Anyone Following the Maryland Story?

The environment where people aren't paid for their work and they are forced to continue, with no regard for their safety by those tasking them, past the point of physical failure reminds me of something. Can't quite put my finger on it.
Yeah, and their food and board was paid for too. And they couldn’t read either. And they all chose it voluntarily and were super excited about it.

Wait, what are we talking about?

My initial reaction to this story was that it was probably overblown. After reading former player’s statements and all the articles, it is abundantly clear that Coach Durkin is a five star asshole. I hope the guy never coaches again.

Kudos to the press for doing their job(s).
Would that the press would do their "jobs" in other arenas.

Yeah, rinse your mouth and spit it out or you'll get cramps...or worse. I ignored that advise, but even so water typically wasn't available at practices except perhaps from a hosepipe.

It's amazing more players didn't die back in the '60s and '70s.
The training intensity isn't even remotely comparable. Back in the day, you were fit and tough. Nowadays, athletes are pushing beyond the limits of what a human body is capable of doing and relying on things like oxygen tanks to aid recovery.

The training intensity isn't even remotely comparable. Back in the day, you were fit and tough. Nowadays, athletes are pushing beyond the limits of what a human body is capable of doing and relying on things like oxygen tanks to aid recovery.
True, but even back in the day it was intense physical activity in 90 degree heat and humidity.

True, but even back in the day it was intense physical activity in 90 degree heat and humidity.
Back in the day we were all acclimated because very few people spent a lot of time in air conditioning.

A Maryland football player died of heat stroke after the Maryland football training staff overworked him during spring practice and didn’t take any action to reduce his body temperature while they waited on EMTs. The Athletic Director, Damon Evans (yep), has placed the head coach and some of the staff on leave during the investigation. Players are now coming forward with pretty terrible stories about the head coach and the S&C coach. It’s a pretty awful situation.

The B1G has a bigger problem on their hands than any SEC schools.

Penn State - child rape
Michigan State - rape rape
Ohio State - slapping ladies
Maryland - actual, real life murder

This is a huge PR black eye.

Penn State - child rape

Dont forget Minnesota or someone. They had a thing too recently, I thought.

Shouldn't have fired Fridge. He was the best they've had since Ross. My Maryland grad coworker just shakes his head at how poorly Maryland has been run for decades.

I don’t think there is any doubt that a player could die in practice just about anywhere these days.

But with all we know now, all the better / cooler materials used in unis, all the medical equipment on the sidelines, the seemingly more professional head trainers it is hard to believe the med staff would say “drag his ass to the other side of the field.”

Hopefully, either way, the truth will come out, but d evans should be sweating bullets.

I have wondered for some time if 19 year olds can efficiently carry 330 to 350 pounds on the football field.
Much less carry it 100 meters 10 x.

Penn State - child rape

They don't refer to them as B1G for nothing.

Penn State - child rape

I know quoting your own original post is a "no-no" but Dennis Dodd has a sit down with Big 10 Commish (and noted fuddy duddy) Jim Delaney and the quotes aren't great:

It must be acknowledged that arguably the nation's richest conference is going through one of its roughest off-field patches. Since 2011 -- the year the Jerry Sandusky scandal broke at Penn State -- to the current Maryland investigation, there have been at least 16 high-profile instances of alleged wrongdoing in Big Ten athletic departments involving 11 of the conference's 14 schools.

In that span, four football coaches were fired for issues unrelated to winning football games. Two more might join that group soon in Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Maryland's DJ Durkin.

As the season nears, that means almost 30 percent of football coaches in the Big Ten East (two of seven) are on paid administrative leave.

In addition to the Sandusky scandal, team doctors at Michigan State (gymnastics) and Ohio State (wrestling) have been accused of sexually assaulting hundreds of athletes.

"The fact of it is these are sexual predators," Delany said. "When you see something, you have to say something. We have to get much better than that. We have to become more skeptical. We have to be more skeptical of our coaches, of our doctors, of our commissioners, more skeptical of anybody in power."

Delany sees the criminal behavior as more of a reflection of society. He quoted Center for Disease Control statistics that state nearly one-fifth of all women report experiencing rape. The ratio is 1-in-18 for men.

"It's a problem for us, but it minimizes an epidemic that is a problem in our country," Delany said. "I, as a conference commissioner, don't have the answer."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ng-picture-but-connecting-dots-may-be-unfair/

Back