Anyone a Rivals/Scout member?

GruffyMcGuiness

We Dedrick
Me and another guy are thinking about splitting 50/50 and getting a membership to one.

1. Is it worth it or can you just get the same info looking on Twitter and on here?

2. Scout or Rivals? Which is better?

I have a sub to Rivals.

I like it. It's 10 bucks a month for some good conversation about GT sports. You can usually gauge a lot better the behind the scenes stuff on recruiting and team issues than you can from pure speculation on this board.

I would recommend it. Just note that we don't know about commitments 5 days before everyone else. You can learn on twitter and even on here in a matter of seconds of Rivals posting a new commitment. But you know the stuff leading up to the commitment way before it pops which is what you pay for.

Just a note: One of the guys that runs it said a week ago that all 15 recruits are solid. Spot on in my opinion.

I have a sub to Rivals.

I like it. It's 10 bucks a month for some good conversation about GT sports. You can usually gauge a lot better the behind the scenes stuff on recruiting and team issues than you can from pure speculation on this board.

I would recommend it. Just note that we don't know about commitments 5 days before everyone else. You can learn on twitter and even on here in a matter of seconds of Rivals posting a new commitment. But you know the stuff leading up to the commitment way before it pops which is what you pay for.
Good post. I figure 10 bucks a month isn't bad at all considering 8 months of no football. The more Tech related stuff I can read, the better.

As a former subscriber to both, Scout has a good-ol-boy network going on, where only a handful of mods know the info, but they don't actually share it with the people who pay to know the information. The articles leave a lot to be desired and when they do share inside information, it's limited. Usually another site will eventually break the news and the guys at Scout say "We were bound by secrecy by our source." Of course, I canceled my subscription a few years ago. It may have changed since then but I doubt it.

Rivals has better information, but I recently canceled there too. A friend of mine, who's mainly a lurker on GT message boards also recently canceled his Rivals membership. It was a great site up until about a year ago, when posts on message boards starting to get deleted just because the mods didn't agree with what was being said. I also canceled because it seemed like the content was beginning to suffer.

If I had to choose one, I would say Rivals. But if I were you, I'd save the $10 a month and just wait the 20 minutes to an hour for private message board stuff to go public.

Rivals covers college baseball as well. Scout does not.

There's not much out there in general as far as baseball is concerned, so rivals has a big edge IMO.

I pretty much have to read Baseball America, Perfect Game, and Collegiate Baseball for any coverage, and those are all national.

Ole Jdub just threw Kelly right under the big yellow bus.

Eh, not necessarily Kelly. Toward the end, it just seemed like the information was more guessing than anything. Of course I know the mods are dealing with teenagers who will tell you one thing and then do another. That's mainly why I canceled.

Re: Rivals is better for information

if you want debate & humor, the Hive.

They also have a terrible layout from the late-90s and the mods tend to keep the free boards pretty white-washed. I'd guess most of ST are Hive refugees.

As a former subscriber to both, Scout has a good-ol-boy network going on, where only a handful of mods know the info, but they don't actually share it with the people who pay to know the information. The articles leave a lot to be desired and when they do share inside information, it's limited. Usually another site will eventually break the news and the guys at Scout say "We were bound by secrecy by our source." Of course, I canceled my subscription a few years ago. It may have changed since then but I doubt it.

Rivals has better information, but I recently canceled there too. A friend of mine, who's mainly a lurker on GT message boards also recently canceled his Rivals membership. It was a great site up until about a year ago, when posts on message boards starting to get deleted just because the mods didn't agree with what was being said. I also canceled because it seemed like the content was beginning to suffer.

If I had to choose one, I would say Rivals. But if I were you, I'd save the $10 a month and just wait the 20 minutes to an hour for private message board stuff to go public.

The insiders board on Scout started getting better. There for a long time, like you said, the insiders didn't actually share anything. It was mostly just another discussion board where a little more talk about recruits happened. Everyone started bitching and they began doing a daily "insiders" thread to share some everyday information with the goings on in the athletic department. Nothing ground breaking, but it was definitely a tossed bone for subscribers.

In the end, I still ended up cancelling my account some 6 or 7 months ago, since every "inside" piece of information you get ends up being spilled on a public board (particularly here) almost immediatly after.

I used to have both, but dumped Scout about 2 years ago because I didn't like the way the message board was censored and I thought that the info was spun too much. The info on Scout always came across in a condescending "I know something you don't know and I can't tell you, but it is really interesting" sort of way.

Rivals in my opinion is better and the information is put out faster. Is the information always 100% correct? Nope, but I rarely get the impression that information is being withheld. Sometimes this results in inaccuracies being reported, but if I'm paying to be in the know, I'd like to have that information rather than to wait days to get the full story.

I doubt the info is much different, but I like the way the board works over there and the information is presented better than on Scout and that message board that really doesn't lead to any objective debate/criticism.

It is worth it. The information can be off for every site. These are 17 year old kids who tell a rivals reporter that they are definitely solid then the next day an SEC school offers and everything else he said before went to hell. Now that doesn't make the reporter a bad one or spinning info.

But Rivals gets the info fast. The best part of rivals is the relationship Kelly has with the staff and he gets good information. Also he has good sources from uga(rivals) reporters and elsewhere so he can confirm his info as best as possible.

I enjoy the site

IMO, Kelly is the best and it isn't even close.

Kelly does give information straight up as he knows it at the time. Is it always right? No. simply because of the nature of recruiting and minds changing, but everytime you ask him for an update he'll give you something or tell you that he's waiting to confirm some stuff. He's very responsive.

Eric Thompson always does a great job too. Rivals is the best if you have to go with something.

I follow Kelly and Eric on Twitter and they both do a fantastic job. Looks like Rivals is the best choice

Rivals has better information, but I recently canceled there too. It was a great site up until about a year ago, when posts on message boards starting to get deleted just because the mods didn't agree with what was being said.

This is not true. Posts are rarely deleted compared to most message boards...and there are only 3 reason it happens...typically immediately after a bad loss or we take a recruit people do not like.

Posters can state all of the opinions they want about Paul, the other coaches, the GT administration...can question the play of student-athletes in an appropriate manner (see above)...etc. etc...all of which are not allowed on other boards.

What will get posts pulled:

1) Profanity laced posts that are either beyond editing or part of a board spam/rant that time does not permit mods to edit...usually from a frequent profanity-laced poster

2) Calling out a young student-athlete directly in a manner where one is not making a football assessment. Ex. BAD POST- "Joey sucks cow balls" GOOD POST- "Joey seems to lack the burst we would really like to see at that position"

3) Direct attacks on other posters because this is a huge complaint that comes into the email boxes...people get tired of surfing through threads and seeing two posters tell each other how much the other is a 'f'n idiot' and that type of thing.

Kelly does do a great job with JacketsOnline...really seems to be tight with the inner workings of the GT football program.

This is not true. Posts are rarely deleted compared to most message boards...and there are only 3 reason it happens...typically immediately after a bad loss or we take a recruit people do not like.

Posters can state all of the opinions they want about Paul, the other coaches, the GT administration...can question the play of student-athletes in an appropriate manner (see above)...etc. etc...all of which are not allowed on other boards.

What will get posts pulled:

1) Profanity laced posts that are either beyond editing or part of a board spam/rant that time does not permit mods to edit...usually from a frequent profanity-laced poster

2) Calling out a young student-athlete directly in a manner where one is not making a football assessment. Ex. BAD POST- "Joey sucks cow balls" GOOD POST- "Joey seems to lack the burst we would really like to see at that position"

3) Direct attacks on other posters because this is a huge complaint that comes into the email boxes...people get tired of surfing through threads and seeing two posters tell each other how much the other is a 'f'n idiot' and that type of thing.

Kelly does do a great job with JacketsOnline...really seems to be tight with the inner workings of the GT football program.

*Sigh*

This is the primary drawback of JacketsOnline, Gruffy: hivered's constant policing and spinning. Aside from him, the site has got a good thing going for it and I would recommend it if you're hell-bent on subscribing to either Scout or Rivals.

Back