Adidas outbid Nike for the Jackets contract

This is a good thing. Adidas has made some great stuff lately and is really popular with kids. I work in a high school and Adidas is HOT right now. They passed Under Armour and have an "edge" Nike doesn't right now.
This. Under Armor <<< adidas for sure.

Also, adidas has been gaining in the market for years now, while Nike has begun to drop. They're basically even internationally at this point, meaning that adidas has plenty of resources to make good stuff. This is the best option, IMO, because adidas needs opportunities to showcase their stuff to gain more traction in the CFB market.

I wonder why they decided to announce it now and then trot our entire 2017-18 athletic program out in Russell gear? Not a huge deal but I just wonder who that benefits
Recruiting. Although I guess we could have already started telling recruits that we'll be an adidas school, but that would have undercut our official announcement because it obviously would have leaked.

You know the rule.
lerma-1503055008.jpg

I was initially not happy about this because I have gotten to really like UA apparel in terms of quality and design. But I'm coming around. UA's CEO deciding to be a SJW snowflake helps me in this.

super jelly right now. all I got as an equipment manager was crappy russell stuff.

It's pretty bad when your former AA management is skull dragging Russell as it tries to quietly go out the door.
They deserve it. I have tried for years to understand why Russell so consistently screwed up and/or half-assed our uniforms, and I still don't have an answer other than "they're a öööö organization." I've hoped they would go out of business since the first time I watched them send our players out in a uniform from years before. If absolutely nothing else, I assume adidas will give us whichever colors and variations we'll need during the season rather than giving us a home white, away white, and a box marked "1997 jerseys/2005 pants"

They deserve it. I have tried for years to understand why Russell so consistently screwed up and/or half-assed our uniforms, and I still don't have an answer other than "they're a öööö organization." I've hoped they would go out of business since the first time I watched them send our players out in a uniform from years before. If absolutely nothing else, I assume adidas will give us whichever colors and variations we'll need during the season rather than giving us a home white, away white, and a box marked "1997 jerseys/2005 pants"

The 2011 uniforms and the bubble wrap letters from another year are quite possibly the worse uniforms ever made.

2011 gold looked like baby öööö

The 2011 uniforms and the bubble wrap letters from another year are quite possibly the worse uniforms ever made.

2011 gold looked like baby öööö
I didn't even mind the gold in 2011, it was the fact that their designs were completely schizophrenic. There was no real design to it at all, just different stripes with the vague hint of a purpose lost and forgotten in the opening stages of development. Then, in either 2012 or 2013, they told us before the season that we would be wearing a "prototype" of something new which they'd be debuting the following season. Bullshit.

I wonder why they decided to announce it now and then trot our entire 2017-18 athletic program out in Russell gear? Not a huge deal but I just wonder who that benefits

Yeah, this just seems like odd timing. I mean, I guess there is a lot of work that will have to be done between GT and Adidas, and maybe they figured they'd rather just announce it as soon as the deal was inked, rather than try to keep it a secret. Still, I have to wonder if we'll get an earlier surpirse.

Actually, first line of the press release says:
adidas and Georgia Tech announced on Tuesday that they have entered into a multi-year partnership in which the three-stripe brand will serve as the exclusive supplier for Georgia Tech athletics uniforms, apparel, footwear and accessories for the Yellow Jackets' 17 varsity sports programs.

so...
Effective July 1, 2018, the new partnership is for six years through 2024.
...smokescreen?

Edit: Oh, I'm dumb. I read that as Yellow Jackets '17 (as in 2017). Oh well, I'm sure a lame duck Russell will keep us looking fresh...

Wouldn't be surprised if they announced tomorrow morning that the 2017 Russell contract was bought out and we'll be in the new unis this season.
Keep seeing this notion over on leddit. This is 100% impossible, correct? One, it seems like a waste of money for adidas. Two, the season starts in what? Like twenty minutes?

I was initially not happy about this because I have gotten to really like UA apparel in terms of quality and design. But I'm coming around. UA's CEO deciding to be a SJW snowflake helps me in this.

Have you seen adidas' latest commercials with the basketball team taping over their jerseys because they say "Indians?" Adidas isn't any better in the SJW department.

I was wondering that last night when they said they had an announcement, b/c it's weird that they would announce this partnership right before the season when our contract isn't up until July 1, 2018

Other schools have announced partnerships a year in advance. Notre Dame did it with UA.

Stansbury was on the radio this morning to pimp the deal. He is not a good radio interview. I think he's doing a good job as AD, but he is dry as öööö.

Anyways. He says we won't see any design concepts till spring.

I misread the first sentence of announcement as adidas will be providing apparel for GT beginning in 2017. Guess we'll have to wait for 2018.

"adidas and Georgia Tech announced on Tuesday that they have entered into a multi-year partnership in which the three-stripe brand will serve as the exclusive supplier for Georgia Tech athletics uniforms, apparel, footwear and accessories for the Yellow Jackets' 17 varsity sports programs"

Stansbury was on the radio this morning to pimp the deal. He is not a good radio interview. I think he's doing a good job as AD, but he is dry as öööö.

Anyways. He says we won't see any design concepts till spring.
This is fine. Their task will change in January when they have to ask themselves if they're creating the best possible product for the new national champion.

Back