AE 87's KS Game Preview, fwiw -- fire away

Terrific information, stinger78. This clearly isn't the GT offense of the first 3 years.

Anybody actually see them play? I don't see either of their games on ESPN3.

While I like the desktop analysis in this thread, I'd like to get an opinion based on how they've 'looked'.

We've completed 15% of our season. In our passing game we have 579 yards and 5 TD's with 17 completions in 26 attempts (65.4%)

In 2010 we had 1091 yards and 9 TD's with 64 completions in 168 attempts (38.1%).

In 2009 we had 1774 Yards and 11 TD's with 78 completions in 168 attempts (46.4%)

In 2008 we had 1290 yards and 5 TD's with 74 completions in 165 attempts (44.8%).

Our passing yards are 53% of 2010, 33% of 2009, and 45% of 2008

Our TD's are 56% of 2010, 45% of 2009, and 100% of 2008.

Our completions are 27% of 2010, 22% of 2009, and 23% of 2008.

Our attempts are 15.5% of 2010 and 2009, 15.7% of 2008.

We're not really throwing any more, we're just completing them and taking them to the house at a faster rate than we did in 2009 with Bebe.

This is what I've been saying. The difference between this year and the previous years' passing game isn't that we've been passing more, but that we've been catching more. It's great, and hopefully can sustain against stronger competition. I'm really thankful for the way scheduling has worked out for us this year in the first four weeks, with competition getting a bit harder each game.

Anybody actually see them play? I don't see either of their games on ESPN3.

While I like the desktop analysis in this thread, I'd like to get an opinion based on how they've 'looked'.

I've got the B1G network and watched some of the NIU game. Both teams looked sloppy. Kanas had some moments of "good" with the passing game, but I will be really pissed if we don't own those fools on our home field.

Checked last year's power rankings from Football Outsiders. Obviously, I don't know what's happened with these teams from last year to this year as far as personnel are concerned.

MTSU - 108th Offense 109th Overall
Purdue - 110th Offense 80th Overall

So, the closeness of that game in week 1 seems to back-up these rankings.

NIU - 35th Offense, 50th Overall
KS - 117th Offense, 116th Overall

It's hard to know whether NIU has fallen off or KS has stepped up, but KS beating NIU may be more significant than I had thought.

FWIW: GT ended last year at 48th Offense, 70th Overall

Also, it should be noted that KS had only 9 drives in the first game and 10 drives in the second. If there was a points/possession stat, I expect their's would be pretty high.

Last edited:
MTSU had some success last week using no-huddle and screen passes. KU had success against us last year, scoring 28 points using a no-huddle. Our offense was sluggish, which was part of the problem, but our defense couldn't get off the field or stop third-down conversions against Kansas's passing attack.
They weren't good--they just found a weakness they could exploit, and we never adapted. We couldn't swap out players, and our guys were dragging. Why we didn't use our time outs on defense to get a breather surprises me.
The "efforts" and conditioning drills on Monday aren't a good omen. We need to get this fixed on defense badly.
Unless we do fix this, or coach around it somehow, this will be a scary game.

Stat of the week: Georgia Tech did not bring their band to Kansas last year.

There are only two keys for GT in this game:

Focus & Effort

We'll be taking this game seriously. We seem to have a better rhythm than we ever had this early in a season under CPJ.

The team should be pissed, play pissed, and show the ACC they are warmed up for conf play. If we take care of business like we have the ability, the prospects for this season seem much brighter.

Stat of the week: Georgia Tech did not bring their band to Kansas last year.
That was one of the many factors that made for a miserable trip to Manhattan last September. Our fan base is not very good at singing the fight songs without the band to lead.

I think its pretty clear that GT is going to put up points. Kansas is very patchwork on defense and even thinner now that their starting DT tore his acl last week. I'd be very suprised to see GT with fewer than 450 total yards, 300 rushing yards, and 30 points (and I expect to be more like 500+ total yards and 40+ points).

But I agree their offense will probably give us a few problems like they did last year. They'll pass with reasonable effectiveness and open up a few runing lanes. Probably something like 350 total yards and 21-30 points.

45-27 I think is a good guess.

I see this team playing with so much more passion than last year's. That said, we smoke Kansas. 45-20 is my guess.

I think we'll find the missing step and 70-7 'em. No disrespect intended but Kansas sucks.

We're gonna come out looking for blood. Poor Kansas is not gonna know what hit them. Grady is gonna be running ambulances like shuttles to BDS at a regular 5 minute interval.

I hope that not a single f*** will be given and we run the score up so high on those Jaybirds that the waterboys will be sent to CVS to buy up all their Vaseline to make things less painful for the coaches and players. To hell with Kansas!! Go f*** a duck, you bird f***ing pussy a** b****es!!

What does KU have to do with anything? We didnt play them last year...

The University of Kansas (located in Lawrence) is known to the locals as KU. Kansas State University (located in Manhattan) is referred to as KSU or KState or KS.

The University of Kansas (located in Lawrence) is known to the locals as KU. Kansas State University (located in Manhattan) is referred to as KSU or KState or KS.

Right, Kansas State. What are we arguing about on here :hsugh:

Back