After reading practice reports..

He beat Jim Donnan three times in a row, with a younger more focused Ralph Freidgen as an OC and a Heisman caliber quarterback. If UGA still had Donnan, we probably would have won three or four of the last ten, easy.

2010 O'Leary 1-0 vs Richt
2010 Johnson 0-1 vs Richt

Hmmm....

I can name a coach we had within the last 25 years that beat UGA 3 times in a row.

He left for greener pastures. My point from earlier in the thread. For most GT is a stepping stone. I think Johnson would retire here.

He left for THE greener pasture in his mind. The only one.

We should have just hired him back after they fired him.

I just don't think he would have stuck around when we tightened the recruiting restrictions.

I can't change history buddy. I am just saying I would prefer a solid performer with occasional good/great seasons that starting over with another maybe. No great already proven coaches are taking the job.

I thought Oleary was THE reason for tighter academics.
This. The Hill gave the football team a chance and we blew it. Then they tried again for one year with Chan and we blew it again. If you are going to give exceptions you have to make ---- sure you give them to the right kids who will keep their grades up and graduate.

His success at GT as a head coach was because of Fridge. What we should have done is gone and gotten Fridge.

I do agree we compete against the Bama's, ND's, Stanford's etc never said 4 stars. What I was talking about was guys who fits PJ system on the O and D. Agree with our limited curriculum we are handicapped it has been done and can be done again with the right people at the helm.
By the way KRAZIEJ what do you mean red glasses? Another thing your name on this board is correct.
So basically you're saying you agree? PJ IS recruiting guys who fit his system and he IS recruiting 3 stars for the most part. So what is it you want again?

Before bothering to actually read anything OF has to say about the team or Paul Johnson, just keep in mind that the guy voted that we have a 30% chance to beat Boston College.

Major +1.............. 100% spot on......:biggthumpup:

And that was basically common knowledge among GT fans of the time. There were GT fans in 1999 that wanted to fire OLeary and promote Fridge. It was one of the most common topics of conversation waiting in the line for the pisser in BDS.

From what I have been reading in the Local paper Thomas has been having turnover issues. Lots of concern about there offensive line also.

iMO we win by more then a TD

This thread is so full of revisionist history and lack of logic, I have to post.

When we beat UGA 3 years in a row, they were a 9 win team in 1998 and a 7 win team in 1999 and 2000. The teams throughout the 2000’s were better teams (QB play, RB’s, CVG defenses, 10+ win seasons, etc) – I could argue that the 2008 team was the best UGA team that we’ve beaten in that stretch.

What in recent GT history makes the OP think that we’ll come out and get blown out in the first game?

We beat Auburn in the opener on the road in 2005.
We lost a close game to Notre Dame at home in 2006.
We dominated Notre Dame on the road in 2007.

Sure, Reggie lost to BYU on the road in his first start ever in 2003 – but we didn’t lay down in that game either. Other than that, it has been all scrubs to start the season.

And my opinion: We will not be able to consistently beat the FSU’s, VT’s, and UGA’s of the world (much less the Alabama’s and LSU’s) by going head to head with the same offensive schemes. We can get a few starters that can compete, but have done nothing to prove that we can build the top tier talent with depth. Playing with a different system gives us the best chance to compete for conference titles and build a perennial presence in the national conversation (ACC Championship Games and BCS bowls). Getting to a level where we are consistently winning double digit games per season give us the opportunity to go undefeated in the seasons when the ball bounces our way. That is how college football works, IMO. You have to build a consistent winner to get the benefit of the doubt on the votes and then get lucky on that game or two that leads to a top 4 finish (in the future playoff system, that’s all you need). If its not a CPJ-type, then make it a Mike Leach-type offense and everyone can bitch about that.

This thread is so full of revisionist history and lack of logic, I have to post.

When we beat UGA 3 years in a row, they were a 9 win team in 1998 and a 7 win team in 1999 and 2000. The teams throughout the 2000’s were better teams (QB play, RB’s, CVG defenses, 10+ win seasons, etc) – I could argue that the 2008 team was the best UGA team that we’ve beaten in that stretch.

What in recent GT history makes the OP think that we’ll come out and get blown out in the first game?

We beat Auburn in the opener on the road in 2005.
We lost a close game to Notre Dame at home in 2006.
We dominated Notre Dame on the road in 2007.

Sure, Reggie lost to BYU on the road in his first start ever in 2003 – but we didn’t lay down in that game either. Other than that, it has been all scrubs to start the season.

And my opinion: We will not be able to consistently beat the FSU’s, VT’s, and UGA’s of the world (much less the Alabama’s and LSU’s) by going head to head with the same offensive schemes. We can get a few starters that can compete, but have done nothing to prove that we can build the top tier talent with depth. Playing with a different system gives us the best chance to compete for conference titles and build a perennial presence in the national conversation (ACC Championship Games and BCS bowls). Getting to a level where we are consistently winning double digit games per season give us the opportunity to go undefeated in the seasons when the ball bounces our way. That is how college football works, IMO. You have to build a consistent winner to get the benefit of the doubt on the votes and then get lucky on that game or two that leads to a top 4 finish (in the future playoff system, that’s all you need). If its not a CPJ-type, then make it a Mike Leach-type offense and everyone can bitch about that.

I can agree with that. One thing I would like to say though is with our luck of recruiting qb's it would be tough to go with a Leach style. Chan was known as a qb/O guru when he came in and never got a capable qb. Jones and Hamilton were good but that is two cases in 25ish years. I guess Davis? could have been good with proper coaching. He did fairly in arena ball.

And 2 of the 3 UGA teams that Johnson has lost to were their worst in over a decade.

And 2 of the 3 UGA teams that Johnson has lost to were their worst in over a decade.

I agree with that - we definitely missed 2 chances.

Getting run all over in 2009 was miserable. Especially since we had a great offense and UGA's QB situation was terrible.

2010, we ended our crappy season with a crappy loss to a crappy UGA team. We lost a slap fight... embarrassing. Not 51-7 or throwing the ball away on 4th down embarrassing, but the bar is a little higher.

I still think we're heading in the right direction as a program, especially as an offense. This is the first time that I can remember when I can see what this team will look like in 2 and 3 years. Man, we need a stud at nose.

Even when the dwags have a bad team they are better than us athletically. 09 and 06 we should have won with no excuses. 10 I'd say the teams were about even we just gave up the ball too much.

:bigcry: Did I do this right?

Even when the dwags have a bad team they are better than us athletically. 09 and 06 we should have won with no excuses. 10 I'd say the teams were about even we just gave up the ball too much.

Then let's stop making the excuse that the teams O'Leary beat were bad teams because Donnan coached them.

Johnson can't even beat Richt's worst teams.

Back