Artificial Turf Returns?

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I'm surprised not to already see a thread on this.

Rumor has it that the team was told today that BDS will be converting to the fake stuff.

Anyone have any details?

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Don’t like the sound of that one bit. Is this a cost-saving change due to Covid losses? If I’m not mistaken, Tech’s grounds crew (especially baseball) is known for being some of the best in the business.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
N.D., Mich., Nebraska, OSU have it. Texas as well but not sure.
If it were not for the SEC schools, except for Ole Miss in the heat belt having turf, then there would be a definite larger number of schools with FieldTurf than with grass.

AFAIK - GT would be the one in the southernmost part of U.S. with it.

This new stuff is nothing like AstroTurf, and if we are going to play in MBS we might want to get accustomed to it.

AS LONG AS it doesn't hurt recruiting.

And since we want to recruit more players to make it to the NFL, I believe that is the surface of choice in the pros.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Funny that the Raiders and the Cardinals play indoors on natural grass, or at least the Raiders will.

Miami needs artificial turf. That field is garbage.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
So if you are a top athlete in the Southeast would you rather play on plastic turf or on grass? It will be interesting to see what the impact to recruiting is, I bet it will be mixed. Receivers may like the turf, linemen may prefer grass. The local high school just put in a turf field; so it is not an unknown in high school; but does the high school grades of turf leave a good impression on high school recruits players...or a bad impression. I would rather watch a game on grass; but I'm old school.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I'd be curious to see what studies have been done to compare the new turf to grass fields when comparing the # of knee injuries from spikes caught in the grass/turf.
As for me? I'm too old to play so I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Hell, if it makes it easier to put a logo on the field that says "To Hell With Georgia", I'm ALL IN!

We had a turf field back in the 80's and it was fine even though it was pretty much directly on top of concrete, the way it felt. So I don't think it's as big of a deal as many on here seem to think it will be.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
More than that, I wonder if there is a difference in heat on the field. The players were complaining about their feet burning at Tulane.

coit

More than that, I wonder if there is a difference in heat on the field. The players were complaining about their feet burning at Tulane.
The noon games in September will be brutal. Black rubber pellets are used to weigh down the turf, and that stuff absorbs the heat. I've been on it for some summer LAX tourneys and it truly is hot. Will be hot for both teams though.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
A quick search this morning shows that Prep / Installation / Maintenance is a good bit More Expensive with Field Turf (there are indeed some Maintenance costs).

Best I can find is that well over 1/2 of college teams use A/T.

NFL stats seem to show more lower body injuries with A/T.

I prefer real because when you come off a football field you should have some dirt on you, but we seem to be having to replace our turf way to often (and didn't we have to resod midseason last year?)

And, regardless of the stadium, aren't a majority of teams Practicing on A/T?

I don't necessarily like it, but I can see it happening.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
The noon games in September will be brutal. Black rubber pellets are used to weigh down the turf, and that stuff absorbs the heat. I've been on it for some summer LAX tourneys and it truly is hot. Will be hot for both teams though.
Friday night games?

coit

A quick search this morning shows that Prep / Installation / Maintenance is a good bit More Expensive with Field Turf (there are indeed some Maintenance costs).

Best I can find is that well over 1/2 of college teams use A/T.

NFL stats seem to show more lower body injuries with A/T.

I prefer real because when you come off a football field you should have some dirt on you, but we seem to be having to replace our turf way to often (and didn't we have to resod midseason last year?)

And, regardless of the stadium, aren't a majority of teams Practicing on A/T?

I don't necessarily like it, but I can see it happening.
I can tell you that Gwinnett County determined that the upkeep/life cycle cost of the Field Turf product is lower than natural grass. Factoring in the staff required to maintain it and the watering and such. And I would think that these costs would be higher for BDS since it is just one field as opposed to Gwinnett County where they can share the maintenance crews across multiple fields at the high schools.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I can tell you that Gwinnett County determined that the upkeep/life cycle cost of the Field Turf product is lower than natural grass. Factoring in the staff required to maintain it and the watering and such. And I would think that these costs would be higher for BDS since it is just one field as opposed to Gwinnett County where they can share the maintenance crews across multiple fields at the high schools.
We’ve also got baseball, softball, golf, Rose Bowl, etc. (all natural, IIRC) to maintain.

JRjr

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I have no doubt that is so. Just saying the Maintenace costs do not go to zero with A/T, eventual replacement costs are going to be higher as well.

Article I read said the schools that have greatest grass fields (appears Iowa State leads the way) also have good Ag. programs which helps in research and maintenance.

But initial outlay of $ is going to be a much bigger check for us to write compared to maintaining what we have.

Unless we are suddenly playing at Adidas / Grant Field @ Bobby Dodd / Waffle House Stadium.