An Open Letter to the Georgia Tech Athletic Department

One area not addressed are the color of the letter jackets. Even though our teams keep shifting shades, our letter jackets have always remained the true "Old Gold." I applaud the idea of consistency, but favor the Old Gold color.

+1. Good observation, and I agree.

He picked Pantone 874 because it's an official school color. They don't change stuff like that without at least extensive surveying.

http://www.licensing.gatech.edu/colors.html

Yep, this.

Someone from the AA actually emailed me pretty shortly after, explaining some of the challenges they face and the things they're doing to work on the problems. They also said Russell has been made aware more of what we're looking for, so maybe those will improve soon.

Yep, this.

Someone from the AA actually emailed me pretty shortly after, explaining some of the challenges they face and the things they're doing to work on the problems. They also said Russell has been made aware more of what we're looking for, so maybe those will improve soon.

That's encouraging.

I met with the Georgia Tech Marketing team a few times in '09 because the rowing team was trying to get on the same page as the rest of the athletic program in terms of colors and logos. They seemed well aware of the importance of branding and were making efforts to get all the sports teams to wear the same colors.

Pantone,
This is excellent. I know it's not PC to care about this stuff, but it does matter IMO, especially when we're surrounded by so many schools who do this so well they don't even have to think about it. Very well done sir.

I like almost all your suggestions, but one point of consistency I think should be addressed is this -

The GT logo, on a field of dark blue, should be WHITE with gold outline. It should never be gold.

The GT logo, on a field of white, should be GOLD with dark blue outline. It should never be solid blue.

The GT logo, on a field of gold, should be WHITE with dark blue outline. It should never be solid blue.

By eliminating all logos with the blue GT, I think firmly establishes that blue is our tertiary color, and not our primary, even if we are wearing blue unis.

A more minor point, but I would also do away with any solid blue type face, like you have on both sides of the court and in a couple of the logos.

I don't buy any GT gear with a dark blue GT, which limits the selection quite a bit.

Was anyone else pleasantly surprised last year that the GT logo ESPN uses is finally right after 20 years?

Yep, this.

That kind of response is what has made me decide that the '06 throwbacks were the product of a one-time deal with the supernatural.

I've lowered my expectations to the point that I'm happy as long as we aren't wearing Gailey gold.

I really like the white throwback basketball uniform with the basic gold lettering. That should be used several times a year.

Not that it probably matters, but there's a typo in the paragraph between the football field and basketball court.

As for the colors, I never understood why having a less yellow-looking gold is preferable for a team named the YELLOW Jackets. I don't prefer the muted gold tones regardless of whether they are branded.

Great effort, thank you.

I like the other shade of Gold another posted as well.

The key is consistency through out the program and brand.

I think the key to a better football uni would be a White hat.

Back