2024 Recruiting

I keep thinking back to Key's first fired up press conference when he was hired as OL coach. Maybe he was the dude all along. I certainly think he took the job with eyes on head coach, either via Collins ' success or failure.

I like Fritz. Wasn't totally opposed, but I doubt he could have hit the ground running the way Key has.

So disclaimer: I'm almost always overly optimistic about GT's chances in football. I think I underestimated our potential in 2008 and 2014, but that's been about it.

That being said, I'm fully on board the hype train right now. We're winning 7 or 8 games this coming season and we'll be in contention for the ACC all year. This recruiting class is going to not only hold together, but improve on signing day and we'll be at 10+ wins for the foreseeable future.

So disclaimer: I'm almost always overly optimistic about GT's chances in football. I think I underestimated our potential in 2008 and 2014, but that's been about it.

That being said, I'm fully on board the hype train right now. We're winning 7 or 8 games this coming season and we'll be in contention for the ACC all year. This recruiting class is going to not only hold together, but improve on signing day and we'll be at 10+ wins for the foreseeable future.
56d.gif

I want to be excited. I REALLY want to beelieve, but I bit too hard on the last coach so I’m waiting for visible progress in the Fall on the field. I’m an overly optimistic person too, so let me just see that first win over Louisville and I’m all in.

I want to be excited. I REALLY want to beelieve, but I bit too hard on the last coach so I’m waiting for visible progress in the Fall on the field. I’m an overly optimistic person too, so let me just see that first win over Louisville and I’m all in.
All that matters is on field performance at this point for this fanbase.

We went from having a Hall of Fame college football coach many didn’t support to having a rec ball coach who many did support all because of things and words not related to the performance on the field. GT is really a case study of how not to do it. Hopefully Key is that coach who not only wins games but also aligns the fanbase. We haven’t had that since O’Leary.

I like Fritz. Wasn't totally opposed, but I doubt he could have hit the ground running the way Key has.
I also like Fritz but was concerned about his age. You have to give him credit for winning a major bowl at Tulane of all places. He beat a USC team that probably has this year's Heisman Trophy winner at QB. Tulane probably hasn't won a bigger game in 50 years. That's an impressive win for any coach. Happy with Key, but to be quite frank I probably preferred Fritz but not by much.

I’m starting to get a little concerned.

Its been like a whole day and no 4*, All-World Blue-Chippers have committed. What the heck is going on? Staff getting complacent already?

Totally Understand. I think most of us, myself included, feel this way about the 2023 season.

And potentially play on Sunday's though we've had many from GT do just that.

Assuming we get to a point soon where CFB officially drops the "student" from student-athletes, the upside is significantly greater for Tech than the "factories," who will see little benefit since they are effectively operating in this mode today. Ironically, this levels the playing field overnight. Suddenly we are recruiting the dumbasses from our own backyard that would otherwise laugh at the suggestion of going to Tech. Our regional competitors lose a significant amount of leverage against us.

If we were in Kentucky or Virginia or Iowa or New Mexico this wouldn't matter. But we're not. We are in the epicenter of HS talent. We lose smart guys every year to surrounding states. We lose dummies at an even high rate. Drop the academic requirements, and we can offer more than many.

I understand, but don’t let the last coach keep you from getting excited. I’ll own up to something most won’t a couple of years ago I was calling for CBK head because of the play of the O Line. But now I really think CBK is what we need. He loves Tech and in a couple of years I hope most of our fans love him being here. I really like the coaching staff he put together. I’m not saying we will win 10 or 11 games this year but I can see 6 or 7 this year with a bowl. If he can do that we will get better each year. ( but remember no matter who you play the first game it’s the first game and anything can happen) I remember a few years ago when FSU was great that if they were going to lose a game it would be early in the season and then they would get better.

Assuming we get to a point soon where CFB officially drops the "student" from student-athletes, the upside is significantly greater for Tech than the "factories," who will see little benefit since they are effectively operating in this mode today. Ironically, this levels the playing field overnight. Suddenly we are recruiting the dumbasses from our own backyard that would otherwise laugh at the suggestion of going to Tech. Our regional competitors lose a significant amount of leverage against us.

If we were in Kentucky or Virginia or Iowa or New Mexico this wouldn't matter. But we're not. We are in the epicenter of HS talent. We lose smart guys every year to surrounding states. We lose dummies at an even high rate. Drop the academic requirements, and we can offer more than many.

No way. Dubious that GT would drop the student part to compete in that league. If this were to take place (perhaps in conjunction with or a precursor to a 26-32 team made for TV superleague) GT would not be in that league and would stay in whatever league emerges where kids still have to go to class.

No way. Dubious that GT would drop the student part to compete in that league. If this were to take place (perhaps in conjunction with or a precursor to a 26-32 team made for TV superleague) GT would not be in that league and would stay in whatever league emerges where kids still have to go to class.

We would do that why? Tradition? Virtue?

I'd like to think Tech would evolve and preserve its ability to compete at the highest level. I would be very disappointed if Tech turned down the opportunity to join in.

At the end of the day, if that's where college sports are headed, I want to go. Maybe reluctantly and with some regret, but it's better than sitting home and watching everyone else.

I understand, but don’t let the last coach keep you from getting excited. I’ll own up to something most won’t a couple of years ago I was calling for CBK head because of the play of the O Line. But now I really think CBK is what we need. He loves Tech and in a couple of years I hope most of our fans love him being here. I really like the coaching staff he put together. I’m not saying we will win 10 or 11 games this year but I can see 6 or 7 this year with a bowl. If he can do that we will get better each year. ( but remember no matter who you play the first game it’s the first game and anything can happen) I remember a few years ago when FSU was great that if they were going to lose a game it would be early in the season and then they would get better.
Agree completely. I was in the fire CBK camp too. Just couldn’t understand how our OL could be THAT bad. Didn’t realize how much of a negative impact the practice culture had on every unit.

Back