#25 Jeff Sims

Unless Sims is enrolling early, I’d say the odds of him being the starter by mid-season are pretty low. Gleason will have a huge advantage over him.

People need to remember that Lucas was deemed QB1 at the beginning of last season. Graham was QB3. Not saying the staff can’t evaluate talent. Just tells me one guy looked better at practice, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Gleason lights it up this Spring. The coaches will be able to run the entire playbook with him, and I imagine the defense is gonna have a tougher time defending.

For the record, I’ve never seen Gleason play. My prediction is based solely on having seen Graham play and the fact that Collins went after Gleason immediately after getting the job.
IIRC, Sims and Gleason are both early enrollees.

And I'm likewise almost certain that the coaches picked Oliver as QB1 because we were opening in Clemson on national television and Oliver was the only one of the 3 who had played significant minutes before. That would be a tall ask in a new system with a redshirt freshman who has played a sum total of about 20 snaps and few of those were meaningful snaps.

Edited: I just confirmed. Sims is an early enrollee, like Gleason. Both will get the opportunity to go through the weight program and spring ball...huge advantage over fall enrollee. Honestly, I think Yates' decision when he changed his mind and decided not to early enroll hurt his chances at being the starter this past year; whereas he might have had a shot if he had played in the spring.

Last edited:
Sims has a lot of work to do to reach his potential. I don't see him playing next year, except possibly utilizing the redshirt rule to get some live snaps.

Unless Sims is enrolling early, I’d say the odds of him being the starter by mid-season are pretty low. Gleason will have a huge advantage over him.

People need to remember that Lucas was deemed QB1 at the beginning of last season. Graham was QB3. Not saying the staff can’t evaluate talent. Just tells me one guy looked better at practice, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Gleason lights it up this Spring. The coaches will be able to run the entire playbook with him, and I imagine the defense is gonna have a tougher time defending.

For the record, I’ve never seen Gleason play. My prediction is based solely on having seen Graham play and the fact that Collins went after Gleason immediately after getting the job.
Gleason's high school coach coached Aaron Murray and Robert Marve and says Gleason is better at this stage. But competition is king, and Collins know we need a very good quarterback for the next several years. CGC probably is thinking a couple of seasons or more, ahead. Might be interesting to know in the spring who is going to play in the upcoming fall. Just sayin'.

Gleason's high school coach coached Aaron Murray and Robert Marve and says Gleason is better at this stage. But competition is king, and Collins know we need a very good quarterback for the next several years. CGC probably is thinking a couple of seasons or more, ahead. Might be interesting to know in the spring who is going to play in the upcoming fall. Just sayin'.

It's not as though Sims just fell in our lap and we took him out of pity. We have been on him for quite a while. If not for the coaching change at FSU we had no shot, but Sims is a Jacket today because we stayed on him and he knew he was wanted all along. What I'm saying is, our coaches legitimately like him as a prospect.

Gleason I think has a much better chance to play this fall, agreed.

I'd say one in three that 1 of the 2 T-Fr get the gig, and at the beginning of the season.

Let's look at the competition. Graham did not show an understanding of college level defenses, not consistently. Yates didn't get the snaps to show he understood defs, and I trust the coaches who saw more of him than I did during the week. Johnson had some good streaks, and some not. Oliver has moved. Ryan Lantz could not win the job as a walk-on freshman. Liam Byrne saw some playing time a year removed... as an emergency wr.

So everyone gets a chance to mature in the spring and show what they have. Everyone is young, except Johnson who will be a R-Jr. I'm rooting for all of them. I'd say the one who starts will be the one who, like you said, best demonstrates college level processing by the end of spring.

I don't disagree with any of that.

I suspect that JG4's trajectory will be higher, faster and we will see tremendous improvement. He's got some work to do as far as growing as a fundamental QB (getting rid of the ball, knowing coverages so that you can anticipate blitzes, knowing protections). He does do some things really well, he's shown he is able throw to open areas rather than straight at his man. He's shown he can put the ball where only Ahmarean and Malachi can get to it. As for how he throws it, he's shown he can put zip or touch on it.

I watched Gleason play twice this year. I have some former highschool teammates on his coaching staff. He's got what it takes too. His team had a bad season due to school rezoning. They lost some guys and he was left with obviously subpar talent in one of the most competitive districts in the state.

Basically, Gleason and Sims will go through the same learning growing pains that Graham and Yates did last year.

I've seen all three play live and played with one of them and know his base coming out of highschool.

I will say Aaron and Marve benefited from having much better talent around them at every position, including OL.

Here's the kicker, and something to be extremely excited about. I personally believe Aaron/Marve were more athletic than Gleason. That would mean Coach Weiner thinks he is a better processor.
Aaron and I were taught by Steve DeBerg until he transferred. Coach DeBerg taught us some insane levels of football along with our OL coach who played 10yrs in the league.
If Gleason's level of understanding the game is better than Aaron's, that is some serious stuff to be excited about.

As others have already mentioned, Sims is expected to enroll early.

Beyond that, Graham had academic eligibility issues that put him a little behind the competition initially. He apparently took on a larger course load and wasn't able to focus as much on football for awhile.

As others have already mentioned, Sims is expected to enroll early.

Beyond that, Graham had academic eligibility issues that put him a little behind the competition initially. He apparently took on a larger course load and wasn't able to focus as much on football for awhile.

I kinda forgot the details, but there's a meta strategy for how to best stay eligible from day one that can help to eliminate risk while also keeping you on track. It does not involve taking more coursework during the season...lmao.

I kinda forgot the details, but there's a meta strategy for how to best stay eligible from day one that can help to eliminate risk while also keeping you on track. It does not involve taking more coursework during the season...lmao.

The larger coursework load was a result of his eligibility issues. That’s how I understand it anyway. He was not making proper progress towards his graduation. Thus, the 14 hours required during summer and him wearing number 14 during that time.

How does Sims enrolling early work? As in, if I was a high school senior, I couldn't imagine not technically knowing where I was going to college until about three weeks before.

How does Sims enrolling early work? As in, if I was a high school senior, I couldn't imagine not technically knowing where I was going to college until about three weeks before.
Same as the other 7 early enrollees, although most of them have been committed to GT for a while. Sims knows that his best shot at early playing time means early enrollment so he was academically set up to do that. All along, he planned on that being FSU until the new coach basically told him he probably wouldn't get playing time there. So he shifted to what turned out to be a better option anyway.

At the most basic level, sign on the dotted line, show up to the football office a few days before the semester starts for orientation.

At the most basic level, sign on the dotted line, show up to the football office a few days before the semester starts for orientation.
It'll definitely be a whirlwind, but starting college is a whirlwind even if you know where you are going months in advance. And our football players are in especially capable hands.

I would suspect, in order to get a 4 star of his caliber, some promises were conveyed about PT. Expect him to play some. Like, if nothing else, a gadget package similar to what they gave Nesbitt as a freshman.

I would suspect, in order to get a 4 star of his caliber, some promises were conveyed about PT. Expect him to play some. Like, if nothing else, a gadget package similar to what they gave Nesbitt as a freshman.

Hopefully not the same package the Dwags gave Fields.

Hopefully not the same package the Dwags gave Fields.

I think it's all dependent on his development in practice throwing the ball. At a minimum, though, he's a prime time athlete fully capable of handling a lot of the read-option and QB keeper stuff that Graham was doing.

My 2 cents: I expect that one of the "other 3" (Yates, Gleason, Sims) will be as good at running the offense and making most of the passes as Graham is by early in the season but the reason that Graham is likely to keep the job is because he is the best athlete, best runner of the group, and can make something happen even when the blocking breaks down. I expect the OL to be improved but not great early in the season.

BTW, I know "the other 3" are all good runners but Graham is likely on another level.

So my hope is that Graham improves on his passing that it isn't even a debate of who should start.

Looking at his highlights, Sims has one of my favorite QB traits, a really quick release, even without his feet placed well.

His athleticism will synergize nicely with that. I can see a lot of bootlegs and throws on the run to buy time for Ahmarean to juke someone outta his socks.

Back