Artificial Turf Returns?

https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf#:~:text=SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70,120 to 180 degrees F.&text="The team plays on synthetic,a 35-55 degree difference
SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70 DEGREES HOTTER THAN SURROUNDING AIR TEMPERATURES ON WARM SUNNY DAYS
On clear warm days, synthetic turf fields get superheated to temperatures from 120 to 180 degrees F. Playing on synthetic turf can melt shoes, blister hands and feet, and induce dehydration and heatstroke.

Edit- There's a lot of detailed information on this site. Go nuts.
Sounds about right. I think this explains why turf is more common up North than here in the South.

Might explain why we tried about a thousand different end zone/center logo combinations over the past couple years. Can’t change the field appearance every week once it is turf, I’m pretty sure. Hopefully it’ll at least look like the field they showed last December for early NSD with gold end zones and gold center logo. It’s gotta be a lot easier to get the gold right on turf.

Was wondering if that related to different combos as well.

But i do think, not sure, the new stuff can be painted whenever.

Look at MBS and change from bowl / playoff game to Falcon games.

But would think they want to save $.

The thing that upsets me is this is distracting us from uni talk!

All this I hear about the new field turf being so hot, would it help to cover it until 2-3 hrs prior to kickoff on the hot afternoon games to keep sun off it as much as possible, or does it heat up quickly?

I think in hot conditions they will probably water it down before the game and during halftime.

Why go artificial when there are such good natural grass hybrids?

tumblr_oull9yMPLt1tpri36o4_500.png

Folks complaining as if they are playing on the field.
This is really not a big deal

From a fan perspective, there’s just something nice about walking into a stadium and seeing a beautiful grass field. It’s not rational, but it’s real. Maybe it’s a throwback to playing football in the yard as kids, maybe it’s just knowing that it’s “real” and not “plastic.” There’s also a certain pride to having one of the best fields in the country.

I know the fake stuff has come a long way, but those of us of a certain age still have the scars from the old Grant Field turf (and even worse, the old SAC field turf).

I guess we’ll get used to whatever they roll out there. If it’s cheaper to maintain, more consistent to play on, no worse for the players, and lets us raise revenue by hosting other events, those are all good reasons.

I still like real grass better, though. It felt so good when we finally went back to grass after having that old AstroTurf.

JRjr

So if you are a top athlete in the Southeast would you rather play on plastic turf or on grass? It will be interesting to see what the impact to recruiting is, I bet it will be mixed. Receivers may like the turf, linemen may prefer grass. The local high school just put in a turf field; so it is not an unknown in high school; but does the high school grades of turf leave a good impression on high school recruits players...or a bad impression. I would rather watch a game on grass; but I'm old school.
I think it will hurt recruiting.

The old turf in the 80’s was hot as blue blazes. It would soak up through your shoes.

I'm surprised not to already see a thread on this.

Rumor has it that the team was told today that BDS will be converting to the fake stuff.

Anyone have any details?
It would be an investment towards the model of more concerts, more cash.

I can tell you that Gwinnett County determined that the upkeep/life cycle cost of the Field Turf product is lower than natural grass. Factoring in the staff required to maintain it and the watering and such. And I would think that these costs would be higher for BDS since it is just one field as opposed to Gwinnett County where they can share the maintenance crews across multiple fields at the high schools.
Ten years ago when our daughter was in HS their AD told me that it costs that it exactly a wash for them. Spent $65k per year to resod vs $650k and replace it ten years later. Plus it allows more teams to play and practice on a quality field.

https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf#:~:text=SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70,120 to 180 degrees F.&text="The team plays on synthetic,a 35-55 degree difference
SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70 DEGREES HOTTER THAN SURROUNDING AIR TEMPERATURES ON WARM SUNNY DAYS
On clear warm days, synthetic turf fields get superheated to temperatures from 120 to 180 degrees F. Playing on synthetic turf can melt shoes, blister hands and feet, and induce dehydration and heatstroke.

Edit- There's a lot of detailed information on this site. Go nuts.

Some good info / analysis but saw dates of 2015, 2007, 2008. Think a lot has changed.

Why can't the filler be white to reflect heat instead of black? The circulating water idea should work.
We have a school of Materials Science and Engineering. We should solve the heat problem and the injury issues. We are Georgia Tech! We can do this!
With a little creativity we can have the field turf firms paying us for the technology and providing our field at no charge.

I do sort of hope we alternate the light/dark green every 5 yards. I always like that look when they cut the field that way. IIRC, they can "groom" a turf field to look like that too without actually being 2 different shades of green.

Like this:

10498189_861465120549702_6299579282741828848_o.jpg

Back