Adding majors

Should GT add majors?

• Total voters
perhaps... I am just not convinced. agree to disagree?

Let me repeat the very simple concept here.

Expanding majors help cast a wider net on students hence casting a wider net on student athletes.

In regards to that concept, Currently GT allows UGA to compete with us directly for engineering students whether you admit that or not. It will only get worse.

Currently GT doesn't take advantage of degrees within its Technical background that meet the needs of todays workplace.

The suggestion is to expand within that demographic ineffect solidifying our borders.

Two basic principles of war... 1.) Solidify your borders. 2.) Expand.

I don't want GT to be some sloppy Technical degree in 50 years and with what is happpening on the Regents front that will happen. Take the pride of athletics out of it and all the money it brings and it will happen faster.

Last edited:
I am not saying they are bad opinions, I am saying the argument made by architorture is that they are valued less.

Nothing personal.

My response was really aimed at Desqc:

I will look down on sidewalk fans academically all damn day. They have no valid input on GT academic issues.

I think that somone can have valid input even if he/she never experienced something. I've never been a parent, but I certainly have opinions about what is good parenting and bad parenting.

If this was football related, I would agree. But its not.

Expanding majors help cast a wider net on students hence casting a wider net on student athletes.

In regards to that concept, Currently GT allows UGA to compete with us directly for engineering students whether you admit that or not. It will only get worse.

Currently GT doesn't take advantage of degrees within its Technical background that meet the needs of todays workplace.

The suggestion is to expand within that demographic ineffect solidifying our borders.

I don't want GT to be some sloppy Technical degree in 50 years and with what is happpening on the Regents front that will happen. Take the pride of athletics out of it and allt he money it brings and it will happen faster.

We need to com

I agree with this guy. I might not be a GT alum but on Stingtalk if you don't agree with BOR you are a f'n idiot. Just the way it is.

Tech's trajectory does not suggest the Institute is misaligned relative to market needs. In fact, the opposite is true as evidenced by the direction of research dollars. Newer programs, such as Biomedical Engineering, are excelling. Biomedical Engineering is a top 2 program nationally in less than 12 years. In fact, this program may have replaced John Hopkins as #1. I think Tech understands quite well it's brand and it's blue ocean.

That said, we can improve our regional mix. We need more students from Ga. It has likely been harder for Ga residents given the growing national and international reputation of Tech, thus the rationale for watered-down engineering at UGA.

Ma Tech is not slipping. She is gaining momentum.

B. Hix

Tech's trajectory does not suggest the Institute is misaligned relative to market needs. In fact, the opposite is true as evidenced by the direction of research dollars. Newer programs, such as Biomedical Engineering, are excelling. Biomedical Engineering is a top 2 program nationally in less than 12 years. In fact, this program may have replaced John Hopkins as #1. I think Tech understands quite well it's brand and it's blue ocean.

That said, we can improve our regional mix. We need more students from Ga. It has likely been harder for Ga residents given the growing national and international reputation of Tech, thus the rationale for watered-down engineering at UGA.

Ma Tech is not slipping. She is gaining momentum.

B. Hix

Same with our management program (especially MBA), it used to be behind uga's 10-15 years ago, now it's WAY ahead.

I just looked up the degrees offered in Syracuse's, Northwestern, and UNC's Schools of Communication (3 of the top in the country). Here are some of the majors that they offer:
Advertising
Broadcast and Digital Journalism
Graphic Design

Magazine
Newspaper and Online Journalism
Photography
Public Relations
Television-Radio-Film
Communications Studies
Speech and hearing science
Human Communication Sciences

Communication Studies
Radio / Television / Film
Performance Studies
Theatre
Dance

That is a pretty wide scope of majors, but I'm sure we could find 4 or 5 that would work well within GT's technical scope that would benefit the state. I've bolded a few that might fit. I have no doubt that if GT were to get in this area, the school would offer top 10 programs within 10 years.

I've said it before: I want to win some football games. If adding a major helps that, fine with me.

PS. I have a degree from GT.

I don't want GT to be some sloppy Technical degree in 50 years and with what is happpening on the Regents front that will happen. Take the pride of athletics out of it and all the money it brings and it will happen faster.

Are you concerned about southern poly? They have an engineering program which far exceeds uga, but I haven't heard concerns about them. This isn't about owning every engineer in the state. Otherwise, degrees wouldn't be available at multiple universities. Should we worry about GSCU's business program taking over? Should we worry about Valdosta state's CS program?

regarding SAs, they still have different priorities. How many of our SAs are engineers? Bedford is the only one that comes to mind for me (and he's gone).

lastly, for the most part, our rankings have all been going up. I think tech knows what's it's doing. I don't see the black hole that you do.

Tech's excellence is needed in the area of Education Majors. The State of Georgia has some of the worst High Schools in the Country and we could help. We need to change our philosophy of "everyone take Calculus, it's good for you" (even though no one in the real world except research guys use it). Calculus is a waste of valuable class time for anyone except highly technical Majors like Engineering.

Like Football with the triple option, we need more options in the classroom.

Are you concerned about southern poly? They have an engineering program which far exceeds uga, but I haven't heard concerns about them. This isn't about owning every engineer in the state. Otherwise, degrees wouldn't be available at multiple universities. Should we worry about GSCU's business program taking over? Should we worry about Valdosta state's CS program?.

of course not, but they aren't the "flagship" state institution with majority representation in the BoR. Don't be dense.

If uga ever gets an engineering program that's recognized nationally, I'll become concerned about being replaced. Until then, the BoR can't touch us.

Guys. Hey guys. Listen. Seriously guys.

We can't beat Georgia in football because they have easier different majors and stuff than we do.

Listen to this. Guys.

How about we steal their majors and then like all their players will come to GT now? Right man. Get it. We steal all their easy majors and then we're just like them. And then we win man. We go out and win from now on just like that. They can't compete with that, right.

Guys......... Guys?

lol. missed this the first time.

Back