any way to chart CPJ's twitter velocity?

"Rate of change of distance/time" is acceleration, not velocity.

both in addition to mobile web, check the link beej posted

Not uncommon for someone to have two different phones, especially if the GTAA is giving the coaches phones. Not surprising seeing as how coaches do a lot of work on the road.

"Rate of change of distance/time" is acceleration, not velocity.

my original words: while "velocity" is rate of change of distance/time.

i am using it definitionally, and i should have added a "the" in front of the word "rate" to more clearly state that velocity is a rate of change, that rate of change is distance per unit time (more accurately, ∆position per unit time). and it needs a direction.

there is no direction and there is no distance in a tweet. its a pure frequency.

units are important, no matter what a pony says. show me how a tweet has m/s.

i am using it definitionally, and i should have added a "the" in front of the word "rate" to more clearly state that velocity is a rate of change, that rate of change is distance per unit time (more accurately, ∆position per unit time). and it needs a direction.

there is no direction and there is no distance in a tweet. its a pure frequency.

units are important, no matter what a pony says. show me how a tweet has m/s.
I think the problem is you used a slash instead of 'with respect to', so it looks like

distance over time instead of distance with respect to time

(distance over time as in distance divided by time is velocity in 'arithmetical' physics)

yes, i agree that i stated it poorly and it was easy to misinterpret

i usually think of the slash as "per unit", so distance per unit time

i should have used brackets (rate of change of distance)/time

its not narrow, its specific an accurate. it relates to position and movement, not amounts. i guess studying physics it bothers me. also, how do you account for the lack of a DIRECTION since velocity is a VECTOR

To me, distance is an amount of distance travelled in a certain direction, often only on the x-axis. An amount of twits increasing could be categorized as being the same.

Time for an etymology lesson. Velocity comes from the Latin velocité which means great speed. Speed doesn't have a VECTOR or DIRECTION. Just because a bunch of physicists decided to redefine a word, doesn't mean it's correct.

it seems to me that communication would not be effective if we randomly interpret words according to what they used to mean in languages that are no longer used instead of how they are currently defined in our language in our current times

ve·loc·i·ty
/vəˈläsətē/
Noun
The speed of something in a given direction.

when people feel bored by the words that they use they think its cool to bastardize words into other areas - especially sports and business talking heads. its annoying and stupid to me.

"velocity of tweets" would mean how quickly his tweets travel through the time-space continuum and depends more on his network than how many tweets per unit time he makes. this is just basic science.

when you try to sound cool about "decision density matrix" and "quantitative comparison recruiting simulations" its gone too far. dont tell me that you want to "take this discussion offline" either, i dont want to discuss our marketing "bandwidth", or architect a solution. I am not interested in cross-pollinating our customer base nor in getting my mind boogled.

next thing you know we will be running statistical models on ridiculous commentator comments like whether additional time to prepare for our "unique" offense makes us statistically significantly more affected than other teams. Where does it end? Statistical modeling of letter-sending strategies on a combination "other offers" and "star rankings" for effective recruiting?

while you may think its cute and all to try to 'liven up' the language used in various industries, i think the misappropriation of scientific terms is something that makes this world a less great place to live - and something that i will do my part to hinder and to defend the established meaning of words

Last edited:
Well if we're going to go all jesus christ mega über nerd, you could characterize the nature of the content of the tweets in an established n-dimensional space, and the variations in content would describe a content vector.

I know the derivative of acceleration is considered 'jerk', but I was wondering if any of you nerds out there use that in the real world. My high school calculus teacher mentioned it but at tech there was no mention of it. It's hard for me to conceptualize and I was hoping from some practical information.

Well if we're going to go all jesus christ mega über nerd, you could characterize the nature of the content of the tweets in an established n-dimensional space, and the variations in content would describe a content vector.

I already said that, but physicists demand that you put the vector part in even if it can be assumed. I guess there is no velocity in drag racing.

it seems to me that communication would not be effective if we randomly interpret words according to what they used to mean in languages that are no longer used instead of how they are currently defined in our language in our current times

this is some horrible trolling

Back