AJC Interview with Big Donors - good read

other thoughts ...

Nah, i don't think it's a plea to the fans to hold down the fort. Since their names were already out publicly and linked to this mess,
i think it's a way to get out in front of the impending disaster and in some way provide a defense that says "don't blame me!".

Our "big money" Neville Chamberlains may be quite prepared to do this again next year and surely threaten to warn them much more severely.
so 3 wins instead of 6...
here - take another 3 MIL...... What will 8 wins become?

Is anyone else curious why the new Vichy Regime (new OC + DC) appears to be keeping secret until after signing day?
Could they be so lackluster as to trigger even more recruit flipping and portal blitzkrieg.

even worse could collins take the DC title while allowing Thacker to continue
Key as the OC may not even necessitate giving him a raise...Saves budget money for one year. penny-wise and pound-foolish
These guys don't want panzer tracks on their backs when it's time to announce a new Marshall Plan for the greatest rebuild in the history of .....

You and I could be good friends.

seriously? holy öööö, how do we keep getting locked into these stupid-ass contracts?
If he knows he's getting fired regardless, it would probably poison CGC for future hires if he refused to accept the lower amount a few weeks earlier. It wouldn't have any effect on anything except to undermine GT's chances of hiring staff and keeping players.

What if we don't have FB?
I will paste here what he said, but not the comments; that's too much trouble, although there were some very interesting comments, both pro and con.

John Knox PorterGeorgia Tech Football

As a 3 year football letterman, member of the All American Bowl Team and current AT Board Member (funds GT Athletics) be reminded of the truth.

I was part of Bill Curry’s 1st recruiting class and proud to be a Jacket. The teams I played on beat Clemson, Georgia and Alabama multiple times.

The freshman my Senior year won the national championship. After worst seasons than the last 3 we turned the corner. We are Tech men, we are smart, we are tough and we do not quit!

All of us including our coach, AD, President, letterman and Alumni are committed to turning the corner again! We have the very best personnel for the situation at hand and are making adjustments but it will take more time for football!

There are reasons we are in this spot because of the institution structure. We compete with Notre Dame and Stanford not Georgia or Clemson!

It will happen, the overall sports program and institution is very competitive and healthy after our AD came back to campus.

We have 11 director cup teams, ACC champions in BBall, Track, Swimming, Volleyball, Golf, 26 All Americans, 7 Olympians and off the chart graduation rates. We are diverse, competitive and thriving! We are pouring resources into our football program.

If you are on this page you are a GT fan and promise you very smart, hardworking and capable people are working non stop to turn the corner. We hope to have your support during these times! We understand the frustration it is universal! If you want to contact me fine I can provide the full scoop!

You can check out my life track record and have confidence to know that a GT man is speaking the truth!

Personally, I think he is still drinking the TStan and Collins koolaid

I will paste here what he said, but not the comments; that's too much trouble, although there were some very interesting comments, both pro and con.

As a 3 year football letterman, member of the All American Bowl Team and current AT Board Member (funds GT Athletics) be reminded of the truth.

I was part of Bill Curry’s 1st recruiting class and proud to be a Jacket. The teams I played on beat Clemson, Georgia and Alabama multiple times.

The freshman my Senior year won the national championship. After worst seasons than the last 3 we turned the corner. We are Tech men, we are smart, we are tough and we do not quit!

All of us including our coach, AD, President, letterman and Alumni are committed to turning the corner again! We have the very best personnel for the situation at hand and are making adjustments but it will take more time for football!

There are reasons we are in this spot because of the institution structure. We compete with Notre Dame and Stanford not Georgia or Clemson!

It will happen, the overall sports program and institution is very competitive and healthy after our AD came back to campus.

We have 11 director cup teams, ACC champions in BBall, Track, Swimming, Volleyball, Golf, 26 All Americans, 7 Olympians and off the chart graduation rates. We are diverse, competitive and thriving! We are pouring resources into our football program.

If you are on this page you are a GT fan and promise you very smart, hardworking and capable people are working non stop to turn the corner. We hope to have your support during these times! We understand the frustration it is universal! If you want to contact me fine I can provide the full scoop!

You can check out my life track record and have confidence to know that a GT man is speaking the truth!

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on it?

I am personally not super inspired by more "trust me we got this", and I dont think there are many people on earth who could at this time make me feel any more positive about the program by saying it. All these top men and their tireless efforts have us in what looks very much like freefall. It's plausible to me that they really do have this, but it seems probable to me that they are wrong and we're going to be having some lessons learned the hard hard hard way. I guess I need a fourth or fifth hard there. But anyway, quite literally everything looks bad. I wanna know why it is actually good rather than being told to ignore my eyes.

I'm along for the ride either way so I'm not gonna fight about it, but it did not persuade me.

He thinks we compete with Notre Dame? He’s full on koolaid.

seriously? holy öööö, how do we keep getting locked into these stupid-ass contracts?
All the other P5 Teams have buyouts that are $15 million trending towards $20 Million with Orgeron being both bought out at close to $40million

This is CFB in 2021, my opinion, better to pay players bigger stipends, maybe $60K per year, $6 million total for FB & MBB than to have $11MM FB coaches getting 2 free house and unlimited use of Private Jets (Riley at USC), and then if they don't pan out you owe them 4 years X$11MM or $44MM in buyout Money.

This is what happens when the Fans hold on to outdated "Shamateurirm concepts", the greedy Coaches and Agents fill the void and go after the Money that you keep away from the Players, aka the Frontline Entertainers.

No way will the Coaches and their Agents sit back and allow College Athl Depts to stockpile cash

Coaches keep talking "integrity & the Amateur Model" while going after every cent they can.

I am personally not super inspired by more "trust me we got this", and I dont think there are many people on earth who could at this time make me feel any more positive about the program by saying it. All these top men and their tireless efforts have us in what looks very much like freefall. It's plausible to me that they really do have this, but it seems probable to me that they are wrong and we're going to be having some lessons learned the hard hard hard way. I guess I need a fourth or fifth hard there. But anyway, quite literally everything looks bad. I wanna know why it is actually good rather than being told to ignore my eyes.

I'm along for the ride either way so I'm not gonna fight about it, but it did not persuade me.
Totally agree. One of the responses to something (obviously negative) I said, slammed me for giving my opinion and said that Porter should ignore it. My response to that was that Porter and others on the board SHOULD listen to the fans' opinions, because it is obvious that Collins doesn't give a damn about them.....or us.

Totally agree. One of the responses to something (obviously negative) I said, slammed me for giving my opinion and said that Porter should ignore it. My response to that was that Porter and others on the board SHOULD listen to the fans' opinions, because it is obvious that Collins doesn't give a damn about them.....or us.

Well, everyone in the program seems committed to the laager for the day, but they are going to have to deal with the restless natives having freedom of movement outside. It is what it is.

He thinks we compete with Notre Dame? He’s full on koolaid.
Notre Dame has a Top5 Class this year and a Top3 Class projected for 2023.

Sorry, Mr Knox, but uh we are not close to competing with ND.

They recruit better in a State with crap HS FB, bad weather, Midwestern Women with thick ankles, the isolation of a crap town like South Bend, and to make matters worse, they come in GT's backyard to steal Recruits whenever they feel like it, future NFL Players to boot.

Wow!

No way can you tell your Fans that you don't compete with uga and Clemson, on most msg boards that's a ban worthy comment, but for our "Insiders & Power Brokers" that the normal mindset that everyone is comfortable with.

The worst part is that he's a former FB Player, a former Golf Guy or Track Guy I can understand, this is the mindset of "a" former FB Player.

What a kick in the nads!

They recruit better in a State with crap HS FB, bad weather, Midwestern Women with thick ankles, the isolation of a crap town like South Bend, and to make matters worse, they come in GT's backyard to steal Recruits whenever they feel like it, future NFL Players to boot.

Wow!

No way can you tell your Fans that you don't compete with uga and Clemson, on most msg boards that's a ban worthy comment, but for our "Insiders & Power Brokers" that the normal mindset that everyone is comfortable with.

The worst part is that he's a former FB Player, a former Golf Guy or Track Guy I can understand, this is the mindset of "a" former FB Player.

What a kick in the nads!
Correct- and his lack of awareness of being boat raced two weeks ago is shocking!

Wow!

What a kick in the nads!

I think what he’s saying is that we compete for recruits with Stanford and ND (smart kids that also play football) rather than Clemson and U[sic]GA (football players who play school on the side). Debatable, but I don’t think he’s saying that we’re competitive with any of those schools on the field at the moment, or that ND and Stanford are the teams we want to beat rather than Clemson and U[sic]GA.

JRjr

"We compete with Notre Dame and Stanford not Georgia or Clemson!"

Why not "we compete with Duke and Vanderbilt and UVA?"

If we don't compete with "Georgia of Clemson" . . . maybe time to stop competing against them.
Notre Dame certainly competes with Georgia and Clemson, and they would probably laugh at the statement that Trch considers itself their competitor.

I do think it's a bad look to have two of your biggest donors crapping on the coach and AD like this publicly. It sort of cuts the legs out from under both of them. If you're going to do that, then should have already fired them.
Its seems to me people like this (Large Donors) go public with their opinions when they don't feel they are being listened to. Does this indicate larger problems? IDK

I appreciate you posting this as I don’t have Facebook. I’m sure there are some great comments.

Back