Anyone really suprised or worked up about Miami?

This begs the question, how many of you single guys have one nite stands and dont use a condom. I am an old fart and never used one years ago but, todays world is mighty different.
It's a hooker. You might as well just go ahead and stick it into an HIV-infected fire ant hill that's sitting in a radioactive waste barrel.

I'm more worked up at the NCAA. This incident solidifies the notion that the NCAA infractions committee exists just to give an allusion to college football fans that the sport is fair and under control. Everyone knows its all about the $$$$$. :furious:

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=dw-wetzel_miami_scandal_scene_081711

While the NCAA was turning a blind eye toward USC, Ohio State, and Miami. They take a Conference Championship from a team over $312 and telling the head coach about it.

Is it necessary to write some of the stuff in this forum? This is a public forum folks. You are also a representative of Tech, act like it.

Back to the original question, no I am not all that surprised. I am surprised by the coaches involvement, but generally everything else is going on at every SEC. The only difference is that Miami was associated with a complete loser like Shapiro.

That guy is sitting in jail right now thinking "I got those guys back", as if that's really improving his life.
I mean you're talking about kids who an adult threw candy to and he's feeling let down by those kids not coming to his rescue? They're friggin spoiled kids.

Some people are delusional.

There's zero chance the NCAA gives Miami the death penalty. Zippo, nada, none. They wouldn't have even given SMU the death penalty if they had realized the full extent of the effects it would have.

I completely agree. But it also puts the hypocrisy of the NCAA clearly on display if they'll hammer GT based on circumstancial evidence but go light on Miami when there is apparently loads of actual evidence (and coaches and possibly administrators were complicit in the actions -and, if not complicit, then colosally stupid for ignoring the red flags).

That guy is sitting in jail right now thinking "I got those guys back", as if that's really improving his life.
I mean you're talking about kids who an adult threw candy to and he's feeling let down by those kids not coming to his rescue? They're friggin spoiled kids.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. he was looking to guys he had paid who were in the NFL and they said NO THANKS. He felt betrayed so he betrayed them.

And the coaches knew. They HAD to know. Was it not shown that 6 former assistant coaches were proven to have known?

It's a hooker. You might as well just go ahead and stick it into an HIV-infected fire ant hill that's sitting in a radioactive waste barrel.
Not talking about a hooker, a girl you pick up in a bar and take home.

I completely agree. But it also puts the hypocrisy of the NCAA clearly on display if they'll hammer GT based on circumstancial evidence but go light on Miami when there is apparently loads of actual evidence (and coaches and possibly administrators were complicit in the actions -and, if not complicit, then colosally stupid for ignoring the red flags).

I don't think they'll go light on Miami at all. I foresee at least a two year bowl ban and a lot of other punishments. But I don't think it will be the death penalty, because I don't think that's an option anymore no matter the circumstances.

I don't think they'll go light on Miami at all. I foresee at least a two year bowl ban and a lot of other punishments. But I don't think it will be the death penalty, because I don't think that's an option anymore no matter the circumstances.

Anything less than death penalty is light when compared to our punishment.

I mean you're talking about kids who an adult threw candy to and he's feeling let down by those kids not coming to his rescue? They're friggin spoiled kids.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. he was looking to guys he had paid who were in the NFL and they said NO THANKS. He felt betrayed so he betrayed them.

And the coaches knew. They HAD to know. Was it not shown that 6 former assistant coaches were proven to have known?

Two wrongs dont make a right. But more importantly, this was an adult that had kids over for a party so he'd feel important in life. He pays for their "parties". I can't imagine ANY situation in life where I'd really believe that those kids didn't just move on. To think that he was so sick that he felt betrayed that they didn't return the love is pure folly.

I am not defending Miami, but generally I know that this sort of thing goes on everywhere. Sometimes it gets out of control (like Miami's did), sometimes not so much. The real test will be if Miami's AA was involved.

Regarding coaches, Haith looks like toast, but every other program the assistants know when something is up. They all turn their back on all kinds of things. And how could they not? A poor kids shows up to practice wearing a pair of $300 sneakers. It happens all the time; the coach just isn't going to get involved unless it's pushed right INTO his face.

Generally, from what I've read, the Miami story is great drama for the media to follow ("I paid for an abortion..."), but generally it's a lot about $200 here and there, that got out of control with a thug.

I'm more worked up at the NCAA. This incident solidifies the notion that the NCAA infractions committee exists just to give an allusion to college football fans that the sport is fair and under control. Everyone knows its all about the $$$$$. :furious:

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=dw-wetzel_miami_scandal_scene_081711

While the NCAA was turning a blind eye toward USC, Ohio State, and Miami. They take a Conference Championship from a team over $312 and telling the head coach about it.
USC lost 30 scholarships and got a 2-year postseason ban following an NCAA investigation. The OSU and Miami investigations are ongoing.

It's not the NCAA's job to monitor compliance for every single member school - the COI is a purely reactionary body and doesn't do anything until a violation is reported to them either by the school or an outside source.

Generally, from what I've read, the Miami story is great drama for the media to follow ("I paid for an abortion..."), but generally it's a lot about $200 here and there, that got out of control with a thug.
If you ignore the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars for hotel rooms, drinks at clubs (for underage people at that), hookers, yacht access, house parties, etc, then yes that's all it is. :rotfl:

I'd say 95% of the interactions this guy ever had with a UM player involved an NCAA violation of some sort.

Two wrongs dont make a right. But more importantly, this was an adult that had kids over for a party so he'd feel important in life. He pays for their "parties". I can't imagine ANY situation in life where I'd really believe that those kids didn't just move on. To think that he was so sick that he felt betrayed that they didn't return the love is pure folly.

I am not defending Miami, but generally I know that this sort of thing goes on everywhere. Sometimes it gets out of control (like Miami's did), sometimes not so much. The real test will be if Miami's AA was involved.

Regarding coaches, Haith looks like toast, but every other program the assistants know when something is up. They all turn their back on all kinds of things. And how could they not? A poor kids shows up to practice wearing a pair of $300 sneakers. It happens all the time; the coach just isn't going to get involved unless it's pushed right INTO his face.

Totally agree. The thug grew up idolizing a thug mentality. You see those pics of Shapiro dawning silver bling-bling looking like a total idiot? Hell, have you ever been to a game in Miami and take a gander @ their fans? It's littered with dudes who wear upside-down green visors who are just aching to be punched in the face.

At least their program is about to though. :biggrin:

If you ignore the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars for hotel rooms, drinks at clubs (for underage people at that), hookers, yacht access, house parties, etc, then yes that's all it is. :rotfl:

I'd say 95% of the interactions this guy ever had with a UM player involved an NCAA violation of some sort.

I am not questioning that it was all a violation. I am saying that parties of all kinds go on with every program in the country. As an adult, you go to some one's house and gets booze and food. For college athletes, that's illegal if it's a booster. There is a fine line between the NCAA and normal life here.

I am saying that every program pushes that line and most of the Miami story is just the same petty offenses repeated often by one thug.

You said it yourself..."Tens of thousands of dollars...". Cam Newton cost more than the likely cost of ALL of the Miami allegations. Buying players up front, is a whole lot worse to me than parties getting out of control.

This story is as much about a jilted lover as anything else. It's selling well; the media is eating it up "I bought this player's abortion...", but only a couple of issues really matter to me (paying for injury, coaches involvement, etc.). Heck, I'm more bothered by anyone getting an abortion than I am that a player got money to help his cause.

Last edited:
I was listening to Colin Cowherd yesterday (because I use my time wisely) and actually agreed with one of his statements:

"Let's see, programs in BIG trouble with the NCAA....we've got 2 ACC teams, a Pac10/12 whatever team (USC), and a Big Ten team.....hmmm....the SEC sure is squeaky clean!!"

I think the current nationwide sentiment is vehemently anti-SEC. We're all sick and tired of their chest thumping, everyone KNOWS they are cheating, yet we are spoon fed how great they are ALL THE TIME by SECSPN. The SEC is due for a major punishment like Jeff Blauser was always due for a base hit.

I am saying that every program pushes that line and most of the Miami story is just the same petty offenses repeated often by one thug.

You said it yourself..."Tens of thousands of dollars...". Cam Newton cost more than the likely cost of ALL of the Miami allegations. Buying players up front, is a whole lot worse to me than parties getting out of control.

In no way are these petty offenses and if they were how do you define "petty"? NCAA took away our championship over $312 and telling the HC about an investigation...those violations seem pretty petty...comparatively speaking.

This was well more than "Tens of thousands". I think I read the university accepted a check for $50k, which turns out to be dirty money. I think we're looking at hundreds of thousands. Shapiro was involved in a $900 million scam so I wouldn't be suprised if we're talking multi-millions involved in these violations.

Plus, all the accusations are being backed up with evidence and financial records. The whole Cam thing is still alledged.

USC lost 30 scholarships and got a 2-year postseason ban following an NCAA investigation. The OSU and Miami investigations are ongoing.

It's not the NCAA's job to monitor compliance for every single member school - the COI is a purely reactionary body and doesn't do anything until a violation is reported to them either by the school or an outside source.

So I guess Paul Dee former Miami AD and later chairman of NCAA Infractions committee had to wait till someone blew the whistle before taking action? Is this not conflict of interest? The more I read the more it is apparent that there are major flaws in the NCAA and they are losing what little credibility they had with me and other fans I speak with.

I was listening to Colin Cowherd yesterday (because I use my time wisely) and actually agreed with one of his statements:

"Let's see, programs in BIG trouble with the NCAA....we've got 2 ACC teams, a Pac10/12 whatever team (USC), and a Big Ten team.....hmmm....the SEC sure is squeaky clean!!"

I think the current nationwide sentiment is vehemently anti-SEC. We're all sick and tired of their chest thumping, everyone KNOWS they are cheating, yet we are spoon fed how great they are ALL THE TIME by SECSPN. The SEC is due for a major punishment like Jeff Blauser was always due for a base hit.

I honestly believe the SEC schools have institutionalized a cheating system. I can't believe that Saban, Miles, Richt, Meyer, etc. are/were just so damn charming to get their pick of recruits. It's $$$. And I don't think the NCAA gives a damn because of the $$$ the SEC has generated. Mike Slive is a damn snake.

Some people are delusional.

There's zero chance the NCAA gives Miami the death penalty. Zippo, nada, none. They wouldn't have even given SMU the death penalty if they had realized the full extent of the effects it would have.
Could there not be a situation where Miami gets less than the death penalty but still crippled? In that situation, couldn't the ACC decide to wash their hands of Miami? In that situation, if we had a replacement lined up, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

So I guess Paul Dee former Miami AD and later chairman of NCAA Infractions committee had to wait till someone blew the whistle before taking action? Is this not conflict of interest? The more I read the more it is apparent that there are major flaws in the NCAA and they are losing what little credibility they had with me and other fans I speak with.

We have no idea what Paul Dee knew and when/if he knew anything. If he was aware of violations at UM, he was obligated to report it to the NCAA...but that doesn't mean he did. So far he's the biggest hypocrite in the story ("High profile athletes demand high profile compliance" :rotfl:), but we don't know if he acted maliciously during this. If it turns out the AA knew about this and didn't report it, then this may be a real death penalty situation.

Like I said, the COI is for investigations, not monitoring.

Back