Are you a 39%er?

If you are under 65, don't have a heart condition or COPD, and you are afraid to go to a game because of corona virus, you should change your name to Nancy. Corona viruses have been around most of our lives and will continue to be around the rest of our lives. Any vaccine they come up with will likely be about as effective as the flu vaccine because this virus is going to mutate just like the cold & flu have for decades.

On the bright side, it will be much cooler in the stadium this fall due the low carbon emissions we are experiencing now.

you are a ööööing idiot

This was my thought as well. We could all space out. Only issue is common areas so all concessions would have to be in seat.

I think the real issue is screaming fans not going to the bathroom. You have to spread out fans or insist nobody tells. And bring your own stuff, no concessions.

Not a vaccine per se, but certainly a significant change in containment of the pandemic. When we get over the current have, reliably have the resources (vents, PPE, staff, treatment protocols even if simply supportive care) and widespread testing capability to more effectively prevent cases from turning into outbreaks, I'll be cool even without a vaccine. Well, in all likelihood since I work at a hospital primarily doing direct patient care, I'll be gaining immunity the old fashioned way. I don't want to think about what the second most likely situation will be...

I saw Bill Curry in the grocery store a couple days ago, shortly after the CDC asked everyone to cover their faces. His 'face mask' was an old gold bandana.

Did you ask him what the good word was?

I so wish sports would not rush to make decisions and wait for Governors and the President, informed by good advisors, to let us know when it is advisable to resume public gatherings. There is no need to make sports next fall be any more complicated than this - if we bring college students back to campuses next fall where they will live in dorms and Greek houses, be in classrooms and labs together, and eat together in dining halls, then by all means let the kids play varsity, club and intramural sports. If we don’t bring students back to campus, then of course, no extracurricular activities. The same logic should apply to high schools - if we bring students together for curricular activities, let those students enjoy their extracurricular activities. Fans can choose to go and watch those athletes or not. But, denying them the right to play a sport, march in the band, present a play, or enjoy other activities while requiring them to be in a classroom together is unfair to the students and certainly is not a decision driven by good science.

If the economic sabotage continues, economic issues will keep people from sporting events, not medical ones

we aren’t playing games in New York; I’ll definitely be there this fall

Im not worried about contracting/dying from it myself, but I’d be worried about helping pass it on to high risk people that might die from it.

Also to some of the other posts, social distancing in the stadium seats doesn’t help much when there are bottlenecks everywhere in the gates, entrances, stairs, and restrooms.

I’d think about going. But would probably base the decision off of what the state of the virus looked like in the fall. It would be more complicated with a flight involved. More likely I’d just donate my season tix and watch from the bar unless things have cleared up a bit.
Same. I take care of 2 elderly people who are almost 90 years old. Both with severe lung and heart issues in the past, and the lack of empathy for people that can catch this is unbelievable. We already lost a great aunt in this mess. Yes most people will be fine. But a large number wont be. Thats who we have to protect.

Same. I take care of 2 elderly people who are almost 90 years old. Both with severe lung and heart issues in the past, and the lack of empathy for people that can catch this is unbelievable. We already lost a great aunt in this mess. Yes most people will be fine. But a large number wont be. Thats who we have to protect.

Framing it in terms of empathy is disingenuous and only demonizes others. None of what we are doing today is to protect the vulnerable, including old folks. Old folks die when they get sick, especially with comorbidities. In 2017, 61k people died of flu. Over 50k of those were people 65+, yet no one was clamoring for mandatory flu vaccines for everybody in an effort to save old people. Is 61k a large number? Not sure yet. Could be. Trying to frame this in terms of empathy for the elderly would mean never going to sporting events or mass gatherings ever again.

We are only doing this to protect overloading our healthcare system. Period. As soon as we have some assurance that we won't have to warehouse sick people in tents in Central Park, life will return.

FWIW I'm in a high-risk category.

Stay safe, Wreck Em! Those folks are lucky to have you.

If you are under 65, don't have a heart condition or COPD, and you are afraid to go to a game because of corona virus, you should change your name to Nancy. Corona viruses have been around most of our lives and will continue to be around the rest of our lives. Any vaccine they come up with will likely be about as effective as the flu vaccine because this virus is going to mutate just like the cold & flu have for decades.

On the bright side, it will be much cooler in the stadium this fall due the low carbon emissions we are experiencing now.

I was cheering you on until you got to the global warming nonsense.

I was cheering you on until you got to the global warming nonsense.

That was a bit tongue in cheek, but; this is the greatest test we've ever had of the global warming theories. If global warming does not reverse itself this year then we know carbon output is not the primary problem and that reducing carbon emissions is not the answer. If there is one bright spot to this worldwide economic shutdown it is that carbon emissions were suddenly and drastically cut globally, that should show up in the climate data.

The majority of engineers I know aren't the most physically healthy people.

Back