2024-2025 Coaching Carousel Thread

How many coaches have they been through?
A öööö ton.

Since Urban quit on them after 2010, there have been the "Three Ms": Muschamp, McElwain, and Mullen.

And the three "Interims" when they fired each of the "Three Ms": Durkin, Shannon ad Knox.

Now Napier. And soon a fourth Interim, after they fire Napier. Four hires and four interims in 14 years. Meanwhile, Kyle Whittingham is in his 20th season as head coach at Utah.

Each was The Savior. Until they weren't. Napier was the only one who was a clear winner before they hired him. I'm still not sure why he failed there. But he did.

A öööö ton.

Since Urban quit on them after 2010, there have been the "Three Ms": Muschamp, McElwain, and Mullen.

And the three "Interims" when they fired each of the "Three Ms": Durkin, Shannon ad Knox.

Now Napier. And soon a fourth Interim, after they fire Napier. Four hires and four interims in 14 years.

Each was The Savior. Until they weren't. Napier was the only one who was a clear winner before they hired him. I'm still not sure why he failed there. But he did.

They all failed there. Which was my point - there is an institutional problem at UF that needs to be addressed. They keep throwing coaches at it.

No way. Too much money involved
And they already tried that route with Muschamp. They're not doing that again.

They all failed there. Which was my point - there is an institutional problem at UF that needs to be addressed. They keep throwing coaches at it.
Not arguing with that. Something's wrong. One of my very best friends is a LONG time, multi-decade, Bull Gator booster and he won't tell me who the problem is, but his initials are Scott Stricklin.

His predecessor, Jeremy Foley, inherited Spurrier, but he also hired Urban and Billy Donovan. Three CFB natties, two Heismans, four Final Fours, and two NCAA basketball natties. Probably the best AD in the country during his tenure. He was essentially Homer Rice with a yuge athletic budget.

Stricklin hired the last two losers. It's not clear that he'll get a chance to hire a third.

Florida has been going downhill since they lost their AD (McGarity) to UGA.

UF facilities are below most of the sec, ACC ant this point and that field looks like something you would see at a remote High School in New Mexico or something. The amount if missing turf and sand coming up last week was pretty sad to see. It was the same against Miami as well. The mindset that UF can recruit itself is long over.

The boosters and fans are also a part of the problem. They expect a new HC to walk in and have instant success and go right to the top of the sec. Mullens had UF an SEC Championship win away from the CFP in the 2020 COVID season. Less than 1 year later Mullens was gone. He was looking at the NFL for a reason. Couldn’t take dealing with the UF boosters and AD. Remember who turned UF down before Mullens? Chip Kelly. Doubt he would have worked out either.

We’ll see is UF can find the $25-27 million for the buyout + a salary for a new staff. But to continually start over, eventually you’re going to run out of booster $$$ bailing you out.

Funniest comment was by Reece Davis today…..Time to call Ed O to be the interim HC.

If I had to guess, that trustees meeting at Florida was about when to fire the Athletic Director. They're not gonna fire Sunbelt Billy and let the same failure of an AD pick his replacement. They'll get fired on the same day, for sure, but they're just making sure they have all their ducks in a row.

If I had to guess, that trustees meeting at Florida was about when to fire the Athletic Director. They're not gonna fire Sunbelt Billy and let the same failure of an AD pick his replacement. They'll get fired on the same day, for sure, but they're just making sure they have all their ducks in a row.
This Is The Way.

I'm trying to recall if any other school has done that . . .

I would imagine that it is complicated to raise the money to fire 2 people with large contracts when one of those being fired is the person responsible for raising the money for those type projects.

A öööö ton.

Now Napier. And soon a fourth Interim, after they fire Napier. Four hires and four interims in 14 years. Meanwhile, Kyle Whittingham is in his 20th season as head coach at Utah.

Napier’s big issue was that he came to Florida while Kirby was in the midst of the back to back seasons and Tennessee is undergoing its resurgence under Heipel. Couple that with Kentucky always being a tough out, having LSU as your permanent crossover, and FSU having a couple of good seasons before obviously crashing down to earth this season, that’s 4-5 losses right off the bat. Any good coach would struggle with that schedule.

On top of all that, Florida's president stepped down a couple months ago and they've just started searching for a replacement (it took 10 months to hire him).

Pretty sure no one has ever gone from undefeated regular season to hot seat faster than Norvell without an off-the-field scandal. First to worst.

Mullen was a good coach but they freaked out after one bad season. Big mistake.
Mullen had checked out. He stuck with Todd Grantham way too long, because he was a buddy. He totally screwed up his QBs to the point of ineffectiveness and he refused to utilize the best RB in the conference to run a passing offense. On top of that, his entire staff was a failure in recruiting., He was a very good coach once, but not at the time he was let go.

Mullen was a good coach but they freaked out after one bad season. Big mistake.
UF fans were already complaining about Mullens lack of Top 10 recruits. The so called recruiting experts also were hard on him about the lack of recruiting.

On XM Radio “Full Ride” Mullen without coming out and saying it yesterday, is happy as hell to be out of Gainesville. He’s living the dream. Getting paid by UF, ESPN and golf’s 4 days a week. Pretty easy life at this point.

Back