Attention Triple Option Fans

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
You think the 1990 college atmosphere is equal to today’s?
it's easier to get a bowl invite today.

As nice as 2014 was, that team got an OB invite after LOSING to FSU in the ACC-CG.

Not a chance in hell the '90 Natty team gets any sort of NY6 Bowl invite with a loss of any sort. You don't even have to win your conference anymore to go to the OB. 2014 was the most fun anyone's ever had with a team that still managed to lose 3 times.

FatJacket

Helluva Engineer
Shut up about it. It was boring as öööö. And we’re all better off for it being relegated to the bins of Tech history.
When the 30 was working it’s master maestro was Paul, and it was beautiful football.

Shame on those who would disavow history. Paul was the 3rd best coach we ever had. Good Luck to CHC. I hope he has thick skin and ST loves him.

BuckNasty

Damn Good Rat

As nice as 2014 was, that team got an OB invite after LOSING to FSU in the ACC-CG.

Not a chance in hell the '90 Natty team gets any sort of NY6 Bowl invite with a loss of any sort. You don't even have to win your conference anymore to go to the OB. 2014 was the most fun anyone's ever had with a team that still managed to lose 3 times.
Your post is disingenuous considering the only reason we went to the OB was due not only to the playoff but the fact the OB wasn't in the CFP rotation that year.

Also, one of those loses was in a conference championship game which simply didn't exist in 1990.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Your post is disingenuous considering the only reason we went to the OB was due not only to the playoff but the fact the OB wasn't in the CFP rotation that year.

Also, one of those loses was in a conference championship game which simply didn't exist in 1990.
Right - going to the OB in 2014 wasn't nearly the accomplishment it was in 1990. Of course, it wasn't possible for us in 1990 since we didn't have the automatic Big-8 Conference champ tie-in.

nothing I said was incorrect though. nothing disingenuous about it. It was harder to get an NY6 bowl invite in 1990 than it is today.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.

FSU won the Natty that year, didn't they? UGAg got a Sugar Bowl invite this year losing to Alabama. I don't get the point of this

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
FSU won the Natty that year, didn't they? UGAg got a Sugar Bowl invite this year losing to Alabama. I don't get the point of this
The point is that it's easier to get a bowl invite today than it was in 1990, which your mutt bowl invite example of this year is further proof of.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Paul was the 3rd best coach we ever had.
I'd say the three guys with national championships and inducted in the HOF did more than he did. Arguable whether he's a better coach than Ross or O'Leary. I don't think anyone would dispute that he's the best "play caller" we ever had.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
I'd say the three guys with national championships and inducted in the HOF did more than he did. Arguable whether he's a better coach than Ross or O'Leary. I don't think anyone would dispute that he's the best "play caller" we ever had.
Heisman
Alexander
Dodd
Ross
GOL
were all better.

I'd dispute that 'play caller' moniker. Especially recently, CPJ had a lot of stinkers. I'm sure GOL had a few groaners though I don't remember too many from Ross.

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
Just my opinion, but Bobby Ross deserves to be in the HOF. 3 ACC championships at Maryland plus 1 ACC championship and a MNC here. Heck, Bill McCartney was inducted back in 2013. If he's in the HOF, Coach Ross needs to be in too.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
Much harder to get to Orange Bowl in 1990 than now.

A few years ago Northern Ill. ( I think) went to the Orange Bowl!
In the 1980s a G5 (BYU) won the national title and a player from I-AA (Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross) was a Heisman finalist.

Don't act like that time period only saw elite, conference-winning teams make major bowl games. Virginia finished with three regular season losses and finished third in the ACC in 1990 and still played in the Sugar Bowl.

We were a top 10 team in 2014 and absolutely belonged in the Orange Bowl. We get it: you hate Paul Johnson. But quit trying to öööö on that team. You only look like a damn fool when you do.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
In the 1980s a G5 (BYU) won the national title and a player from I-AA (Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross) was a Heisman finalist.

Don't act like that time period only saw elite, conference-winning teams make major bowl games. Virginia finished with three regular season losses and finished third in the ACC in 1990 and still played in the Sugar Bowl.

We were a top 10 team in 2014 and absolutely belonged in the Orange Bowl. We get it: you hate Paul Johnson. But quit trying to öööö on that team. You only look like a damn fool when you do.
Being a new yawker , you would certainly know about being a fool.

So please explain how getting an Orange Bowl invite in the the 90s being more difficult than getting one now has anything to do with “hating” CPJ? You are totally oblivious to the simple fact there were fewer bowls then for starters.

Uvag in sugar? Yeah, that helped change the system due to closed door agreements made before end of the season.

Who said a single word about us not belonging in the OB for the 2014 season?

Stop loving on your CPJ blowup doll more than you love GT.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Best play caller that doesn't use a play sheet.

bonham

Dodd-Like
When the 30 was working it’s master maestro was Paul, and it was beautiful football.

Shame on those who would disavow history. Paul was the 3rd best coach we ever had. Good Luck to CHC. I hope he has thick skin and ST loves him.
Any offense is "beautiful" when it's working. The 3O was extra painful when it wasn't.