Atlanta = Food & Bars

Yeah, bro! When I'm looking to get WASTED with my fratties on some bud light, Athens is a great spot.

You could say the same thing about Moondogs, dumbass.

Plenty of non-frat bars over there.

Atlanta is far from one of the best eating/drinking towns I've been around. Plus, the fact that you have to drive everywhere means you can't really drink all that much. On the whole, the cuisines offered are offered much better in other cities. The bars/pubs are just boring and dull.

Atlanta is also pretty far from a town, seeing as its well entrenched in the 10 biggest cities in the country.

Ever hear of cabs?

If you think the bars/pubs are boring you simply haven't been to many. H+F, Ormsby's, Optimist, Empire State South, Manuel's, Fado, Cypress Street, Vortex, Ri Ra, Olmstead, Murphy's, Porter, Brick Store, the Earl, Two Urban, Northside Tavern, Highlands x 25, the Local, the Book House, Krog Bar, Highlander, Independent, Tap, Churchhills - not to mention Taco Macs

(Note I don't like all of those, but some do). There's a good variety of upscale to dive. A lot of the good ones have gone to greener pastures (McTighes, Brandy House, etc.) but there are tons of good food/drink places.

And I'm not even getting into places that are more restaurant than bar.

WakeForestDemonDeacons.jpg

so is NYC a good drinking town? Because bar prices there are even higher than in Atlanta.

Price is but one small factor. Everything in Atlanta costs more than it would in Athens.

By this definition, the crap waterhole in the cheapest place in America would be the best drinking town.

Atlanta is a great balance of low cost of living + good culture. I'm in NYC on business right now and you'd be lucky to find $6 beers that don't start with "P" and end with "BR."

I guess it depends on what bars you went to but I really didn't find them any higher last spring.

What?

A cocktail in NYC is typically going to cost you $15-20 no matter where you are. The only places you pay that kind of money in Atlanta are the upscale gastropubs (like empire state south) or other upscale bars like VVV, 4 seasons, etc. A liquor drink in ATL is at least $5 cheaper on average than in NYC, and beers run a couple bucks cheaper for the most part.

You could say the same thing about Moondogs, dumbass.

Plenty of non-frat bars over there.

He was making fun of you for using price as your only comparison.

There are about 10 times the number of nice bars in Atlanta than in Athens. I don't know where we are comparing the two. Athens is a college town. Atlanta is a massive city. Completely different.

He was making fun of you for using price as your only comparison.

There are about 10 times the number of nice bars in Atlanta than in Athens. I don't know where we are comparing the two. Athens is a college town. Atlanta is a massive city. Completely different.

You seem to be confusing our metro population with our city population. Atlanta proper has a relatively modest population.

As for NYC, I know dam well I wasn't paying $7-8 for a beer (Upper West Side) but I was not going to clubs or expensive restaurants.

Maybe tax time is just getting to me but I really start to chafe when I'm paying for 3x-4x markup for a beer.

Any major college town is probably a better drinking/eating town than a major city

If you really believe that, you're doing it wrong. Though Atlanta does need to step up and get one centralized bars/clubs street.

Re: Re: Atlanta = Food & Bars

Any major college town is probably a better drinking/eating town than a major city

Yeah, in college towns you have tens of different choices, how can you go wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

You seem to be confusing our metro population with our city population. Atlanta proper has a relatively modest population.

As for NYC, I know dam well I wasn't paying $7-8 for a beer (Upper West Side) but I was not going to clubs or expensive restaurants.

Maybe tax time is just getting to me but I really start to chafe when I'm paying for 3x-4x markup for a beer.

One, trying to distinguish our "relatively modest population" is asinine. Point being, there are 6 million people relatively close to midtown/buckhead, etc. Even if you just want to count Atlanta proper, you are still talking about many times more people than live in Athens. It's a pretty simple point even you should understand. Atlanta is a major city. Athens is a college town. They aren't comparable.

Two, you must have been hitting the biggest dive bars in the upper west side to avoid paying $7-8 bucks a beer. If you are at a cheap place you can usually get a PBR or something similar for $5 or less. I don't know anywhere in the city that will give you a microbrew for less than $7-8. If you know of a place, let me know so I can go there tonight.

One, trying to distinguish our "relatively modest population" is asinine. Point being, there are 6 million people relatively close to midtown/buckhead, etc. Even if you just want to count Atlanta proper, you are still talking about many times more people than live in Athens. It's a pretty simple point even you should understand. Atlanta is a major city. Athens is a college town. They aren't comparable.

Two, you must have been hitting the biggest dive bars in the upper west side to avoid paying $7-8 bucks a beer. If you are at a cheap place you can usually get a PBR or something similar for $5 or less. I don't know anywhere in the city that will give you a microbrew for less than $7-8. If you know of a place, let me know so I can go there tonight.

I'd say $7 is standard. I've definitely been places where it was less, but it's not the norm. I've also paid more than that, but that is even rarer. It's expensive, but not as bad as people make it out to be.

I think it's dumb to consider price when determining if a place is a great food/drinking city or not. It should be based more on the quality, quantity, and variety of choices available.

If you really believe that, you're doing it wrong. Though Atlanta does need to step up and get one centralized bars/clubs street.

?Really?

Let's see now -

Highlands
Buckhead (not what it used to be, but North of the old strip there are still tons of bars. There are also tons of bars by Churchhills, Pool Hall, etc.)
Decatur
East Atl
Howell Mill / Marietta (more upscale restaurants)
Etc.

Is your point that there isn't a single "college" bar scene? One, I think you'd have to say Highlands has some of that re Emory. Two, we are a city. Not a college town. Atlanta has a pretty thriving upscale/trendy restaurant scene geared toward successful 30 and 40 somethings. The number of good, new restaurants in midtown, south buckhead, decatur, etc. is mindblowing - to the point where its öööö near impossible to go to every one. If you don't think Atlanta has good food, you simply aren't trying hard enough to get out and eat at good places.

Some of you are complaining about $6-7 beers. My take is you are probably the same people who eat at LaFonda or Jaliscos and take that to mean that ATL doesn't have any upscale dining options. You can't have it both ways. Good stuff costs money. Just naming a few places off the top of my head, you've got Restaurant Eugene, Verasano's, Antico, Optimist, West Egg, Bone Lick, Bonegarden, Star Provisions/Bachanalia, JCT Kitchen, Yum Bunz (opening soon), 5 Seasons, Toscano & Sons, Miller Union, Lure, Nan, Tamarind, 6 Feet Under, Watershed, etc. all within a mile or two of Georgia Tech - and that's just to the North of campus.

LOL you mean this?
St._Pats_120060318_170752_NRS_640_426_s_c1.jpg

no one wants to go there. It's fake. People need real streets and not some failed urban project from the 70s.

Atlanta has a bunch of bars, but they are all spread out. People bring up Athens because there are so many bars in a small area, so you dont have to drive between them (and yes there are good bars in Athens too, like Walkers and Blue Sky)

I would say most of all, Georgia Tech is in dire need of a decent row of bars. Sure there is cypress street, but its pretty much by itself and tucked away from main streets. A row of bars along northside, 10th, or 14th with some restaurants and student housing/apartments would be amazing and go a long way into making Georgia Tech a more exciting place.

I'd say $7 is standard. I've definitely been places where it was less, but it's not the norm. I've also paid more than that, but that is even rarer. It's expensive, but not as bad as people make it out to be.

I think it's dumb to consider price when determining if a place is a great food/drinking city or not. It should be based more on the quality, quantity, and variety of choices available.

7 standard for good beer? Don't hold out on me brah - still at work and will need some brew when I get off! If you know of places with good cheap beer share that info!

no one wants to go there. It's fake. People need real streets and not some failed urban project from the 70s.

Atlanta has a bunch of bars, but they are all spread out. People bring up Athens because there are so many bars in a small area, so you dont have to drive between them (and yes there are good bars in Athens too, like Walkers and Blue Sky)

I would say most of all, Georgia Tech is in dire need of a decent row of bars. Sure there is cypress street, but its pretty much by itself and tucked away from main streets. A row of bars along northside, 10th, or 14th with some restaurants and student housing/apartments would be amazing and go a long way into making Georgia Tech a more exciting place.

Northside/Howell Mill area in between 10th and 14th is getting there. Give it 5 more years and I think it will be pretty strong.

7 standard for good beer? Don't hold out on me brah - still at work and will need some brew when I get off! If you know of places with good cheap beer share that info!

Haha. Where are you going that you spend more than that? I would say most restaurants/bars I go to on UWS and FiDi are right around that price. If you go trendy bars in the village, yeah, you're going to pay more, but you should be able to go to any sports bar and pay $7 for a good beer (e.g. a Sam Adams or local brew.)

Back