Andy Katz on 790 the Zone, says that GT and

Meh. The paragraph supporting the heading basically says few in the South offer the academics and media markets the Big Televen wants. That's a true statement. It's also a true statement that GT offers a lot of those things, although not the rabid fanbase of Texas.

If Drad markets GT the right way...

GT would be the Plum pick for the Big 10..I mean, outside of Notre Dame, GT would be the best addition the Big Ten could hope to land.

Think about why GT would be the best addition out of all the schools (Realistically they could add, with Notre Dame being out of the equation)

GT is right here in Atlanta (The 8th largest TV market in the nation)
GT has a very storied history in football (Heisman, Dodd exct.)
GT just won the ACC...We are a nationally known team.
GT is in Atlanta, smackdab right in the heart of SEC country (Who is their chief competitor for TV dollars) Heck, we are less than 2 miles from the GA. Dome where the Sec plays their title game.
GT adds the deep south into the recruiting game for the Big Ten. I think the good folks at Ohio State, Michigan exct..would salivate at the idea of coming to Atlanta every other year, they would attract deep south HS talent.
GT is in Atlanta where MANY big ten alumni reside.
GT is an AAU member and respected NATIONWIDE for academics.

There are other big positives for the Big Ten...I think with good marketing, there is no reason GT couldn't be the prize catch for the Big Ten come next fall when the final decisions will most likely come.

I hope Drad has a good marketing plan in play here, if he does, GT becomes a big winner in all of this. Like I said, without Notre Dame being there for the Big Ten, GT would be the most attractive addition the Big Ten could hope for. The talk about Texas fitting in the Big Ten is just talk..They most likely stay put, or, Texas would go to the Sec (Still a very longshot)

GT fits best for the Big Ten and brings more to the table than any other school out there that they realistically could hope for.

I am all for Tech considering the Big Ten and then as a minimum, squeeze the ACC to start acting like a big time conference: refs, north and south divisions, etc.

The real negative for me and the Big Ten is the lack of local teams for the minor sports. If the Big Ten added a few other good local schools like Florida, UNC, then it'd be a whole lot easier.

I am all for Tech considering the Big Ten and then as a minimum, squeeze the ACC to start acting like a big time conference: refs, north and south divisions, etc.

The real negative for me and the Big Ten is the lack of local teams for the minor sports. If the Big Ten added a few other good local schools like Florida, UNC, then it'd be a whole lot easier.

Personally, I don't see Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, UGA, or Auburn ever leaving the SEC. Likewise, I don't see UNC or any other North Carolina school ever leaving the ACC. The only schools who might leave the ACC are the step children like GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and/or VT; not one of the basketball schools.

The only schools who might leave the ACC are the step children like GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and/or VT; not one of the basketball schools.

Academically none of these schools would fit with Big 10. Maryland would, as would UNC and UVa. And the reasons they would consider leaving ACC for Big 10 has to do with all the cash the Big 10 could throw at them.

Academically none of these schools would fit with Big 10. Maryland would, as would UNC and UVa. And the reasons they would consider leaving ACC for Big 10 has to do with all the cash the Big 10 could throw at them.

I just don't see schools like UNC or Duke ever leaving the ACC, unless the ACC simply becomes defunct. The North Carolina schools are the ACC. I do believe that GT would fit the Big 10 even better than UNC would; although I am not predicting it. But what I really meant about the other "step children" schools of the ACC like FSU, is I could see them leaving if some conference (doesn't have to be the Big 10) made them a good offer.

All I know is that I'd rather jump ship to the SEC or Big Ten than stay in the ACC and raid the Big East. I hate the Big East.

All I know is that I'd rather jump ship to the SEC or Big Ten than stay in the ACC and raid the Big East. I hate the Big East.

I agree. It just gets you pumped to think we could add the likes of Ucon or Syracuse to our conference... I for one hope we jump to the SEC, but would rather move to the Big 10 then stay in the ACC. Especially if Miami and FSU leave the ACC.

Joining the Big Ten would kill GT baseball.

After initial excitement of anticipated changing of conferences, I have come to the conclusion that the ACC just needs to get better. Start winning our OOC matchups and the perception of the ACC will change. We don't need to move to the SEC or Big Ten. Start winning now against our OOC opponents - all of the ACC, not just us - and we will be sitting in a prime position for the next contract negotiations.

If the ACC has 3 or 4 National Championships by the next time we negotiate a contract - with at least a couple of schools winning them, and if the ACC can win 80%+ of its matchups against the major conferences (and lose none against the minor ones) and if we continue to be the best basketball conference in the land - we will be sitting pretty. Our baseball matchups are great. I'd hate to lose them.

After initial excitement of anticipated changing of conferences, I have come to the conclusion that the ACC just needs to get better.

How would us going to the SEC with Clemson, FSU, and Miami/VT/WVU/???? not be the best case scenario? I know we all hate the SEC but they are the best conference in football right now (4 straight national titles). It's also not too bad at basketball and is right up there with us in baseball. If this happens then ACC football and Big East football are basically done, creating four super conferences (the PAC 10 would likely be forced to add teams to create a championship game). Also, college football is a very regional sport, so instead of having to keep track of the ACC, SEC, and Big East to follow teams in the southeast of the country we would just have to follow the SEC, which makes every game that much bigger.

Personally I would love to have us in there.

After initial excitement of anticipated changing of conferences, I have come to the conclusion that the MAC just needs to get better. Start winning our OOC matchups and the perception of the MAC will change. We don't need to move to the SEC or Big Ten. Start winning now against our OOC opponents - all of the MAC, not just us - and we will be sitting in a prime position for the next contract negotiations.

If the MAC has 3 or 4 National Championships by the next time we negotiate a contract - with at least a couple of schools winning them, and if the MAC can win 80%+ of its matchups against the major conferences (and lose none against the minor ones) - we will be sitting pretty. Our baseball matchups are great. I'd hate to lose them.

Just making the point that what you just said is a fairly tall order and would be true of any conference if they could pull it off, and I don't think the MAC or the ACC can.

Just making the point that what you just said is a fairly tall order and would be true of any conference if they could pull it off, and I don't think the MAC or the ACC can.

So you are saying that FSU, GT, Miami, Clemson, UNC etc.. = Central Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Kent State, Buffalo etc...

Congrats, You are the biggest ****ing idiot on this board

So you are saying that FSU, GT, Miami, Clemson, UNC etc.. = Central Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Kent State, Buffalo etc...

Congrats, You are the biggest ****ing idiot on this board
Why are you so hostile to those who disagree with you? Chill out, man.

Back