About that Protracted Chorus of Boos

I don't think there is conscious discrimination against certain teams in the ACC. I do believe that some teams do a lot of whining to the folks in charge, and that translates into efforts by officials to focus on certain calls during the game. I don't think there is any question that (legal) cut blocking is frustrating some of the losing teams, and now officials are obsessing over anything that can be called (illegal) chop blocking. I think the officials went into the game yesterday with an expectation that they would call multiple chop blocks against us. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Good administrators know how to tell the wheel to shut up. Poor administrators do what's easier: respond to every complaint like it's legit. The ACC needs someone to say, "shut up and play the game."

Not so fast my friend. Duke manages 6 points and 125 of total offense against a fairly ****ty NC team.

That is because UNC's defense is stout and is the #5 defense in the nation (link) when ranked by average yards allowed per game. It is UNC's offense that is fairly ****ty; I would say that they have one of the better defensive units in the nation, especially their front seven.

Blocking calls in the ACC has become the equivilent of the MLB strikezone. You spend the first and second drives seeing what is legal and not legal that day. I remember the B.C. coach talking about protecting Matt Ryan in BDS 2 years ago. He was coaching hold until it gets called.

It seems like the focus of blocking calls have gotten so esoteric and subjective that it is beyond the capability of the refs to call appropriately in real time. I enjoyed seeing VagTech getting called for a chop block against ECU but the refs totally blew that call. Then Wake puts saddle on Morgan and rides him around and we get zero calls.

How do you remove the helmet of DEnd that is running past you without holding?

:laugher: Come on. Don't be stupid. That just doesn't make any sense at all, especially not for Wake Forest(small school, small fanbase, not even IN the Triangle) in a down year against the ACC's only outside hope for a national title shot.

You may want to come on because that is exactly the point.

swofford is so pathetic that it indeed does not make sense to have a commish who will insure that the schools in nc get the calls against all the other schools. swofford, by these actions, does not make sense.

It would appear you also forget about the refs allowing the clock to run when we played unc. Not a judgement call - a call against the rules of the game in favor of a team from nc.

You seem to think swofford gives a crap about teams outside of nc winning.

He is a POS.

How can you say that? It was a horrible call. Bebe was driving him to the sideline and he spun around and fell down. I thought they had called a block in the back at first, and was livid.

B. Thomas had a fistfull of jersey on the play....

Bay Bay's holding call was fine. Bay Bay and the corner were pushing each other around. Then it looked like Bay Bay thought Stephen would go inside toward the middle of the field and started shield blocking the inside. When Stephen turned outside, the corner saw it and tried to get away from Bay Bay. Bay Bay let go as soon as he realized Stephen was going outside but that quick stretching of the jersey in his hands was enough to get the call.

Anyway, it looked like Bay Bay had pretty good leverage on the shorter corner and he could have easily put the guy flat on his back.

Blocking calls in the ACC has become the equivilent of the MLB strikezone. You spend the first and second drives seeing what is legal and not legal that day. I remember the B.C. coach talking about protecting Matt Ryan in BDS 2 years ago. He was coaching hold until it gets called.

It seems like the focus of blocking calls have gotten so esoteric and subjective that it is beyond the capability of the refs to call appropriately in real time. I enjoyed seeing VagTech getting called for a chop block against ECU but the refs totally blew that call. Then Wake puts saddle on Morgan and rides him around and we get zero calls.

How do you remove the helmet of DEnd that is running past you without holding?

I agree with you, but in MLB the strike zone---no matter how esoteric-- is the called the same for both teams.

Last night, there were 3 chop blocks and 2 holds against GT--5 judgment calls against GT (not counting the 2 roughing calls). Zero holds or chop blocks against WF (which uses a lot of misdirection and cut blocking) . No judgment calls against WF. That's bias.

Five (or seven) calls to zero. That's not just esoteric--that's bias. You are correct--all you have to do is look at the non-calls on Morgan. That right OT could not match up with Morgan, so he cheated, but was never called for it. That's bias.

450 yards to 290, but the game was tied in regulation. The reason was penalties that killed drives for GT and sustained drives for WF, and most of those penalites came on judgment calls. The judgment calls were all going one way. That's bias.

Happens to GT in at least one ACC game every year.

You may want to come on because that is exactly the point.

swofford is so pathetic that it indeed does not make sense to have a commish who will insure that the schools in nc get the calls against all the other schools. swofford, by these actions, does not make sense.

It would appear you also forget about the refs allowing the clock to run when we played unc. Not a judgement call - a call against the rules of the game in favor of a team from nc.

You seem to think swofford gives a crap about teams outside of nc winning.

He is a POS.

Just to make sure I remember what you're talking about, that was in the game where they spotted a ball 2 yards extra in our favor to get a first down, then Butch had to challenge, then after they reversed it they still tried to mark the ball extra yards forward and he had to scream about again, and then they tried to take his timeout away even though he won the challenge? That was the same game, right?

The refs are awful. They're not biased.

I booed the crap out of those refs at the game, and booed every one of them as they came onto the field for the 2nd half, but after watching the game today, the holding call was right, the roughing the passer and kicker calls were right, and the chop block calls were right. They could've done a better job calling penalties on Wake, but the really serious ones on us were correct calls.

I booed the crap out of those refs at the game, and booed every one of them as they came onto the field for the 2nd half, but after watching the game today, the holding call was right, the roughing the passer and kicker calls were right, and the chop block calls were right. They could've done a better job calling penalties on Wake, but the really serious ones on us were correct calls.
I had a friend at the game who called me at half time raising Hell about those calls--when I finally got a chance to talk and tell him I saw them on TV and they were correct calls he got so mad he hung up--just goes to show what you think you see sometimes AT the game ain't really what happened--I know--I've been there and DONE THAT!:biggthumpup:

A wake fan in front of me was trying to argue it was a good call after the replay. I told the guy you can grab jersey on the inside of a guy while blocking, the guy started to turn and as he turned BayBay released, which is EXACTLY the opposite of an infraction, that is great technique.

I was booing and engouraging the DLine for WF to just turn around because that's all it takes to get hold calls.

I had a friend at the game who called me at half time raising Hell about those calls--when I finally got a chance to talk and tell him I saw them on TV and they were correct calls he got so mad he hung up--just goes to show what you think you see sometimes AT the game ain't really what happened--I know--I've been there and DONE THAT!:biggthumpup:

For all that we made fun of Beamer(rightfully so) for thinking so many of our blocks are dirty, many(not all) GT fans are just as blind at the opposite of the spectrum, thinking it's not possible for us to throw an illegal block.

when they replay it on the big video board, it usually creates a secondary round of boos

then, when the ref tries to talk, understandably there are more boos

The announcers never elaborated on why the crowd continued booing after the holding penalty against GT called back a TD. Didn't the boos reflect a lame call by the officials? Was that holding penalty, which reversed a TD, not worthy of a second viewing by the TV audience? Maybe I missed something here. Can anyone add insight?

The referee's totally sucked,the ACC officials are getting as bad as the SEC ones.

Just to make sure I remember what you're talking about, that was in the game where they spotted a ball 2 yards extra in our favor to get a first down, then Butch had to challenge, then after they reversed it they still tried to mark the ball extra yards forward and he had to scream about again, and then they tried to take his timeout away even though he won the challenge? That was the same game, right?

Sorry, but you have the sequence wrong. He challenged and the booth said the 48 so the ref took it back 6 yds to the Tech 48. Tech starts complaining so they put the ball on the unc 47. At some point they realize that 47 is not = to 48 so they finally spot it correctly.

Again, awful refs.

No I am talking about officiating the game OUTSIDE of the rules by allowing the clock to run after a first down.

swofford rules.

Again, awful refs.

No I am talking about officiating the game OUTSIDE of the rules by allowing the clock to run after a first down.

swofford rules.

Forgetting to give a timeout back after a successful challenge isn't operating outside the rules, but forgetting to stop the clock is? It was a ridiculous screw-up, plain and simple. But there were ridiculous screw-ups against UNC as well. If what happened to UNC happened to us(first the wrong spot, then the wrong spot AFTER REPLAY, then trying to take away a TO after the successful challenge), stingtalk would explode from all the "swofford rules" posts.

Forgetting to give a timeout back after a successful challenge isn't operating outside the rules, but forgetting to stop the clock is? It was a ridiculous screw-up, plain and simple. But there were ridiculous screw-ups against UNC as well. If what happened to UNC happened to us(first the wrong spot, then the wrong spot AFTER REPLAY, then trying to take away a TO after the successful challenge), stingtalk would explode from all the "swofford rules" posts.

Again, the second wrong spot was against Tech!

Again, the second wrong spot was against Tech!

Sorry, missed your post, my bad. But my point still stands. The idea that refs would have been biased against us this past Saturday because Swofford likes NC teams is just ridiculous. It seems like when VT is top 10, everyone says the ACC tries to help them because they just want VT to stay in the national spotlight. But then when we're top 10, they're apparently against us because they a want worse-than-mediocre Wake Forest team to approach .500?

Back