A Word For chan...

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
BeeBad, that is fair enough. All coaches have their own style. Just to start the comparison off equally, I have been following college football for 56 years.

A coach does not have to be an in-the-face emotional person to be a good coach. The major difference in winning and losing is the teaching of the basics, study and preparation for the game, and the on-field ability of the coach during the games.

Emotion in most games last about a quarter, then the fundamentals, the preparedness of a team for its opponent, and the on-field coaching takes over from there.

There has probably never been a more laid back coach than Bobby Dodd. So, the first example will be from Tech's most successful coach. Tom Landry was one of the most successful pro coaches and he was a laid back coach.

The coach who retired a few years ago from Nebraska was a laid back coach, and Nebraska was a perrenial power.

Ara Parsegian of Miami-Ohio, Northwestern, and Notre Dame was an X's and O's coach. He was one of the better coaches of his time.

Vince Dooley at Georgia was not an in-the-face emotional coach, yet he is the best coach ever at UGA.

From the times I have seen the Virginia Coach, Groh, on the sidelines, he appears to be a laid back coach. I have not seen him emotional nor upset even when his players make a mistake.

The new coach at Notre Dame appears to be laid back. I have watched him on the sidelines of their games, and he seems to never be emotional. I have seen him laugh at bad calls against his team by the officials.

Bobby Bowden does not seem to be that emotional when dealing with his players, however, his DC, Mickey Andrews is very emotionally.

I am not so sure Bobby Ross was an emotional coach. He appeared to be reserved in his coaching.

The Coach at Wake Forest appears to be non-emotional, but he sure does have good game plans with little material.

Give me a smart coach, and I will let you have the coaches with all the emotions.

By the way, just because Gailey let a lot of things slide his first year, does not mean he was not pondering those things in his mind. You should be well aware, he made a bunch of changes after the recruiting season was over. Now, we have to wait to see if those changes were smart.

Do I think he will succeed at Tech? Do I think he will fail at Tech? At this particular time, I cannot draw a conclusion. I will await the results of this year and then make my assessment.

The only thing I have before me is his past history which has been good overall, but there are a few kinks in the his past history that is not bad, but leaves a few questions unanswered.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahso.. good post, certainly a coach does not have to be emotional to be successful.. Different sport, but John Wooden would sit on the bench & hardly move during the entire game.. his thinking being the coaching is done during the practices...

Let me ask you this.. why is chan so unpopular with so many fans?.. granted, unless the previous year results in a championship there's always going to be some disen-chan-tment.. But braine himself said that 35% of the fans are not "on board" with chan... That was before FlunkOutGate... Granted, the season ended poorly.. But you are right, 7-6 isn't exactly a catastrophe...My idea of a good coach is one who can motivate the fan base as well as the team... if not motivational to the fans, at least one who inspires SOME degree of confidence... I see a lack of that in chan.. Why?

BeeBad, I have my own idea, but am not willing to reveal it at this time. You made a statement in one of your past posts that may have partially hit on the reason.

You will have to review your past posts. I will give you a clue, it was a pretty harsh statement and had nothing to do with his coaching abilitiy.

If Gailey had played close against UGA and beaten Fresno State in the bowl game, the real issue for the core group's dislike for Gailey would not have been enough to try to get rid of him.

With the bad vibes at the end of the season, the core group now had a front to use instead of the real reason.

When anyone has a cause, they can usually drag others along with them even though many others do not know the real reason for the cause. It just sounds good.

So, with a disappointing season, some joined the "fire Chan" movement because something was wrong. The fire chan movement sounded good, so some jumped on the bandwagon. This probably made it appear 35% of the fans wanted to get rid of Gailey.

I bet if Tech had a vote of all football ticket holders asking if Gailey should be given this year to correct problems, close to 90% would say yes. It is easy to get strung along with a mob. It is the wise person who is patient and looks at the big picture and looks for more evidence.

If you are a real sleuth, you might be able to come up with a possible reason.

I am convinced BeeWare's dislike for him stems from the same common denominator. Look for the common denominator.

I don't think 35% of the fans are against Gailey and want to fire him. I would say the core group is less than 10%.

When a minority group (has nothing to do with race) decides to advance a particular agenda, they have to come up with an issue to further their cause. Since the team was in disarray, they used this to attack Gailey hoping to get rid of him.

It does not matter that the whole season may have been one of disunity because of many factors, the football season became a good selling point by this core group to get rid of Gailey because they did not like him for other reasons.

Just my opinion.

wink.gif

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
"Respectable showings against Clemson and FSU"...........................I beg to differ.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Anyone who thinks Clemson and Florida State was respectable.... Lets be honest, Neither team beat Tech. Tech threw both games away. The gameplan for Clemson was simply the worst I recall seeing in many years and Florida State was obviously poor Quarterback execution, which falls on the coaching and the athlete.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
BeeBad, what is wrong with Big Buck? On second thought maybe it would be better to leave the question unanswered.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL Big Buck.. poor choice of words in my original post !

2bigT - tell me where I'm spinning anything. Tell me where any of my points are incorrect. We did have problems last year. We don't know if they still exist because, last I checked we haven't played anybody this summer. We will see whether we have the same issues once the season starts.

You choose to see no light at the end of the tunnel. I see a coach who did some good things and some bad things. I'm waiting to see how things develop. If we continue as we did last year we need to make changes. If we improve things are good. What color glasses are those?

And to Beebad, a lot of fans didn't like George either, especially without Fridge. I'm not one, but you could just as easily be describing our state 2 years ago as far as popularity goes. George quited a lot of people down by winning, but when his last year went as it did, the rumbling started again. Chan doesn't have the benefit of a good track record with us yet is the only real difference as far as that goes.

Ahso..

Your 10% of the ticketholders who want him fired sounds about right.. I think he deserves another year, too.. Hopefully this year will be definitive one way or the other so whoever is coach will have a lot more support than chan does at the moment...

I understand your position better now, it is reasonable.. It will be interesting to see how your views evolve as the season unfolds.. Wouldn't it be ironic if mid-October I'm trying to convince you & others that there's no percentage in releasing chan before the end of the season...

NC.. good points

Beebad, there's hope for you yet!

Now throw in some optmism and faith and you never know!

blue.gif

I think that what got the dander up on a lots of Jacket fans was the style of Chan and the times during the course of last season that it looked as if the staff didn't really have a plan or purpose but looked so ill prepared. If you looked no forther than the records of the last two years you couldn't see too much difference in two teams but O'Leary's team didn't have a game like the Ga. debacle and while there were some questionable calls along the way by GO'S team, bad calls seemed to characterize Chan's team. Discipline, or the lack thereof was another big factor with our team last year. So many times we would stop our opponent on third down and give them a reprieve by being offside,hitting out of bound or drawing a late hit penalty after the play was over. My Tech friends, this all comes back to coaching. The winners don't do that with consistency, it is the losers that do. I have seen and heard Chan on a number of occasions and I truly believe he is a fine man with integrity
but I am concerned that he can't survive after this season. Some of the things that will hurt him will be self inflicted wounds but others will not be. I personally feel sorry for the man because from what I have heard and read he was misled and seemingly was not given the best support around,and we all know he wasn't allowed
to check the academic status of his kids. With all
the curve balls that was thrown since arriving on campus I will be more than willing to give him an extra year if his team looks organized and prepared this year. I don't expect Tech to win over three games, four at the most but if Chan can get the ox out of the ditch we all know that he will never embarrass us like the things we have seen by other coaches over the last few month's. I hope we don't expect too much from him this year, including me.

I really want Chan to succeed and I hope he does. But if he makes some of the major FUBARs like he did this year then 2 years is plenty for me and I will call for his head.

He made some mistakes that if he were a manager who worked for you, you could not tolerate a repeat of. Examples: staying with AJ for the whole damn season no matter what. If he had played 2 or 3 QB's and they had all failed, at least we could say that he tried. All we can say now is that he was stubborn.

Another example: the lack of team discipline. Jumping on the "G", etc. Is he lazy or does he just think these guys are grown and they don't need guidance and instruction.

Final example: Lack of leadership and inspiration. We've all commented on his stoicism on the field. Some say its important, some say it ain't. I say there are times when it is important as hell. Rallying the troops to hold a position when they start to falter under attack is conclusive leadership. There are many classic Civil War examples on both sides. The UGAg situation was a similar situation and he couldn't stem the tide or even put up a good fight. He just froze.

So God bless Chan, and I truly hope he exceeds our expectations. But if he underachieves to the extent he did last year, he's a goner, its as simple as that. No 3-5 year plan crap as far as I am concerned. He has to do the fundamentals well, win or lose, to be here in '04.

ylojk8, you must be KING FOCCER around here. (Friend Of Coach Chan for those of you newbies)

Here's another fact. I've YET to see anything worth reading from your posts. You are nothing more than a text-typing cheerleader and I suppse that's fine. But before you go taking up somebody's side, at least bring something to the table.

NCJacket admits that if there's no improvement and more of the same mistakes from last year, a change is needed. That's enough for me. He also made some good points and I appreciate that.

Here's a project for you. Go to last year's box scores at USATODAY.COM and find how many times any of the top 10 rushing backs carried the ball 35+ times in a game. (I'll help you, the answer is ZERO)

Hollings (a converted DB) saw his knee go out on his 36th carry on a humid day. Now that's great coaching. That's equivalent to Danny Hall leaving Bakker out there to try for 175 pitches. It's just not sound coaching.

I'm patient, I'm still pulling for the Jackets, but I'm also cautiously pessimistic and have a damn right to be after last year.

We'll see you FOCCERS on the other side the night of September 20th at (0-4). Maybe ylojk8 will put down his pom-poms, have a decent 'take' on what's going on, and for once finally make a contribution to the football forum!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
lightningzap.gif
Ladies and Gentlemen.... Elvis has left the building.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We can only wish.

Shoulda known with a font like that we were dealing with deep insecurities.

Who would want to taunt the FOC'ERs if Chan fails. Man, I'm a Tech man and sometimes i'm too harsh in my criticism when things are going bad but I hope with all my heart that the FOC'ers are correct. I just want to see us excel. But these personal attacks on a person because they are optimists is wrong. I tend to be somewhat pessimistic although I like to call myself a realist , but heck, we all want the same thing.
We all have seen the things you enumerated but the man made some staff changes to hopefully
correct some of the comedy you spoke of. He is much more attuned to the realities that goes with the head coach at a 1-A school. It seems that he has made some modifications in his recruiting strategy, so lets give him a chance to succeed. I too, have criticised Chan but I didn't realize he was working under so many restraints. I hope he succeeds.

BeeBad, what is wrong with Big Buck? On second thought maybe it would be better to leave the question unanswered.

I was the one who said I didn't like the hire before he coached a down ... I thought GT could do better and I had my reasons. I didn't wait until the 'year-end' debacles, I didn't like his coaching style, ability or game plans from the beginning.

As the year progressed, we really didn't progress and in the end got worse - even to the Duke game. That was the most unprepared, unmotivated GT team I had seen. Matter-of-fact, I had never seen a team overall at GT that I felt were not ready to play and give there all - last year's team was the exception, they were the first to fall into this negative category.

For me there is no common denominator in my thinking ... my reservations started with the hire and only increased as the season progress, or lack there of.

Look, Chan didn't make sound coaching calls on a few occasions, the SVC vs. Fresno State and were absolute busts. But remember with 7 turnovers we still could have beaten Fresno State. We did defeat 8-0 N.C. State at their place on their homecoming. We could have easily beaten Clemson and Florida State. We did defeat Virginia and end their 6 game winning streak at the time. We did beat North Carolina in a tough game coming off losing Hollings and Gathers the week before.

Sure, Chan called timeout when Clemson was at our 2 yard line facing 4th and goal. And yesm he did continue to play Suggs when he was averaging 3 INT's a game. But in the SVC, after Suggs threw the pick that put us down at the half, he pulled him for Bilbo. I think Chan will make much sounder decisions this year with Bilbo under center. I believe Chan was getting his feet under him and until he goes 3-9, 4-8; I'm behind him 100%

ncjacket don't waste your time trying to preach to the choir here.

you'll be summarily dismissed with a chide that you're spinning stuff and wearing colorful glasses.

some people just want to see and dwell on the bad. they cannot even accept that there was some good. they too are wearing colorful glasses, it's just that their glasses are black.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
What about the decision to run Tony Hollings for the 43rd time on a hot day vs BYU and watch his knee (and ACL) wind up in College Park?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Tony was evaluated closely before he went back on
the field. I sit in the lower west and watched
the doctors and several coaches put him through
his paces cutting and running.

Tony was the only thing working for us in that
game and he wanted to play...I'd leave this one
in the past, its a mute argument.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
"Respectable showings against Clemson and FSU"...........................I beg to differ.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Anyone who thinks Clemson and Florida State was respectable.... Lets be honest, Neither team beat Tech. Tech threw both games away. The gameplan for Clemson was simply the worst I recall seeing in many years and Florida State was obviously poor Quarterback execution, which falls on the coaching and the athlete.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes...and luckily we no longer have O'Brien on the
sideline. Our offense has been schizo since 2001.

I honestly look forward to a more coherent effort
this season.

Back