any way to chart CPJ's twitter velocity?

With enough data, I think we could use some frequency / complexity (writing level) analysis to determine how likely the two (or more) devices are to have been used by the same person.

Geez....only on a Tech forum does someone get butthurt over math

You never calculate velocity based on starting andnending point. It is always distance traveled and total time. It is path dependent.

Cosider traveling around a circle. Your starting and ending point are the same. Your velocity is constant clockwise. Your speed is constant. Neither is zero as a simple vector sum would indicate.

You never calculate velocity based on starting andnending point. It is always distance traveled and total time. It is path dependent.

Cosider traveling around a circle. Your starting and ending point are the same. Your velocity is constant clockwise. Your speed is constant. Neither is zero as a simple vector sum would indicate.

clockwise is not a direction, your average velocity is 0 (this is easily determined by noting you end up where you started). distance/time is SPEED; displacement/time is VELOCITY, displacement is a VECTOR and has a direction (move some amount in some direction)

u6l1a3.gif

i hope you are trolling b/c otherwise you should retake the basic physics classes.

Clockwise is not a direction? So if I gave you polar coordinates you wouldn't say that I gave you a vector? Odd.

Clockwise is not a direction? So if I gave you polar coordinates you wouldn't say that I gave you a vector? Odd.

you should go back to skool, you are not smart about science. ps, were you a music major?

1. A body moving with constant speed in a circular path : In this scenario, although the body is traveling with constant speed but it is changing direction every instant because a circle is considered to be a polygon with infinite edges so the body is travelling with non-uniform velocity.

i would correct you again but i will defer to this old proverb:
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day
set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life

A point is not a line segment of zero length and a circle is not an infinite polygon.

AE. I can't think of a time when I've calculated average velocity. Or an average vector.

I think it's mainly semantics. If you say speed when you are looking at an instant, or some time delta, then it is average speed when you are looking at the speed across all the time deltas. If you say velocity when you are looking at an instant, or some delta, then it is average velocity when you consider all the deltas. So it's relative. It would also be correct to call the average velocity simply a velocity if it were the only velocity we were talking about and there were no velocities considered over smaller time intervals.

But I could well be wrong, my average GT physics grade was (B + D) / 2 = C.

I ran 2 miles and then returned back to my house. My average velocity was zero. What a terrible workout!

deleted comment about terrible joke

So it's relative.

relative velocity is something different entirely, it is the difference in my velocity vector and your velocity vector, and has both a scalar value and a directional component

let us imagine that Snoddy is running at high speed during the scrimmage next saturday at Bobby Dodd Stadium. another player is running to try to tackle him. we might wish to determine the "relative velocity" between to two players.

14100305.jpg

you can see that the cheap sports car will never catch the magic french duck

this can easily be accomplished by noting the speed and direction of travel of Snoddy and of the pursuing player. We would then subtract the one vector from the other. this could be done via graphical techniques or using law of sines and cosines or by using calculus and a function of his position, or speed, along with some initial condition constants

i leave it to your imagination to determine whether Snoddy will get caught by the pursuing defender, but i remind you of his excellent performance in sprint competitions

EDIT: the concept of relative speed crumbles at speed approaching the limiting velocity (commonly called the "speed of light"), c. thus such an analysis as above might not work for SEC teams

This totally sounds like a GT Classic Physics multiple choice question:

A 400 m sprinter runs his event in x seconds.
A 1600 m sprinter runs his events in y seconds.
Who had the greater average velocity? (assume constant speed)

with the accompanying picture of a tpyical track & field track.

Last edited:
Back