5 Years $21.33M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key would not be among my top 1o or 20 candidates. However, if they hire him I will hope that I'm wrong.

I don’t want to overpay, but we also don’t need to be in the bottom 3rd of ACC salaries, thats embarrassing and it sends the message that we are cheap-asses that aren’t serious about winning. We need to be smarter on the buyout.
But, if we weren't cheap asses and serious about winning we wouldn't be hiring BK.

just want some additional exposure for this

xB12PaV.png

let me know if I can be of further assistance

Some of you guys are absolute idiots.

No coach on earth worth a öööö is going to take some heavy performance based contract that pays based on wins. And if Key did take that, he would be looking for the first opportunity elsewhere to jump ship.

GT is not some special unicorn that is going to be able to pay the head coach differently than every other P5 school.

We don't GAF. This is just the issue with coaching salaries in general. Brian Kelly goes to Texas for ööööloads of money and gets wrecked. Jimbo goes to a&m for ööööloads of money and gets wrecked. Are they not both "proven" coaches?

Give me a guy who A) wants to be here B) has something to prove C) can prove it and we will take better care of him than bama has taken care of Saban.

Even Saban doesn't have the performance based incentives that I'm lining up and would have made lots more money under a contract like this than he has over the past 10 years under his deals.

Yes you have to pay to retain a good coach, but the issue is and has been these coaches are getting paid before they show out which is ass backwards in all of life even if they won at "previous" jobs. We don't GAF if they're on a 60 game winning streak with paraplegic players vs Tom Brady. The idiots are the ones who keep wanting to pay coaches before they come here and win for us.

We don't GAF. This is just the issue with coaching salaries in general. Brian Kelly goes to Texas for ööööloads of money and gets wrecked. Jimbo goes to a&m for ööööloads of money and gets wrecked. Are they not both "proven" coaches?

Give me a guy who A) wants to be here B) has something to prove C) can prove it and we will take better care of him than bama has taken care of Saban.

Even Saban doesn't have the performance based incentives that I'm lining up and would have made lots more money under a contract like this than he has over the past 10 years under his deals.

Yes you have to pay to retain a good coach, but the issue is and has been these coaches are getting paid before they show out which is ass backwards in all of life even if they won at "previous" jobs. We don't GAF if they're on a 60 game winning streak with paraplegic players vs Tom Brady. The idiots are the ones who keep wanting to pay coaches before they come here and win for us.
Brian Kelly to Texas?

King of the dumbasses

Brian Kelly goes to Texas for ööööloads of money and gets wrecked.

Brian Kelly is at LSU and ranked #7 in the nation in his first season. If that's what getting wrecked entails, sign me up.

Let's take it a step further though. Let's get RAMBLIN' wrecked!

I really doubt that. Under the contract you outlined, the coach could win a conference title and eleven games each year his first three years and he would still be the lowest paid coach in the conference. That changes with a a national title but even Saban doesn't win a natty every year...

People saying we have to pay Key 4M a year starting out are whack. Crew is right when he says we don’t have to compete with established head coaches salaries. We only, short term, have to compete whit Key’s projected salary if he doesn’t get the job. Is he gonna get a head coach job or still be an assistant? That’s the salary we are competing with.

We are not transitioning out of the option, so I would put in a "suckage" clause. Any year you win three or less the buyout gets cut in half. Why the heck would you hire a coach that believes losing 9 games is a possibility for himself?
And yet Paul went 3-9 the year after going 11-2 and winning the orange bowl.

Things happen and kids get hurt. There is more to the W-L record than just being a good coach.

And yet Paul went 3-9 the year after going 11-2 and winning the orange bowl.

Things happen and kids get hurt. There is more to the W-L record than just being a good coach.
So what? I'm OK with a reset back to full buyout if you proceed to win, say, 8. But if you pull off two 3 win seasons without a good one then do you really deserve millions in severance?

I have no idea if Key is going to be offered the job (and can't imagine he will if we lose the last three or go 1-2 and look bad doing it), but to me, he's ONLY a semi-attractive candidate if he's cheap.

If the money is comparable to what we would have to pay more qualified candidates, then he no longer makes a lot of sense as a candidate.

The point is really straight forward. It’s a probability game. I'm not saying we should pay people more than they're worth, obvi.

People saying we have to pay Key 4M a year starting out are whack. Crew is right when he says we don’t have to compete with established head coaches salaries. We only, short term, have to compete whit Key’s projected salary if he doesn’t get the job. Is he gonna get a head coach job or still be an assistant? That’s the salary we are competing with.
I don't think I've seen anyone say we have to pay Key $4MM but maybe I've missed it.

I would bet that his first contract would be about $2.5-2.8MM/avg x 4 years if he got the job, plus an option year, plus material incentives, and a significantly larger assistants pool. Which may not be a bad route to take.

Key matched his predecessor's annual win total in only 5 games, and had we not gone with experience over talent in the UVA game he'd be 4-1. If he's successful he'll stay here for life (yeah I know that's what they said about Curry). Many reasons why he's worth a shot, despite the OL's performance. At the end of the day, he was an assistant for Clown, not in charge of the program.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, you have Cabrera's comments indicating it's a new day on The Flats. Maybe that starts with doubling the coaching staff payroll budget, and we hire a head coach in the $6.5-7.0MM range, ranking our comp around 20th in power 5 football. Now you're poaching someone; do you go after Fickell ($5MM @ Cincy), Leach ($5MM @ Miss St), Fleck ($5MM @ Minny), Bielema ($4MM @ ILL), Freeze ($4MM @ Liberty), Clawson ($4MM @ Wake), to name a few? Anything north of that is untouchable. I'm guessing at least Miss State, Minnesota and Illinois would match any $7MM offer for their guys, and I really hope (and don't think) Freeze will be in consideration here.

The other names are in the middle... mid-major head coaches (Chadwell is $2MM @ CCU) and big program assistants (BOB is $1.1MM @ Bama) who will command +/-$4MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back