2024 Recruiting

Dontae is graduating and there were already 2 other RB commits. I actually think it's Jamal Haynes looming large in the pecking order after converting to RB with a couple years to go.
Not sure what the big deal is about Jamal Haynes.

Other than the fact that no one has ever tackled him between the 2-yard line and the endzone.

Curiously, the number and position of defenders does not seem to be an input into the equation.

Defensive Tackle has him in a suffocating bear hug - can't breathe - feet not touching the ground?? No problem: TD.

Cornerback and Safety directly in front of him - in his way - blocking his path?? Hold my beer: TD.

Defensive End and Linebacker have him completely wrapped up - dead to rights - no where to go but down? Pffffft - nuther day at the office. TD.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but Downs had gained ‘bad’ weight also and the coaches weren’t happy. There have been several recent instances where the offers have been withdrawn in the last class including this one. Early commitments should always be taken with a grain of salt. Decommitments happen even to the blue blood factories.

84ifrb.jpg

I'm going to give just one example, but this is true in many instances. A kid from Lagrange that was not on anyone's 3* or 4* radar was given a scholarship offer to Ga State. He put up some good numbers there and then hit the transfer portal and ended up at Louisville. He torched us along with several other schools. Will probably get drafted. His name is Jamari Thrash. You should check out his numbers. But, nah let's keep going after kids that don't live up to their star credentials or decide I don't want to put in the work to turn a program around.
Can you share your crystal ball about which under the radar guys will be great and which 4* guys will bust?

Because there are a whole lot more 4* who are great and a whole lot more under the radar guys who are not.

Can you share your crystal ball about which under the radar guys will be great and which 4* guys will bust?

Because there are a whole lot more 4* who are great and a whole lot more under the radar guys who are not.
Get Geoff to scout them, if he likes them those are probably your non-great ones

Here's a SA that might be a good fit for the GT football program;

Air Force tight end Caleb Rillos tries to keep transfer portal from becoming distraction
Caleb Rillos has established a firm list of priorities to guide him through a unique senior football season at Air Force.
The hierarchy goes – school, football, all the other “side conversations, and those have grown plentiful after his entry into the transfer portal.
“That’s the order for everything,” said Rillos, the 6-foot-6, 255-pound tight end from Golden who has been an academic standout at the academy.
“I never want to have my team or anyone think I’m not fully involved, because I am,” the Ralston Valley High School graduate said.
The vast majority of players in the transfer portal join either after departing their team or as a way to evaluate options during the offseason. Rillos’ situation is different because of Air Force Academy policy. As a senior who will graduate with honors in May, he does not have the option of returning to the Falcons in the Fall of 2024. He does, however, have two years of NCAA eligibility remaining. He also, on the strength of his academic record (a GPA around 3.9 as a mechanical engineering major -- has access to one of Air Force’s competitive graduate school slots.
If he can match a graduate school – he’d like to get an MBA or master’s degree in systems engineering or mechanical engineering – with a non-athletic scholarship (Air Force requirement) at a program that would also welcome him onto the football team, he can keep playing
By entering the transfer portal during the season, it has allowed other programs to put him on the radar and make contact. At this point he sees potential landing spots at Florida, Virginia or Rice.
“I’ll definitely go to grad school no matter what, I just don’t know the exact school or the exact location because I have to work with our own school and other programs to make it work,” said Rillos, whose parents – Matt Rillos, a football player under coach Fisher DeBerry, and Brooke (Effland) Rillos, the academy's Most Valuable Female Athlete as a standout volleyball player in 1999-2000 – are both Air Force graduates.
Recent examples of Air Force athletes who continued their careers beyond the academy by way of graduate school include quarterback Isaiah Sanders (Stanford) and punter Charlie Scott (Alabama) in football and Carter Murphy (currently at Georgia Tech) in basketball.
Rillos has caught passes in five consecutive games for the Falcons (8-1, 5-0 Mountain West) and consistently grades high as a blocker, according to numbers posted by Pro Football Focus.
“We’ve been asked about him,” said Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, who noted Rillos’ catch radius because of his long arms and willingness to extend them and his confidence in his ball skills among his strengths, in addition to focus and energy. “Boy, I mean, he is exceptionally bright. I think he could go to any graduate school out of the 127 schools that have graduate schools.
“He’d be a great addition.”
That doesn’t mean Calhoun is entirely on board with the situation thrust upon Rillos. Calhoun has long advocated for ways to allow cadet-athletes to be afforded longer playing windows than what are currently allowed under the eight-semester framework of an Air Force education.
Asked if he had thoughts on the issue, Calhoun responded: “Oh I do, I just can’t share of publicly. I definitely do.”
Rillos knows nothing is guaranteed about his future, but he knows Air Force has three more games on the regular-season schedule, plus bowl eligibility, plus the potential of playing in (and perhaps hosting) the Mountain West championship game. He’s trying to soak it all in.
“Hopefully it does (work out with graduate school) and I have some more games on my plate,” he said. “But if it doesn’t, this is one of the greatest teams I could have played with for my last year.”
Article by Brent Briggeman

All reactions:

Here's a SA that might be a good fit for the GT football program;

Air Force tight end Caleb Rillos tries to keep transfer portal from becoming distraction
Caleb Rillos has established a firm list of priorities to guide him through a unique senior football season at Air Force.
The hierarchy goes – school, football, all the other “side conversations, and those have grown plentiful after his entry into the transfer portal.
“That’s the order for everything,” said Rillos, the 6-foot-6, 255-pound tight end from Golden who has been an academic standout at the academy.
“I never want to have my team or anyone think I’m not fully involved, because I am,” the Ralston Valley High School graduate said.
The vast majority of players in the transfer portal join either after departing their team or as a way to evaluate options during the offseason. Rillos’ situation is different because of Air Force Academy policy. As a senior who will graduate with honors in May, he does not have the option of returning to the Falcons in the Fall of 2024. He does, however, have two years of NCAA eligibility remaining. He also, on the strength of his academic record (a GPA around 3.9 as a mechanical engineering major -- has access to one of Air Force’s competitive graduate school slots.
If he can match a graduate school – he’d like to get an MBA or master’s degree in systems engineering or mechanical engineering – with a non-athletic scholarship (Air Force requirement) at a program that would also welcome him onto the football team, he can keep playing
By entering the transfer portal during the season, it has allowed other programs to put him on the radar and make contact. At this point he sees potential landing spots at Florida, Virginia or Rice.
“I’ll definitely go to grad school no matter what, I just don’t know the exact school or the exact location because I have to work with our own school and other programs to make it work,” said Rillos, whose parents – Matt Rillos, a football player under coach Fisher DeBerry, and Brooke (Effland) Rillos, the academy's Most Valuable Female Athlete as a standout volleyball player in 1999-2000 – are both Air Force graduates.
Recent examples of Air Force athletes who continued their careers beyond the academy by way of graduate school include quarterback Isaiah Sanders (Stanford) and punter Charlie Scott (Alabama) in football and Carter Murphy (currently at Georgia Tech) in basketball.
Rillos has caught passes in five consecutive games for the Falcons (8-1, 5-0 Mountain West) and consistently grades high as a blocker, according to numbers posted by Pro Football Focus.
“We’ve been asked about him,” said Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, who noted Rillos’ catch radius because of his long arms and willingness to extend them and his confidence in his ball skills among his strengths, in addition to focus and energy. “Boy, I mean, he is exceptionally bright. I think he could go to any graduate school out of the 127 schools that have graduate schools.
“He’d be a great addition.”
That doesn’t mean Calhoun is entirely on board with the situation thrust upon Rillos. Calhoun has long advocated for ways to allow cadet-athletes to be afforded longer playing windows than what are currently allowed under the eight-semester framework of an Air Force education.
Asked if he had thoughts on the issue, Calhoun responded: “Oh I do, I just can’t share of publicly. I definitely do.”
Rillos knows nothing is guaranteed about his future, but he knows Air Force has three more games on the regular-season schedule, plus bowl eligibility, plus the potential of playing in (and perhaps hosting) the Mountain West championship game. He’s trying to soak it all in.
“Hopefully it does (work out with graduate school) and I have some more games on my plate,” he said. “But if it doesn’t, this is one of the greatest teams I could have played with for my last year.”
Article by Brent Briggeman

All reactions:

Tim McFarlin coached one of this kid's current AF teammates. Network this, Tim.

Enjoying seeing Middle Creek live and Greco is putting on a show. 36 yard TD run on jet. Great 30 yard catch over the middle. Another good run. Blanket coverage on his men. They finally challenged him on a deep crossing route and he cut in front nicely for the pick. He is also their punt returner. A really good football player.

Enjoying seeing Middle Creek live and Greco is putting on a show. 36 yard TD run on jet. Great 30 yard catch over the middle. Another good run. Blanket coverage on his men. They finally challenged him on a deep crossing route and he cut in front nicely for the pick. He is also their punt returner. A really good football player.
I meant Mill Creek. Middle Creek is back home in Raleigh.

Back