Andy Katz on 790 the Zone, says that GT and

Joining the Big Ten would kill GT baseball.

After initial excitement of anticipated changing of conferences, I have come to the conclusion that the ACC just needs to get better. Start winning our OOC matchups and the perception of the ACC will change. We don't need to move to the SEC or Big Ten. Start winning now against our OOC opponents - all of the ACC, not just us - and we will be sitting in a prime position for the next contract negotiations.

If the ACC has 3 or 4 National Championships by the next time we negotiate a contract - with at least a couple of schools winning them, and if the ACC can win 80%+ of its matchups against the major conferences (and lose none against the minor ones) and if we continue to be the best basketball conference in the land - we will be sitting pretty. Our baseball matchups are great. I'd hate to lose them.

The national perception of the ACC means diddly squat in terms of expansion. The ACC could win every OOC game and every bowl game next season and FSU, Miami and Clemson would still probably jump to the SEC if offered. That would kill ACC football to such an extent as to be unrecoverable in the foreseeable future.

The national perception of the ACC means diddly squat in terms of expansion. The ACC could win every OOC game and every bowl game next season and FSU, Miami and Clemson would still probably jump to the SEC if offered. That would kill ACC football to such an extent as to be unrecoverable in the foreseeable future.

I'm not talking next season, I'm talking long term. When the ACC expanded, folks expected the ACC to be competition for the SEC. We have failed at that. GT especially has failed at that by continually being UGAg's bitch and by getting spanked in bowl games on a national stage.

You can just well bet that if FSU, Miami, GT, and/or Clemson win a few National Championships between them over the next decade, there won't be anyone going anywhere.

I'm not talking next season, I'm talking long term. When the ACC expanded, folks expected the ACC to be competition for the SEC. We have failed at that. GT especially has failed at that by continually being UGAg's bitch and by getting spanked in bowl games on a national stage.

You can just well bet that if FSU, Miami, GT, and/or Clemson win a few National Championships between them over the next decade, there won't be anyone going anywhere.

Isn't it the current belief that all this expansion stuff will be occurring within the next few season? Even if Miami or FSU does win a national championship in that small time, in my opinion they'd still be inclined to leave.

So you are saying that FSU, GT, Miami, Clemson, UNC etc.. = Central Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Kent State, Buffalo etc...

Congrats, You are the biggest ****ing idiot on this board

No idiot, I'm saying the suggestion that the ACC is going to start suddening winning 80% of its OCC games against major conferences while simultaneously winning 3 or 4 NC's over the 6 or 7 years is idiotic. That recipe for success is so unrealistic it deserved to be mocked.

I call out someone that equates our conference with the MAC. Get over with it.
Um, no he didn't. You should re-read his reply. His point, at least how I interpreted it, was that your argument could apply to any conference who most consider to be relatively weak. There's a reason why the ACC has struggled against the SEC and others: because the ACC, as it stands now, is a mediocre football conference.

No idiot, I'm saying the suggestion that the ACC is going to start suddening winning 80% of its OCC games against major conferences while simultaneously winning 3 or 4 NC's over the 6 or 7 years is idiotic. That recipe for success is so unrealistic it deserved to be mocked.

Bull****. You mean to tell me that FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, VT and GT are incapable of making a run for the National Championship on a consistant basis because they are in the ACC? FSU can absolutely easily get back to the level of Florida, and Alabama, and LSU and the rest of the SEC without question. So can Miami. So can Virginia Tech. GT and Clemson can get there. UNC has all of the money in the world, they can get there

I wish y'all would all stop being so dreamy eyed about the SEC. Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are certainly nothing special. Might as well be playing NC State, Maryland, Wake, Duke, and BC. UGAg, Auburn and Tennessee are next level. Of course, we are failures against UGAg, but putting our ass in the SEC ain't gonna change that. Fact is, the SEC is the big 3 - Alabama, Florida, LSU - that's it. We just need three teams in the ACC to step it up.

Um, no he didn't. You should re-read his reply. His point, at least how I interpreted it, was that your argument could apply to any conference who most consider to be relatively weak. There's a reason why the ACC has struggled against the SEC and others: because the ACC, as it stands now, is a mediocre football conference.

I saw someone that took my argument and stupidly replaced ACC with MAC. What did you see?

I wish y'all would all stop being so dreamy eyed about the SEC. Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are certainly nothing special. Might as well be playing NC State, Maryland, Wake, Duke, and BC.
The difference being Miss St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, SC, or Kentucky would all bring more fans than the ACC schools, because we live in Atlanta.

That's the main benefit of the SEC, in my opinion. Atlanta is the heart of the SEC, and we don't even play in it.

Bull****. You mean to tell me that FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, VT and GT are incapable of making a run for the National Championship on a consistant basis because they are in the ACC? FSU can absolutely easily get back to the level of Florida, and Alabama, and LSU and the rest of the SEC without question. So can Miami. So can Virginia Tech. GT and Clemson can get there. UNC has all of the money in the world, they can get there

I wish y'all would all stop being so dreamy eyed about the SEC. Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are certainly nothing special. Might as well be playing NC State, Maryland, Wake, Duke, and BC. UGAg, Auburn and Tennessee are next level. Of course, we are failures against UGAg, but putting our ass in the SEC ain't gonna change that. Fact is, the SEC is the big 3 - Alabama, Florida, LSU - that's it. We just need three teams in the ACC to step it up.

I like this :biggthumpup:

Back