AE 87's KS Game Preview, fwiw -- fire away

AE 87

Dodd-Like
KS comes to Tech with an experience Tech lacks this season: the experience of having had to play a complete game. KS scored a TD with 9sec left to beat Northern Illinois 45-42.

Interesting Statistic 1: After NIU rushed for 289 yards against Army in week 1, they only rushed for 147 yards against KS in week 2. Indeed, in their first two games, KS has held McNeese St and NIU to an average of 122 yards rushing. KS seems to have a good rush defense.

Behind the Statistic 1: In week 1, NIU beat Army 49-26, on the back of 509 yards of offense: 220 passing and 289 rushing. Saturday against KS, they lost 45-42 while accumulating 464 yards of offense: 315 passing and 147 rushing. However, if we peek behind this statistic, we see that NIU ran 79 plays (63 rush, 16 pass) against Army and 62 plays (29 rush and 33 pass) against KS. Against KS, NIU ran less than half as many rushing plays and more than twice as many passing plays as they did against Army. In other words, after averaging 4.8 yards/rush against Army, they averaged 5.1 yards/rush against KS—the KS rush-defense is apparently worse than Army’s. Rather than reflecting a stout run defense, the statistic seems to point to NIU scheming against a perceived weakness of KS in pass-defense. The NIU QB was 27 of 33.

KS allowed McNeese State 104 yards rushing and 197 yards passing.

Take Away: I’m not worried about the KS defense. We may see more passing from Tevin than we’d otherwise expect. KS seems to be weak in pass defense. However, I also think we’ll see more triple-option. From these statistics, I’m not convinced that they’re really that great in rush-defense. We scored easily to the start the game last year, and most of our stops were self-inflicted (iirc, CPJ called out the team for offense and defense each having enough blown assignments, or something like that, to be too many for the whole team).
Interesting Statistic 2: KS has averaged 490 yards/game; 277 yards rushing. Against NIU they ran for 253 yards and passed for 281. Webb was 21 of 30 for an average of 9.4 yards/pass to 8 different receivers with longs of 36 and 39 yards. The 7 different ball-carriers including Webb averaged 4.2 yards/carry.

Alongside the statistic 2: MTSU had 460 yards of offense against Purdue: 130 yards rushing and 330 yards passing averaging 3.9 yards/carry and 7 yards/pass. They only had 342 yards offense against us: 147 yards rushing and 195 yards passing averaging 5.1 yards/carry and 5.6 yards/pass. It’s hard to know what these statistics say considering how liberally we were substituting and how lopsided the score was early; however, we shut them down as a whole by comparison.

Take Away: I think one can consider MTSU-Purdue and KS-NIU as comparable games—AQ basement competitive with non-AQ 2010 bowl-team, with the winner beside the point given the competitiveness of the game. For what it’s worth, I would’ve thought NIU better than MTSU and Purdue better than KS so the comparison seems reasonable. Given that comparison, GT’s defense of MTSU may bode well for their game against KS who seems to have a similar passing-attack.
I suspect KS may be a bit more competitive than MTSU, but with the return of Philthy and with it being at home, I predict similar results with less playing time by our down-roster players: GT 38, KS 24.

Can you post a picture of yourself? I need to know how I'm going to be insulting you.

Can you post a picture of yourself? I need to know how I'm going to be insulting you.

Your continued existence on the planet is surely sufficient insult againt all who live under the same sky. :biggthumpup:

Kansas fans seem confident that this game is winnable for them, which I can't blame them since that we did lose to them last year.

That being said, I think we whoop them. We have a chip on our shoulder for two reasons: loss to Kansas last year, and NCAA infractions.

42 - 24 Tech

Your continued existence on the planet is surely sufficient insult againt all who live under the same sky. :biggthumpup:

That's the best you can do. I didn't even giggle.

I think y'all are selling our offense short. I believe we score at or above 50 pts again. First home game, Filthy back, TW getting in a groove, waning moon, 1230 kickoff, my bunch will be at the game, no scalping within a 1/4 mile of stadium, CPJ likes kicking *** on teams who he lost to the previous year and shouldn't, first ever stingtalk tailgate.
It's gonna be painful for KU.

To quote an earlier Stingtalker.
Kansas must be crushed like they're defending Berlin from the Red Army. Merciless slaughter. Hide the women and children. I want to film a damn Capital One commercial staring the Kansas team as having the wrong credit card. I want Douglas McArthur and George Patton to blush. They need to be beaten so bad, Kansas becomes hilly. There should only be a smoldering crater on the visiting sideline. The 222-0 record should fall. They need to be hit so hard, their sheer velocity causes an Einstein relativity time slowing effect, so they have to endure the beating for longer. They need to be tackled harder than somebody holding a Get Out of Jail Free card in Athens. They should be beaten so badly they are forever called the Chickenhawks. The defeat should be called the Bleeding Kansas of the Modern Era. This Mississippi River should run backwards and flood with the tears of Kansas players. The Kansas coaches should have to suit up Brown AND The Board of Education to play for lack of personnel by the 2nd Quarter. Wichita, Kansas City, Overland Park, Topeka, Olathe, Lawrence, and Manhatten will be collectively renamed Dodd, Alexander, Heisman, Johnson, Ross, Rice, and Cremins. By halftime the Kansas sideline should be declared a Red Cross Relief Area.

:rant: :fu: :soapbox:

Rage_face.png

PLFrontier-1.png

rage_face.jpg

EPIC+RAGE+FACE+THUMB_675170_981488.jpg

.......... not that I'm bitter or anything ..............

Kansas fans seem confident that this game is winnable for them, which I can't blame them since that we did lose to them last year.

That being said, I think we whoop them. We have a chip on our shoulder for two reasons: loss to Kansas last year, and NCAA infractions.

42 - 24 Tech

I think this is closer to the actual score we'll see, but I think we score more.

I'll add this - based on last week's KU game notes /w some extrapolation.
Possible Offensive Mismatches:
TE - Tim Biere, 20 career starts, watch list for the Mackey Award for Best TE and the College Football Performance Award for Best TE.
KR - Damon Patterson, watch list for the College Football Performance Award for Best KR.
LT - Hawkinson, 25 career starts
C - Hatch, 25 career starts
LG - Ziatnik, Marrongelli (sp), combine for 3 career starts and comprise all the returning starts at this position.

Possible Defensive Mismatches:
DE - Agostino, 2 career starts, most experienced DE on the two deep.
MLB - Willis, 2 career starts, most experienced MLB on the two deep.

So based on that, we should really hope our kick coverage gets better and that our defense is able to better cover short passes up the middle this time around. The weakness at LG looks tempting, but it is shored up by their experience at LT and C, so overall their OL looks decent enough. The RG and tailback positions also look pretty thin for experience.

Their defense is pretty patchwork though, with many of their experienced players being moved to new positions this year. Even though they only have 2 freshmen in the two deep on defense, I don't think they quite have the experience they want where they want it on that unit.

I don't expect they'll hold us below 500 yards of offense, and I suspect we'll have another 200 yard passing day as they cheat themselves to stop the run. With the inexperience at MLB, look for Zenon/Smith to have alot of it.

Kansas 28, Georgia Tech 27: The Jayhawks are well-versed in defending the triple option, and they’re coming off an impressive performance in a win over NIU. NIU led Kansas until the Jayhawks hit a 6 yard touchdown pass with just 9 seconds left.

Kansas 28, Georgia Tech 27: The Jayhawks are well-versed in defending the triple option, and they’re coming off an impressive performance in a win over NIU. NIU led Kansas until the Jayhawks hit a 6 yard touchdown pass with just 9 seconds left.

So close. Had the hook in my mouth, tasted the bait and then spit it out.:nono:

If they run that 4-4 D like they did last season, I'm expecting a field day for Hill/Abacks in the passing game.

If they run that 4-4 D like they did last season, I'm expecting a field day for Hill/Abacks in the passing game.
I am thinking the coaching staff saw how much the triple O may be marginalized w/o a legit passing threat last year. It seems this year they are really working hard to establish the passing threat so that opponents will take notice and not sell out on the run.

We've completed 15% of our season. In our passing game we have 579 yards and 5 TD's with 17 completions in 26 attempts (65.4%)

In 2010 we had 1091 yards and 9 TD's with 64 completions in 168 attempts (38.1%).

In 2009 we had 1774 Yards and 11 TD's with 78 completions in 168 attempts (46.4%)

In 2008 we had 1290 yards and 5 TD's with 74 completions in 165 attempts (44.8%).

Our passing yards are 53% of 2010, 33% of 2009, and 45% of 2008

Our TD's are 56% of 2010, 45% of 2009, and 100% of 2008.

Our completions are 27% of 2010, 22% of 2009, and 23% of 2008.

Our attempts are 15.5% of 2010 and 2009, 15.7% of 2008.

We're not really throwing any more, we're just completing them and taking them to the house at a faster rate than we did in 2009 with Bebe.

This year's team isn't the group of mental pussies that made up the 2010 team. We will be mad, and we will destroy them.

Back