And more expansion rumor (this time GT!)

I have literally no interest what-so-ever in playing the Big Ten based on the Orange Bowl. I watched an offense that would make even Chan Gailey giggle with it's unimaginative, vanilla, precocious play ... which is bad enough before we bring Wommack's epic fail into the equation. Most of the Big Ten plays that way.

Which do you value more, the success of our program or being entertained by flashy offense?

Which do you value more, the success of our program or being entertained by flashy offense?

Well it's more than just boring play from the Big Ten. I am not at all excited to play Minnesota. Or Indiana. Or Michigan State. Or Iowa. Or Illinois. Or Purdue. Or Northwestern. Or Wisconsin.

Among the leftovers Ohio State has its own problems. They're like the midwestern UGAg. Having been to the Ohio Linuxfest in Columbus when there was an OSU game, I can say that OSU fans are genetically engineered to retain twice the alcohol of a normal human being. They're cocky. They're obnoxious. You think Iowa fans at the OB were bad? Holllllllllllyyyyyyy ****. Moreover, NONE of those matchups is in a nice regional footprint. Not a damn one of them. From where I am, I can hop in the car and in 4 hours be there in person for a football game in Atlanta, Clemson, Raliegh, Winston-Salem, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Even UVA, VT, and FSU aren't that unreasonable of a car drive. I don't need to catch a plane to see the majority of the conference in other words. I'd need a plane to see every damn body in the Big Ten. The shortest drive is probably Indiana ... and that's 9 hours. Failllllll!

Well it's more than just boring play from the Big Ten. I am not at all excited to play Minnesota. Or Indiana. Or Michigan State. Or Iowa. Or Illinois. Or Purdue. Or Northwestern. Or Wisconsin.

Among the leftovers Ohio State has its own problems. They're like the midwestern UGAg. Having been to the Ohio Linuxfest in Columbus when there was an OSU game, I can say that OSU fans are genetically engineered to retain twice the alcohol of a normal human being. They're cocky. They're obnoxious. You think Iowa fans at the OB were bad? Holllllllllllyyyyyyy ****. Moreover, NONE of those matchups is in a nice regional footprint. Not a damn one of them. From where I am, I can hop in the car and in 4 hours be there in person for a football game in Atlanta, Clemson, Raliegh, Winston-Salem, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Even UVA, VT, and FSU aren't that unreasonable of a car drive. I don't need to catch a plane to see the majority of the conference in other words. I'd need a plane to see every damn body in the Big Ten. The shortest drive is probably Indiana ... and that's 9 hours. Failllllll!

Well, I'm sure DRad and Peterson's first thought is of your ability to drive to away games. :rolleyes: The long term health of the Institute is the #1 priority. Academically the SEC is a joke. Even Texas knows this, that's why they are looking at the PAC-10 or Big 10.

No fans in the Big 10 are worse than Bama fans, UGA fans, Miami fans, or VT fans.

Well, I'm sure DRad and Peterson's first thought is of your ability to drive to away games. :rolleyes: The long term health of the Institute is the #1 priority. Academically the SEC is a joke. Even Texas knows this, that's why they are looking at the PAC-10 or Big 10.

So you've opened up a rift in the fabric of space time for GT's women's basketball, golf, etc teams to travel to all those destinations as easily as they currently travel to most of the ACC? It's a bus trip until you head down to Miami or beyond NC.

Somehow I think the extra gazillion dollars we'd get from the Big 10 move would pay for a few plane tickets.

I think I'd rather join the SEC and be an also-ran than completely lose our heavy southern schedule, identity, and rivalries.

But honestly I'd much rather have the ACC pick up some variations of Pitt, PSU, UF, USC-e, Cuse, Navy, and then offer its own television network.

I have a hard time believing the Big Ten would make more money long term than the SEC/ACC doing their own network. The SEC has the marquee names and matchups. The ACC has the markets. And long term the rust belt is dropping in population as people come down South for work. Just look at all the cars built in the South and then take a look at Detroit. If I want to make cars for a living ... I know which of the two I'd go to.

I don't want to give up the academic side of the mission.
I don't want to give up the southern matchups, traditions, rivalries, and identity.
(But if it's one of the above or get stuck in an ACC w/o Clemson and FSU ... I'll take either of the former.)

So you've opened up a rift in the fabric of space time for GT's women's basketball, golf, etc teams to travel to all those destinations as easily as they currently travel to most of the ACC? It's a bus trip until you head down to Miami or beyond NC.

$20+ million/year >>>>>>>> $12.97 million/year (If the ESPN/ACC deal is signed)

I think that will not only pay for plane tickets but also create a few new teams sports for the AA.

Maybe the extra $$$ can also go to developing the device to make a rift in the fabric of space time as well. ;)

No fans in the Big 10 are worse than Bama fans, UGA fans, Miami fans, or VT fans.

Having met 3 of the above 4, I support this comment 100%. Especially VT fans, would not bat an eye to punch one of those bastards in the face if i met one.

I think I'd rather join the SEC and be an also-ran than completely lose our heavy southern schedule, identity, and rivalries.

I don't want to give up the academic side of the mission.
I don't want to give up the southern matchups, traditions, rivalries, and identity.
(But if it's one of the above or get stuck in an ACC w/o Clemson and FSU ... I'll take either of the former.)

These two are complete opposites. If we go to the SEC, we are not looking at the academic mission nor our student athlete side. Being an also ran in the SEC would turn out football program into Vandy's. Good every so often but pretty much crap the rest of the time. Unless we complete do away with our standards for SAs.

The best is if ND accepts the Big 10 invite, they stay at 12 and the Pac-10 pick up 2 more. The ACC and SEC stay put and status quo maintained.

Would switching to the SEC get Hewitt to leave? :fingersx:

The best is if ND accepts the Big 10 invite, they stay at 12 and the Pac-10 pick up 2 more. The ACC and SEC stay put and status quo maintained.

Then we're doomed. Notre Dame's primary functional existence is to piss off the rest of college football, preferably screwing them in some way in the process.

These two are complete opposites. If we go to the SEC, we are not looking at the academic mission nor our student athlete side. Being an also ran in the SEC would turn out football program into Vandy's. Good every so often but pretty much crap the rest of the time. Unless we complete do away with our standards for SAs.

Also-rans ... not doormats. At present I see GT superior to:
Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn
Arkansas
Vandy
Kentucky
USC-e

More or less on par with... or more accurately for this list superior to, but not enough to feel comfy with a win:
UGAg
Tennessee
Clemson
FSU
Miami

Inferior to:
Alabama
LSU
Florida

Recent events have given me the impression that the time for that kind of scenario has passed.

So after mulling it over, I have sort of made peace with the potential for joining the Big 10. But ONLY if the Big 10 is the only conference in the area doing their own TV network. The ACC just doubled GT's haul. The Big Ten would double it again... likely even more given increased subscriptions. From right now, it's a difference to the GTAA of about $18m... a difference that drops next year to $12m. Put another way ... that's enough to pay for a brand new Bobby Dodd Stadium top to bottom over 15-20 years. If the ACC or SEC can do their own imitation ... all bets are off.

My best preference is still for the ACC to "out-Big-10" the Big 10.... go all Pac-10 on everybody. Get Rutgers (13). Get Pitt (14). Get Cuse (15). Get UCONN (16). All strengthen the geographic footprint. All are good academically. All are in or immediately near major TV markets. It would be roughly a push on football, but basketball would get even better scarily enough. And it would dominate the eastern TV markets like a Pac-10/Big-12-South monster would dominate the TV markets on the west coast. If the ACC did their own network like the Big Ten ... the revenue would be MASSIVE.

No, believe me, tOSU fans are the worst. We like to talk smack and say ugag has the worst fans, but from an unbiased perspective tOSU is the worst. You can't understand it unless you've been there. They kind of have the Bama cockyness mixed in with VPI inbrededness and the Philadelphia Eagles assholeness. And that's at 5 AM before they start drinking.

On the other hand, PSU may have the best fans in college football, so I guess you get the good with the bad.

On a completely different note, we're selling ourselves short if we think we're going to become Vandy in the SEC. We do have lower academic requirements than them, as well as more exceptions. We have arguably the single best location in downtown Atlanta to attract recruits (Miami and SoCal are really the only contenders), better than Nashville and much better than the cow colleges that comprise the rest of the ACC. We won't be Florida or LSU, but we'll definitely be in the mis most years.

I have no idea what is making you guys think we're going to become the Vandy of the SEC. I don't even think Vandy has even cared about football ever. I honestly see us getting better recruits if we go to the SEC than we do now, and they're already good as it is. We already beat the bottom-feeders of the SEC routinely with the recruits we have now, so I think we'd compete regularly with UGA, LSU, and Tennessee.

The more I look at our options, the more I hate em!

1) Big 10 would bring in $, academic prestige, and interesting matchups BUT we would essentially be on an island in the South. There would be a two to three state buffer to our nearest opponent. There is so much history with all those schools (playing each other) it would be hard to "break-in" on that.

2) SEC would bring in a little more $ and would pit us against some of our classic rivals on a yearly basis BUT we essentially become a glorified Vandy in their eyes. I'm all about earning some respect, but I HATE the SEC and how they do business. There is a reason that Tech left in the first place.....do you think anything has changed since we left????? I think it's gotten worse.

3) We stay in the ACC where we could become annual favorites to win (if alot of the other teams bail) BUT I think we would be going down with a sinking ship. The basketball would be great, but football as we know it would probablly be gone. I can't even imagine what a home schedule would like with Big East replacements. GT vs Rutgers would be a highlight I guess.........(TIC)

Back