An Open Letter to the Georgia Tech Athletic Department

Some of the highlights... Plenty else to read.

GT_old-new-580x450.jpg

GT_field.jpg

GT_court.jpg

And these I've posted before:

GT_football_unis-580x478.jpg

GT_bball_unis-580x478.jpg

Long time no see!

Will read this when i'm not at work.

I agree with most of your statements. I do like buzz gold to stick around, but only for buzz logos. The skinny GT is actually the original GT emblem from when it was invented, and is still on the helmets. I LOVE the gold end zone idea and centerfield logo! The 25 yard line GTs are the only thing I dislike about Grant Field. And the unis DO need changing, but maybe a little more modern than the concepts you came up with. But then again, it might look better your way. So basically yeah, I agree with almost everything and hope you keep up the good work!

The yellow gold stands out more. The gold gold looks faded.

Surprised you didn't make a new StingTalk logo too.

So I just got home from work and read your whole letter. Bravo sir. Uniform threads are generally a pet peeve of mine on here, but the amount of thought you put into this (with the renderings to back it up) really speaks volumes.

Well done.

(the design for that far right basketball uniform is the tits)

I've had some graphic design instruction, at GT no less, and I agree with most of your ideas. I think the Buzz gold is appropriate and better in certain applications, however. Buzz the mascot would look pretty dumb in pantone 874 as do the logos that have the Buzz character integrated. Overall, good work.

Nice post -- and you are exactly right.

Notice the gold in this forum is the wrong shade too...

(the design for that far right basketball uniform is the tits)

My thoughts exactly. But bravo on the whole thing. Uniforms were clean and simple, and I've always preferred the wreck gold as well. It'll take a bit of getting used to if something like this ever gets implemented, but I still like it.

As an addendum, look at my avatar. What do you think of the contrast between the wreck and its flags?

As an addendum, look at my avatar. What do you think of the contrast between the wreck and its flags?

Would never happen at any other school. Clemson orange is distinctly different than Texas orange. Both are totally consistent with their choice of color.

Can we get rid of Russell? Are there any other D1 FBS teams that use Russell?

Limiting ourselves to very muted colors doesn't make sense. Quite honestly, they are boring, like Vandy. Also, athletes today seem to prefer the multiple uniform colors. Eliminating our choices seems like a bad idea. I agree that we should stick to one gold and black isn't a bad idea, but the brighter colors and different versions of blue highlight them and make them pop.

I hate myself for even posting in this thread. Tastes in colors change as any automobile manufacturer will tell you. The uniforms by Pantone are universally, not doing anything, so I agree with GTAA that they should expand the colors within reason. Even Clemson has a lot of variability and using black to contrast colors is not a bad thing.

You color aficianados can attack me now. I don't care, but it also affects us in recruiting. If the message you are trying to send is that GT is a staid school instead of a vibrant one, that is what this espouses. I just believe that GT evolves.

Give me hell.

Back