An Open Letter to the Georgia Tech Athletic Department

I agree completely with the OP. I especially like the basketball uniform design on the right. Also, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the typeface we have been using is outdated. I like your suggested updated typeface.

I agree with the comment that the new colors look faded, but otherwise I could not agree more with these conclusions. The variety in colors, etc. are exasperating. Go to the B&N bookstore, it is there in all its glory.

Keep it up, just make those new colors more impactful.

Go jackets!!

So what's the next step? How can you actually get the attention of the powers that be, and get them to consider making some changes?

Can we get rid of Russell? Are there any other D1 FBS teams that use Russell?

How would this impact the shade of Gold? How would Gold from nike, ua, adidas be different. I have got to believe one of the few things we control with Russell is at least that.

The weird ass designs are because of the money they give us. Don't know what kind of options we have there.

I don't see this as a Russell problem, as much as a how much money Russell gives us problem.

That would be solved by beating our rival on the field and winning some meaningful bowl games.

Absolutely the right way to go with colors, branding, and uniforms. No one will listen, however, because people who make good money making stupid decisions will be offended by such intelligent free advice.

How would this impact the shade of Gold? How would Gold from nike, ua, adidas be different. I have got to believe one of the few things we control with Russell is at least that.

The weird ass designs are because of the money they give us. Don't know what kind of options we have there.

I don't see this as a Russell problem, as much as a how much money Russell gives us problem.

That would be solved by beating our rival on the field and winning some meaningful bowl games.

I dunno 'bout that. Chattanooga got good Russel unis, and their team sucks.
chatt.jpg

One area not addressed are the color of the letter jackets. Even though our teams keep shifting shades, our letter jackets have always remained the true "Old Gold." I applaud the idea of consistency, but favor the Old Gold color.

Home games need to be the Gailey gold jerseys, and the away games need to be the Ross navy jerseys.

I don't know if you know this, but the athletic department hates grad students.

So I hope you're not one.

Buzz should keep black instead of blue. A neutral color doesn't need to be official. Black is just black.

Also, Pantone 874 is still the wrong shade. Try this one:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx?c_id=2165

Buzz the mascot would still look good in that shade.

This. That color is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

I HATE gailey piss gold.

I do agree we need change. Substitute this color gold for the one you used and I support it 100%.

Funny, we had that a few years ago and everyone ranted about it. Said it looked like baby poo.

Everyone is going to disagree to a certain extent. What I want from the GTAA is consistancy.

Buzz should keep black instead of blue. A neutral color doesn't need to be official. Black is just black.

Also, Pantone 874 is still the wrong shade. Try this one:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx?c_id=2165

Buzz the mascot would still look good in that shade.

THis argument loses on one word. Alabama.

Limiting ourselves to very muted colors doesn't make sense. Quite honestly, they are boring, like Vandy. Also, athletes today seem to prefer the multiple uniform colors. Eliminating our choices seems like a bad idea. I agree that we should stick to one gold and black isn't a bad idea, but the brighter colors and different versions of blue highlight them and make them pop.

I hate myself for even posting in this thread. Tastes in colors change as any automobile manufacturer will tell you. The uniforms by Pantone are universally, not doing anything, so I agree with GTAA that they should expand the colors within reason. Even Clemson has a lot of variability and using black to contrast colors is not a bad thing.

You color aficianados can attack me now. I don't care, but it also affects us in recruiting. If the message you are trying to send is that GT is a staid school instead of a vibrant one, that is what this espouses. I just believe that GT evolves.

Give me hell.

What we really need to do is pick an approach and go with it.

If we want to please fans, pick a somewhat traditional uniform, a single shade of gold, and stick with it.

If we want to go modern to try to help with recruiting, then go all in and do crazy stuff like Oregon and Maryland.

What we have right now seems like am attempt to please both camps and I doubt it really succeeds with either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Back