Artificial Turf Returns?

texstinger

Dodd-Like
There is no comparison between "astro turf" and new field turf.

In researching -

Grass fields - they still have to use pesticides and chemicals for maintenance which might prove harmful to players in direct contact like football.
Grass - timing of maintenace (cutting, reseeding, treatment, weather, watering, divot recovery) is very critical and sometimes outside of crews control.

Field Turf - doing a lot of research to replace "tire chips" on outdoor stadium fields to better help with impact cushioning and heat issues. Said they ars having some interesting positive results with Coconut shell shreddings! What they said.

Field Turf - still has some problems with Bacteria clinging to the plastic fibers (skin residue, blood, sweat / saliva). Harmful to players.

Field Turf - much more expensive to replace when due and appears to not last as long as projected.

Lots of factors to consider either way.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
All this I hear about the new field turf being so hot, would it help to cover it until 2-3 hrs prior to kickoff on the hot afternoon games to keep sun off it as much as possible, or does it heat up quickly?
?
Cover with what - reflective mylar or something? Sounds expensive.

Otherwise seems to me that covering would make it hotter.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
How dare you disrespect the great name of our stadium like that!

It's 3 Strype Lyfe Field.

Get it right.
Hopefully the team in charge of the AMC renewal stay far away from BDS@HGF, or it'll get renamed the Cletus Dinglepot Amphitheater.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
?
Cover with what - reflective mylar or something? Sounds expensive.

Otherwise seems to me that covering would make it hotter.
The black rubber pellets absorb heat from the sun. If you had it covered with large tarps, preferably white or silver/gray, it would reflect a lot of that heat and keep the playing surface underneath cooler

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Being at GT, we need to be innovative and cutting edge with this. We need to have the best technology in everything we do to showcase the school. Air conditioned field turf.
On a 94 degree kickoff we rush the field before the game?

RamblinWreck09

Greatly appreciated amongst mid 30s Turkish males
Being at GT, we need to be innovative and cutting edge with this. We need to have the best technology in everything we do to showcase the school. Air conditioned field turf.
Don't stop there. The field needs to be smart enough to detect who is standing on it and adjust it's coefficient of friction appropriately.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Don't stop there. The field needs to be smart enough to detect who is standing on it and adjust it's coefficient of friction appropriately.
Need to integrate play calls into a color adaptive surface also, so that the fans can see the play diagram like in NCAA 14 and know what to be looking for. Of course we can make it where the opponents can't see it.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
The black rubber pellets absorb heat from the sun. If you had it covered with large tarps, preferably white or silver/gray, it would reflect a lot of that heat and keep the playing surface underneath cooler
Might be an answer with test being done.

But as i posted above from a report i read, they are (especially for outdoor usage) trying to find black pellet replacements.

The say there has been some success with shredded coconut shells. Science (maybe some school with Engineering programs) can find an answer.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
the turf we had in the 80’s and 90s was absolutely terrible. Combine with the turf shoes of the day and it was an ACL tearing monster.

while I still prefer grass, the new turf of today is much improved.
We need the ACL tearing kind so visiting teams will fear playing us again.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Might be an answer with test being done.

But as i posted above from a report i read, they are (especially for outdoor usage) trying to find black pellet replacements.

The say there has been some success with shredded coconut shells. Science (maybe some school with Engineering programs) can find an answer.
If science gave us this, it needs to keep trying.

BuzzedATL

Varsity Lurker
Might explain why we tried about a thousand different end zone/center logo combinations over the past couple years. Can’t change the field appearance every week once it is turf, I’m pretty sure. Hopefully it’ll at least look like the field they showed last December for early NSD with gold end zones and gold center logo. It’s gotta be a lot easier to get the gold right on turf.

goldbybirth

This space for rent
https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf#:~:text=SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70,120 to 180 degrees F.&text="The team plays on synthetic,a 35-55 degree difference
SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70 DEGREES HOTTER THAN SURROUNDING AIR TEMPERATURES ON WARM SUNNY DAYS
On clear warm days, synthetic turf fields get superheated to temperatures from 120 to 180 degrees F. Playing on synthetic turf can melt shoes, blister hands and feet, and induce dehydration and heatstroke.

Edit- There's a lot of detailed information on this site. Go nuts.

GTce93

Varsity Lurker
https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf#:~:text=SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70,120 to 180 degrees F.&text="The team plays on synthetic,a 35-55 degree difference
SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70 DEGREES HOTTER THAN SURROUNDING AIR TEMPERATURES ON WARM SUNNY DAYS
On clear warm days, synthetic turf fields get superheated to temperatures from 120 to 180 degrees F. Playing on synthetic turf can melt shoes, blister hands and feet, and induce dehydration and heatstroke.

Edit- There's a lot of detailed information on this site. Go nuts.
I think it was the NC State game where our cleats started to melt. H-O-T.