And then there's this:

They've been pulling in talent like crazy and are a very young team. Combine that with playing in a kind of weak SEC east, and I think that's where it's coming from. I'm not saying they're going to be a playoff team next year, but I do think they're going to continue to improve.

That is what I mean by the "Eye Test" stuff they talk about. . ESPN has them at 23 next year: Link . I dont see anything in the results last year to warrant that.. except that they are young and have some great talent and recruiting talent. If Tennessee beats Oklahoma (who wasn't strong last year) next year in their second game, they probably jump into the top 10..

This is the same problem I have with UNC... they always have the talent and pass the "Eye Test" and should be good, but never are. But they can go from nowhere to top 25 just on the looks, and not on the field results.

A different example is Arkansas, where I can believe they have a good shot next year, because they finished strong with big wins over Ole Miss and LSU.. with close games with many others. But Tennessee didn't win anything last year, and are getting ranked without ever doing anything other than looking good and promise.

/soapbox

Good call on Arkansas. No way they should be behind Tennessee.

I mean, normally I'd agree, but these kind of proclamations did not have a great track record from you last year.

True fact. I'll say this, though, that prediction is less about the game than about the coaches. Spurrier > Fedora every day and twice on Saturday.

Back