bound. For the last 10 years the recruiting ranking has been between 40th thru 60th with one exception of 2019/20.

CPJ did a lot more with slightly worse recruiting rankings.

Here are some other programs for comparison over the last 5 years:

Comparitive College Football Rankings.jpg

Events of 2020 skews the data a bit for everything, but still provides some insights. Wake Forest and K-State have worse recruiting rankings than Tech but have been over achievers relative to expectations. Iowa and Utah are often considered over achievers relative to the power house programs yet you can see that both programs have considerably better recruiting than Tech, Wake or K-State and their win/lose records support those rankings.

I'm optimistic about what CBK and his staff are going to do and I expect the recruiting to improve significantly in the coming years. I would say that Tech, with good coaching, can make an immediate improvement in record in line with what CPJ did and what Wake and K-State are currently doing without much improvement in recruiting. In other words, being range bound from #40-60 ranked classes as Tech has been. I think we've already seen evidence of improved coaching.

With just a little improvement in recruiting coupled with good coaching Tech may be able to produce results more in line with what Utah and Iowa have done. That should be the goal. Tech should aim to recruit classes consistently ranked in the #35-#45 range. I think it can be done and I think the results can be quite dramatic.

Correct. Our program was a dumpster fire so seniors and juniors in high school have only seen us suck. We are slowly putting out the fire and rebuilding but it simply takes time to remake our football reputation. Ultimately, wins are the only thing that will really fix our perception. I’m an alum and even I’m in the camp that all that matters is the scoreboard at this point in time because that’s the only thing that will get us players. I believe Key is working his plan and that’s all well and good, but if it doesn’t lead us to respectability on the scoreboard then it means nothing.

Some data:

Georgia Tech Recruiting Rankings.jpg

Basically, recruiting for Tech has been range bound. For the last 10 years the recruiting ranking has been between 40th thru 60th with one exception of 2019/20.

CPJ did a lot more with slightly worse recruiting rankings.

Here are some other programs for comparison over the last 5 years:

Comparitive College Football Rankings.jpg

Events of 2020 skews the data a bit for everything, but still provides some insights. Wake Forest and K-State have worse recruiting rankings than Tech but have been over achievers relative to expectations. Iowa and Utah are often considered over achievers relative to the power house programs yet you can see that both programs have considerably better recruiting than Tech, Wake or K-State and their win/lose records support those rankings.

I'm optimistic about what CBK and his staff are going to do and I expect the recruiting to improve significantly in the coming years. I would say that Tech, with good coaching, can make an immediate improvement in record in line with what CPJ did and what Wake and K-State are currently doing without much improvement in recruiting. In other words, being range bound from #40-60 ranked classes as Tech has been. I think we've already seen evidence of improved coaching.

With just a little improvement in recruiting coupled with good coaching Tech may be able to produce results more in line with what Utah and Iowa have done. That should be the goal. Tech should aim to recruit classes consistently ranked in the #35-#45 range. I think it can be done and I think the results can be quite dramatic.
Great work. I’d just punt 2020. It’s dirty data.

If he made that hit today, he would be called for targeting and ejected.

He launched and lead with the crown of the helmet. Targeting confirmed.

I am waiting for the day when the ball carrier leading with his helmet is called for targeting too. We need that rule to protect the runner from himself just like targeting protects the defender from neck injuries now. I want to see both players get ejected for a helmet to helmet call, that'll be the day.

I am waiting for the day when the ball carrier leading with his helmet is called for targeting too.
+100%

There are too many reviews and ejections of defensive players with the offense initiating contact with their helmet. And change the name of the penalty. Call it 'Being a ööööing Dumbass'. It would be great to hear the ref's call on the play.

He launched and lead with the crown of the helmet. Targeting confirmed.

I am waiting for the day when the ball carrier leading with his helmet is called for targeting too. We need that rule to protect the runner from himself just like targeting protects the defender from neck injuries now. I want to see both players get ejected for a helmet to helmet call, that'll be the day.
Offensive players lower their head and lead with their helmets on nearly every play, especially running backs. I understand the intent of the rule, and despite it's major failings, I do think it has helped reduce injuries, but the elephant in the room is still there. Offensive players do it all the time.

Down to #26 out of 65 in the transfer portal, trailing UGA, UNC, Ole Miss, Miami, Colorado, and FSU and just ahead of Louisville, VT, and UVA.

Back