#23 - Paula Vaipulu

Exactly, but you are supporting my point not yours. Miami and FSU chose to start those guys on the OL over prior year recruits who had at least 12 months of weightlifting. Some of whom are also 20-22.

Let me be clear. Playing freshmen on our o-line in 2020 will lead to struggles. Absolutely. But you know what else will lead to struggles in 2020? Playing walk-ons who simply will never have the physical gifts necessary to play winning power5 football.

What I am predicting is that CGC will have the same dilemna that Miami and FSU faced. Lose now with guys with lower ceilings or lose now with guys with high ceilings. And I am predicting he will chose the high ceiling because in addition to repeatedly insisting he has a long term not short term outlook, at every fork he has met so far he has favored a long term strategy over instant gratification.

I agree. By and large, you pick your spots intelligently to play for the future. I'd rather have an experienced OL so playing freshman in our situation will reap plenty in the future.

The other point though, which is what kicked off this sidebar, and it sounds as if we in agreement is - it's reasonable to expect we won't see a noticeable improvement in OL play next year, if we're leaning on a significant amount of freshman out there.

I agree. By and large, you pick your spots intelligently to play for the future. I'd rather have an experienced OL so playing freshman in our situation will reap plenty in the future.

The other point though, which is what kicked off this sidebar, and it sounds as if we in agreement is - it's reasonable to expect we won't see a noticeable improvement in OL play next year, if we're leaning on a significant amount of freshman out there.

We have a $600K OL coach and a strength and conditioning coach everyone seems excited about. We should see an significant improvement in OL play next season. I am not saying they will magically be outstanding; but they should most definitely be improved.

We have a $600K OL coach and a strength and conditioning coach everyone seems excited about. We should see an significant improvement in OL play next season. I am not saying they will magically be outstanding; but they should most definitely be improved.
Improvement? Sure. Significant improvement? Depends. Unless we have Jesus on staff, there is only so much they can do.

For the older guys, sure...I think we should expect to see significant gains in play next year.

For the babies, well...chances are they're gonna get a nasty introduction of what it's like to play against grown ass men.

Is the OL going to be better next year? It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Is the OL going to be better next year? It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.
Dumb post. It is simply not possible for the OL to be worse. We have a transition to a new system shorthanded with players not suited to it and then have massive injuries hit. Saying the OL will be better is the easiest prediction in the history of predictions.

Dumb post. It is simply not possible for the OL to be worse. We have a transition to a new system shorthanded with players not suited to it and then have massive injuries hit. Saying the OL will be better is the easiest prediction in the history of predictions.

giphy.gif

Need a grad transfer or two for 2020.
Don't count on it. Most ol grad transfers are not even playing at their current school. There are not many Parker Brauns out there. Would be a major accomplishment to pick up a good ol on the transfer portal.

Not having 2 upper classmen lost for the season would be a quick and dramatic way to start an OL turnaround.

It is incredibly rare to play well on the OL as a freshman. It is rare to have the strength and to react to the speed and agility of defensive players. Even when you are the best your school has as a frosh and can start, you would likely be better served by a redshirt year of practice and strength and conditioning work.

It is incredibly rare to play well on the OL as a freshman. It is rare to have the strength and to react to the speed and agility of defensive players. Even when you are the best your school has as a frosh and can start, you would likely be better served by a redshirt year of practice and strength and conditioning work.
How so?

Do you think a true sophomore falls behind a redshirt freshman?

I disagree.

Redshirting only makes sense if you have depth and upper classmen. Better to redshirt a Fr and play the Jr or Sr who doesn’t have the same potential. But if it’s a true Fr vs no one or a walk-on, let the Fr get the experience and learn on the job.

Back