A Word For chan...

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
You are supposedly a big buck, experienced, highly paid football coach... we don't want to hear it is going to take you 3-5 years to get something going here... That is nothing more than a cry for help from a coach who ain't gettin' it done.. Time for you to start makin' it happen, son.. If you can't, then be honorable & turn in your resignation... You came here 'cause you said you didn't want to go to a college program that wasn't Top 25... Well, we WERE Top 25 'til you came here... If you can't make it happen, chan.... gather up your belongings & all of your apologists & depart.. we will have no hard feelings if you do the honorable... If you would like to stay, then it is very simple.. WIN

I can not disagree. With that kind of money, positive results are expected now. And I felt the same about O'L. We have been on too many roller coaster rides for the GTAA to expect more from us while not letting us ask the same of them.

you should make 90k a win for first 6 and 160k for every win over 6.

100k Bonus for Ugag win and 50k bonus for bowl win

Lawbee, I also adhere to the incentive plan with bonuses for achievement.
Beebad, it ain't gonna happen. U have to 'buy out' coaches nowdays to get them off your payroll. If someone plunks down $3 Million, no strings attached, Gailey would be gone quickly. Otherwise, he'll ride out the cash cow til someone does plunk down the millions. He does have a contract & we do have to honor it. Life in the fast lane, ain't it great?

BeeBad, 7-6 is really not all that bad after O'Leary let the wheels come off on a team predicted to be in the top ten. I believe O'leary was just 7-5 with a top ten team.

The facts show that it took O'Leary 3 1/3 years before he had his first decent record of 7-5. The 2 1/3 years prior to that he was 11-14 with no bowl games, and an 0-3 record against UGA.

O'Leary only achieved the 7-5 record after 3 1/3 years only when Ralph came on board for that year. Add to that, O'Leary was 0-4 all time against UGA without Ralph, and no bowl wins without Ralph.

Since Gailey is way ahead of O'Leary's record in the same time frame, and O'Leary had to change offensive coordinators after 2 1/3 years before he achieved the 7-5 record, it appears fair to let Gailey have a shot with a new OC.

As the facts show, Gailey is ahead of O'Leary's pace. Ho hum, same old, same old invalid arguments by the BeeBad's. I guess we have to hear the same old facts of Gailey's edge at this time.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Have read lawbee's post for the last month or so and have come to the conclusion that our heads are connected like siamese twins... his head just happens to be the more patient...

Ace.. I've also studied your posts the past few months... we agree in many ways, you are just more analytical in your analysis.... well, we are only a few short weeks 'til the day of reckoning...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Have read lawbee's post for the last month or so and have come to the conclusion that our heads are connected like siamese twins... his head just happens to be the more patient...

Ace.. I've also studied your posts the past few months... we agree in many ways, you are just more analytical in your analysis.... well, we are only a few short weeks 'til the day of reckoning...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I've studied you're post as well. You say you're "bad", but to you're sad.

Go Jackets!

Ahso... you make reasonable arguments for gailey... I will give you that... I've come to realize that you are not an ardent supporter of gailey, but an individual who is making the attempt to be reasonable.. and hopeful that he is succesful...

Ahso... how would you rate gailey's charisma & leadership qualities?... I'm almost as old as you, I've been observing coaches for over 40 years... In my experience, coaches who are dynamic, charismatic... & exciting are the ones who rally their players & energize the fans... quite frankly, from what I've seen chan gailey is little more than a slug... he has virtually no personality... what do you think? Step up to the plate & rate chandler gailey compared to other topnotch, successful coaches, ahso... How does gailey compare to Mark Richt?... Bob Stoops... Tommy Tuberville?... Chuck at NC?... Bobby Bowden?...

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I've studied you're post as well. You say you're "bad", but to you're sad.

Go Jackets!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTHorrific... in less than 2 months your boy chan gailey is going to have to start winning football games... No more excuses, you and he will be unable to hide anymore... If he doesn't, then you and all your little buddies are going to look very silly, aren't you??.. You will be unable to toss around your insults anymore.. you will be impotent... enjoy your little run here, son, its about over...

Didn't we beat UVA last year, who was supposedly stacked with all of that talent? Didn't we beat NC State last year in the midst one of their finest years ever? Respectable showings against Clemson and FSU. Sure UGAg blew us out, but they did have an exceptional year and, for the most part, probably should have beaten us with the experience that they had and us installing new philosophies all the way around. If charisma won football games we'd have hired Bob Tilton to coach the team. If disipline won football games, Army would play Navy every year for the NC.

By the way, the year before OSU won the National Championship, they finished 7-5, and that's without having to play Nebraska. They should have fired Stoops' (his first year) butt, I guess. We would have tried. I know Oklahoma had been down for a few years prior, but if anyone should expect instantaneous results, it should be Oklahoma.

Beebad it is almost as if you want Tech to fail so you can see the man fired. Is it so important to you to be right that you actually seem to be hoping for a losing season? If anyone seems to be throwing out insults, it's you. If supporting Chan in his sophomore season makes me one of GTTerrific's "Little Buddies" then count me in. Just make sure that you are the Tech fan whooping it up if we are getting beaten. After all, that's what you want.

frown.gif

JJacket.. No, I have no desire for Tech to have a losing season.. Quite frankly, I am totally tired of all Tech fans that I've seen come forward as "suposed" Tech fans... and you my friend are one of 'em...

I agree 100%. Listen,...we all want our head coach to be of strong character and avoid any Mike Price type incidents,..but that's a given. CG and his supporters trot that business out as some sort of defense mechanism for his totally inept performance as a head coach. He's here to win football games,......I wish he would spend less time in the pulpit and more time preparing our team. Why did we suffer through practically all of last season with such a disgraceful effort under center? If he had made the switch last year,..Dbo would have the chance to hit the ground running this year. Why has our in-state recruiting effort so totally evaporated. Why are going head to head with Vandy, Purdue, BC, Baylor and the like and not AU, ugag, FSU on the recruiting trail. It takes players to win football games. The isn't some college-bowl/academic contest were talking about,...it's Southern College Football. We were not well prepared last year and that's a direct reflection on the head coach, regardless of his "moral" strength. You knew where you stood with Coach O'Leary,......he didn't sugarcoat a thing. He was about the players and the team. After all of the progress we made,.....now having to deal with this crap. Will this nightmare ever end?

GATA JACKETS!!!!!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
"Respectable showings against Clemson and FSU"...........................I beg to differ.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Lost by 5 to Clemson in a typhoon. Lost by 8 to FSU. Could have won either of them. I know there are some questions about Chan's use of timeouts in the Clemson game. I just remember that in Richt's first year at UGAg there were several questionable calls as there were last year (putting Shockley in against UF). Differ if you want, but we were in these games and fought hard.
People criticize play calling, but when they work it's a great play. For instance, the incredible run by Hollings against Clemson actually was a blown up play.

What about the decision to run Tony Hollings for the 43rd time on a hot day vs BYU and watch his knee (and ACL) wind up in College Park?

What about the decision to call timeout just before half (WITH THE LEAD) vs Fresno State to have Suggs throw a sideline fade that everyone watching the game knew was coming?

What about Tech's final offensive play with DBO in that same game? A screen pass on 4th and inches.

What about doing absolutely NOTHING to shore up the special teams after losing nearly everybody? Couldn't offer a walk-on punter a promise that he might get a scholarship so he leaves for a place that can.

I'll give him this, he's apologized and said "I underestimated the work ethics of our club and took too many things for granted." To me, that's better than saying, "We're on the right track, just be patient because there's no problems here."

BUT, he can NOT be given a free pass for a 2-10, 3-9 record this year if the same type of problems (IN COACHING) arise like last year. I can accept if the other team is flat out better. The only losses I can see us losing talent-wise are Auburn, FSU, Maryland, NC STATE, and UGA.

BeeBad, that is fair enough. All coaches have their own style. Just to start the comparison off equally, I have been following college football for 56 years.

A coach does not have to be an in-the-face emotional person to be a good coach. The major difference in winning and losing is the teaching of the basics, study and preparation for the game, and the on-field ability of the coach during the games.

Emotion in most games last about a quarter, then the fundamentals, the preparedness of a team for its opponent, and the on-field coaching takes over from there.

There has probably never been a more laid back coach than Bobby Dodd. So, the first example will be from Tech's most successful coach. Tom Landry was one of the most successful pro coaches and he was a laid back coach.

The coach who retired a few years ago from Nebraska was a laid back coach, and Nebraska was a perrenial power.

Ara Parsegian of Miami-Ohio, Northwestern, and Notre Dame was an X's and O's coach. He was one of the better coaches of his time.

Vince Dooley at Georgia was not an in-the-face emotional coach, yet he is the best coach ever at UGA.

From the times I have seen the Virginia Coach, Groh, on the sidelines, he appears to be a laid back coach. I have not seen him emotional nor upset even when his players make a mistake.

The new coach at Notre Dame appears to be laid back. I have watched him on the sidelines of their games, and he seems to never be emotional. I have seen him laugh at bad calls against his team by the officials.

Bobby Bowden does not seem to be that emotional when dealing with his players, however, his DC, Mickey Andrews is very emotionally.

I am not so sure Bobby Ross was an emotional coach. He appeared to be reserved in his coaching.

The Coach at Wake Forest appears to be non-emotional, but he sure does have good game plans with little material.

Give me a smart coach, and I will let you have the coaches with all the emotions.

By the way, just because Gailey let a lot of things slide his first year, does not mean he was not pondering those things in his mind. You should be well aware, he made a bunch of changes after the recruiting season was over. Now, we have to wait to see if those changes were smart.

Do I think he will succeed at Tech? Do I think he will fail at Tech? At this particular time, I cannot draw a conclusion. I will await the results of this year and then make my assessment.

The only thing I have before me is his past history which has been good overall, but there are a few kinks in the his past history that is not bad, but leaves a few questions unanswered.

wink.gif

And how about that great call to punt on 4th and about a foot vs Wake Forest!!!!!!!!!!That's when Gailey lost me.

I just love the way some of you grab these little factoids (many not true) and string them together to make your case. Let's get a few things straight.

1) Chan said we will be "where we want to be" in 3-5 years. I didn't hear him say we'll have losing seasons or that we'll suck til then. Where is "where we want to be" anyway? 'Did anybody say top 25? Maybe he's talking top 10. I'd say 3-5 is pretty reasonable for that. George wasn't where he wanted to be either before he left, he said many times that we needed better linemen to be a consistent top 10-15 team, so he still had some work to do.

2) For those still hung up on Tony's last carry against BYU I have one question. Do you remember what his previous carry was for? .......a TD!!! and he was jumping around celebrating in the endzone! Yeah, anybody could see that knee was shot.

3) It has been reported by many that Suggs was told exactly what to look for in the SVB and was told emphatically that if he didn't get the coverage we wanted, to throw the ball to the band. Sometimes a kid has to do what he's told.

4) The short pass in the SVB WAS WIDE OPEN!!!!! It was a first down plus, but either the WR or the QB screwed the play.

5) Pardon me for not worrying about a high school punter who can't get a scholarship from anybody but Vandy. If the kid was that good why was he going to walk on anyway?

6) And finally, I'm not giving anybody a pass on anything. We sucked against MD, Ugag and Fresno State. That's not acceptable and I don't expect to see it again. But we played pretty damn well against State and UVA and with a QB would have beaten Wake, FSU and Clemson IMO. Chan's job this year is to fix that situation, get the intensity up and win some games.

spin it any way you want to, NCJacket, through whatever colored-glasses you choose to wear.

The problems were there last year, the problems still seem to be there this summer, and now it's a wait and see situation to evaluate what gets done.

Just remember, it IS possible to support a program and yet disagree with the product on the field. The man ultimately responsible for that product on the field has been a big DISAPPOINTMENT thus far IMO and I see no light at the end of the tunnel as of yet.

Back