Andy Katz on 790 the Zone, says that GT and

1gtfan

Flats Noob
the Big Ten are a possibilty and a good fit. He says that in his talks with the Big Ten, they are definetly looking South, to expand their TV reach.

I'm starting to wonder if all of this talk is just hype or if actual decisions are going to be made.

I wish the Big Ten had been able to keep their expansion plan under wraps until they were ready to actually do something because this **** is driving me crazy. I appreciate this post because I like to hear any expansion info, but come on, what does this really tell us? Of course it's possible that we might get invited to the Big Ten, and Andy Katz's opinion about whether it's a good fit is meaningless. **** you Big Ten for not being able to keep things behind closed doors. These pointless expansion rumors could carry on like this for the entire offseason.

Which will last 106 more days.

I wish the Big Ten had been able to keep their expansion plan under wraps until they were ready to actually do something because this **** is driving me crazy. I appreciate this post because I like to hear any expansion info, but come on, what does this really tell us? Of course it's possible that we might get invited to the Big Ten, and Andy Katz's opinion about whether it's a good fit is meaningless. **** you Big Ten for not being able to keep things behind closed doors. These pointless expansion rumors could carry on like this for the entire offseason.

Which will last 106 more days.

Speculation was made on the hive that these 'leaks' are being made to judge interest. I believe that they are correct.

It is a way to avoid an embarassing situation where someone declines, perhaps due to some unforeseen circumstance like a 'bobby lowder' type vetoing a 'done deal'. egg all over faces if you know what I mean. Or a state legislature nixes the move. Crazier things could happen.

Speculation was made on the hive that these 'leaks' are being made to judge interest. I believe that they are correct.

I've considered this as well, but I haven't been following closely enough to see all of the detail. Is the SEC doing the same thing? I haven't heard anything coming out of their corner. Also, and ideas on how this might/would affect the new football/basketball tv deal?

During my business career this practice was known as, "let's raise that flag and see who salutes". In other words throw the idea out there and see what the reaction is. I think the Big Ten/Eleven is definitely floating these trial ballons to gauge reaction.

I would not be at all suprised that D-Rad could be an instigator behind this. Unlike a lot of Tech fans, D-Rad realized that Georgia Tech represents a unique and valuable product in the world of collegiate athletics and his mission is to maximize the full potential value of that property.

We should be agnostic to conferences and cut the deal that brings the most financial reward to Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

It's also important to remember that most of the schools involved in these discussions are public universities in states with liberal (should I saw "broad" instead of that word?) open records laws. Nothing's going to be put in writing until everything is lined up. I imagine that several media outlets are regularly filing requests with schools caught up in the speculation just to see if they can get their hands on something. The Big Televen presidents will probably discuss it behind closed doors at length this summer, then spend a few months quietly doing the due diligence required to extend an invitation. The ADs and Presidents of the schools in line to get an invitation need a way to feel out their fan bases, and these rumors are the way that happens today.

Is anyone else OK with going to the Big 10? There are really only two teams that I want to see Tech play every year, Clemson and UGA. After that I just want to see Tech play football against quality teams.

Being in the Big 10 would lead to some fun games like OSU and UM. Sure there are some stinkers in the Big 10, but it's not like I get real excited when NCSU comes to town either.

Is anyone else OK with going to the Big 10? There are really only two teams that I want to see Tech play every year, Clemson and UGA. After that I just want to see Tech play football against quality teams.

Being in the Big 10 would lead to some fun games like OSU and UM. Sure there are some stinkers in the Big 10, but it's not like I get real excited when NCSU comes to town either.

Sadly we would not get both Clemson and UGAg if we went to the Big X. First off, a conference schedule including B10 teams + UGAg would be tough enough, throw in Clemson and it starts getting ridonculous. Also, not sure Clemson would agree to it. Since we would then become an OOC game for them and they already have USCe as an OOC opponent. I think if we move to another conference we will lose the Clemson game.

If the money is right (non-revenue sports are going to have to fly more than they do now), I'm good with it. I agree that I'd like to see Clemson remain on the schedule (the mutts aren't going away) at least on a two out of every four years basis (preferably annual).

What if the big 10 lopped off the bottom of the ACC. That would give the big 10 a presence in Fla and GA.

What if the big 10 lopped off the bottom of the ACC. That would give the big 10 a presence in Fla and GA.

If they took GA Tech, FSU, Miami and Clemson, and put us together with say... PSU, OSU, Indiana and Purdue, how bad would that be?

If they took GA Tech, FSU, Miami and Clemson, and put us together with say... PSU, OSU, Indiana and Purdue, how bad would that be?
That would be pretty sweet actually. Wont happen but would be awesome.

We should be agnostic to conferences and cut the deal that brings the most financial reward to Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

Thank God you didn't say atheist

I wonder if the Big 10/SEC expansion talk helped the negotiations with ESPN for the new ACC contract. If ESPN feared losing its market to Big 10 network and possible SEC network TV development, it would motivate them to stabilize the ACC by injecting more money into the conference. ESPN needs college sports to fill up all their channels. If the conferences decide they can do a better job themselves and not have to share the revenue with ESPN, ABC, and CBS, there's not much the networks could do about it.

I wonder if the Big 10/SEC expansion talk helped the negotiations with ESPN for the new ACC contract. If ESPN feared losing its market to Big 10 network and possible SEC network TV development, it would motivate them to stabilize the ACC by injecting more money into the conference. ESPN needs college sports to fill up all their channels. If the conferences decide they can do a better job themselves and not have to share the revenue with ESPN, ABC, and CBS, there's not much the networks could do about it.

Eh, they'll fill it with something. Bowling, poker, and billiards, you name it... Certainly not as good as college sports, though.

Would going to the Big 10 give us enough $ to buy out Hewitt?
And then what do you call the league? Is it always the Big 10 no matter how many teams are in the league? Or could it be the Big 10, et. al., with the top 10 teams being the real "Big" 10 and everyone else playing catch up?

I would not be at all suprised that D-Rad could be an instigator behind this. Unlike a lot of Tech fans, D-Rad realized that Georgia Tech represents a unique and valuable product in the world of collegiate athletics and his mission is to maximize the full potential value of that property......................

I agree. In fact, he wrote the following in this week's "The Good Word":

Conference Expansion
Likewise, there is not a whole lot to report in this area except to say that we are keeping a watchful eye over the landscape in college athletics. We are very proud to be a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference. I truly do not anticipate wholesale movement in the college landscape as we sit here today, but certainly things can change rapidly. We know that Georgia Tech is an extremely attractive brand across this country with our academic profile, athletic history of success and location in the eighth largest television market in America. Our staff and I will monitor the events as they unfold, always keeping the best interests of the Institute, our Alumni and fans at the forefront

The bold, emphasis, and underline are my doing.

Would going to the Big 10 give us enough $ to buy out Hewitt?
And then what do you call the league? Is it always the Big 10 no matter how many teams are in the league? Or could it be the Big 10, et. al., with the top 10 teams being the real "Big" 10 and everyone else playing catch up?

I don't know who started it, but Big Integer seems like a good name to me.

I don't know who started it, but Big Integer seems like a good name to me.

That would come with the added benefit of confusing most of the SEC fans. Three-syllable words are on the advanced vocabulary list that most of them never even dream of getting to.

I think they'll probably use the actual integer, especially since the Big East will likely die in the process and the Big XII could be needing to acquire the top teams from the MWC and/or WAC after this is all done, so they might consider a name change, leaving the Big Integer as the only "Big" conference in FBS.

Back