2024 Recruiting

Last year's recruiting class was 12th in the ACC. That is the apples to apples comparison
I disagree... because the clown impacted last year's recruiting class so its unfair to grade Key for the overall group.
(likewise improvement compared to last year is also of questionable validity)
That's why i was using the talent composite ,altho not perfect it covers 4 years and can be viewed as something of an average.

I disagree... because the clown impacted last year's recruiting class so its unfair to grade Key for the overall group.
That's why i was using the talent composite ,altho not perfect it covers 4 years and can be viewed as something of an average.

Talent composite also includes the transfers, while the other ranking is for high school recruiting classes. Comparing the two is maybe more like judging how much of your talent is recruited out of high school vs transferred in. Having a 5th ranked talent composite and a 6th rank recruiting class is just that we get transfer talent slightly higher than who we pick up out of high school (also this is only relative to the rest of the ACC).

Then you would need to compare the talent composite at the end of this year compared to last year, but that would still not compare recruiting classes - only overall talent level.

We need as many OLinemen as we can get to sign. I’ve said this before but I’ve NEVER seen an in season thread lamenting our lack of DBs, WRs, or RB’s. Yet, every freaking year we are sitting at the beginning of October talking about the OLine being shuffled around and walk ons getting playing time. Whenever I bring it up I’m told that we take the same number of each position that others do. To that I say we are stupid in that regard. We aren’t a top 20 program getting guys who are interchangeable because they are 4 stars. We get the leftovers at OLine so it’s a numbers game. UGA can take 6 per class knowing that 4 will pan out. We take 6 and get lucky if 1 or 2 pan out and then we wonder why our QB’s either run for their lives or get injured as we saw last season. For me, I’d rather have 3 less towel waivers on the sideline never getting on the field and have 3 more fat boys who may actually be needed.

Our entire season will depend on the OLine. Not QB, not defense, not RB’s.

We need as many OLinemen as we can get to sign. I’ve said this before but I’ve NEVER seen an in season thread lamenting our lack of DBs, WRs, or RB’s. Yet, every freaking year we are sitting at the beginning of October talking about the OLine being shuffled around and walk ons getting playing time. Whenever I bring it up I’m told that we take the same number of each position that others do. To that I say we are stupid in that regard. We aren’t a top 20 program getting guys who are interchangeable because they are 4 stars. We get the leftovers at OLine so it’s a numbers game. UGA can take 6 per class knowing that 4 will pan out. We take 6 and get lucky if 1 or 2 pan out and then we wonder why our QB’s either run for their lives or get injured as we saw last season. For me, I’d rather have 3 less towel waivers on the sideline never getting on the field and have 3 more fat boys who may actually be needed.

Our entire season will depend on the OLine. Not QB, not defense, not RB’s.
Fair point. Need more big uglies.

Agree completely. I was in the fire CBK camp too. Just couldn’t understand how our OL could be THAT bad. Didn’t realize how much of a negative impact the practice culture had on every unit.
@stech81 @GTWannaBee There’s probably hundreds of us that were in the “Fire Brent Key” club. I was stunned when he was made interim coach. Call me stunned twice now. I kept an open mind though and he’s making me a huge Brent Key fan. He’s making a helluva lot of good moves and his personal philosophy is solid. If he turns this ship around I’ll will have been more wrong about him than anyone I can think of in my entire life.

@stech81 @GTWannaBee There’s probably hundreds of us that were in the “Fire Brent Key” club. I was stunned when he was made interim coach. Call me stunned twice now. I kept an open mind though and he’s making me a huge Brent Key fan. He’s making a helluva lot of good moves and his personal philosophy is solid. If he turns this ship around I’ll will have been more wrong about him than anyone I can think of in my entire life.
I’m a fan of Brent Key’s. I just want to see some wins that validate all of the feelings and opinions we have about him. He says and does exactly what I want to see in a head coach. I just want to see the results becoming a huge fan.

Guess you are still married, huh?

I’m a fan of Brent Key’s. I just want to see some wins that validate all of the feelings and opinions we have about him. He says and does exactly what I want to see in a head coach. I just want to see the results becoming a huge fan.
This is it exactly. The time for words passed by GT about 4 years ago. All that matters is on field results during games. Nothing else matters. Our entire staff is a total unknown when it comes to actually producing on the field. We are already handing out raises and lauding these guys when they haven’t won 1 game yet as a staff. I’m not a hater and hope they win every game this coming season. But, our fanbase is just weird that we are patting them on the back, and for what? They aren’t Collins? Key and Thacker were here during the entire previous regime so they own those results. Win some ballgames and we’ll name a street after you, but how about we see what these guys do when it actually matters. I like Key but I’m not giving him a hug until he earns a hug. Meanwhile, many posters who are patting him on the back will be screaming for his head if we lose to Louisville 42-17.

This is it exactly. The time for words passed by GT about 4 years ago. All that matters is on field results during games. Nothing else matters. Our entire staff is a total unknown when it comes to actually producing on the field. We are already handing out raises and lauding these guys when they haven’t won 1 game yet as a staff. I’m not a hater and hope they win every game this coming season. But, our fanbase is just weird that we are patting them on the back, and for what? They aren’t Collins? Key and Thacker were here during the entire previous regime so they own those results. Win some ballgames and we’ll name a street after you, but how about we see what these guys do when it actually matters. I like Key but I’m not giving him a hug until he earns a hug. Meanwhile, many posters who are patting him on the back will be screaming for his head if we lose to Louisville 42-17.

Dude, we went 4-4 after the Clown left. I get waiting to see results, but outside the UVA game we looked way more competent with Key as interim.

Yea totally agree. Like, just win 50% of your games while under duress and go toe to effing toe with the national champs at their place for over 40 minutes til the refs intervene. When that happens I’ll be on board. Til then, I have my reservations too.

Yea totally agree. Like, just win 50% of your games while under duress and go toe to effing toe with the national champs at their place for over 40 minutes til the refs intervene. When that happens I’ll be on board. Til then, I have my reservations too.
Or, show us you can start a season strong, while recruiting strong, and adjust as injuries occur. Last year was great, but it didn’t involve off-season prep, recruiting, etc.

Even then. Now do that with your 3rd string QB and a roster your predecessor couldn’t win more than 3 games with and we’ll talk.

Even then. Now do that with your 3rd string QB and a roster your predecessor couldn’t win more than 3 games with and we’ll talk.
Good point. The roster he acquired mid season in the teeth of the schedule was not his predecessor’s.
you guys make great points
I’ll hang up and listen

Good point. The roster he acquired mid season in the teeth of the schedule was not his predecessor’s.
you guys make great points
I’ll hang up and listen

Teeth of the schedule is a bit much; Ole Miss and Clemson were past and UGA at the very end. Still had the QB thing but makes it an unknown.

Ok whatever. I’m optimistic but realistically it’s georgia tech. Fortunately the landscape of CFB has made it such that it’s easy to just not care that much

Listen, optimism is a wonderful feeling. We all feel it. I’m just worried all this off season talk could lead to massive disgruntlement even if we are on the right track. Say we start out 2-4 with our wins coming against SC State and BG. Many if these same posters who are back slapping a coaching staff who hasn’t coached 1 game yet will turn on them in a heartbeat which wouldn’t be fair.

I really like this staff but I’m not putting any expectations on them at all for 2023 because our OLine has been a mess for 5 years running. This is a rebuild project. This isn’t Johnson handing Collins a team who finished above .500 and went to a bowl game. Everyone called that a rebuild because they were stupid. Key is taking over a dumpster fire and this staff is having to do an actual rebuild. That takes time. Keys modest success as the interim was great for thirsty people who needed water but he knows there is a long way to go. And our first 4 real opponents are legit - Louisville will put up points, Ole Miss vs. Thacker we’ve seen before, Clawson is the best coach in the ACC, and Miami has more talent. I’m just worried what our fanbase will become if we finish 4-8. We need to realize as a fanbase where we are in a process. And we are a long way from where we want to be. Luckily, the ACC is mostly mid level football so we should be in a lot of games which should be fun. I wish we could just give Key 2 years of room before we start putting expectations on him. He’s a first time head coach and we’ll have a very young QB with question marks all over the roster.

Back