Attention Triple Option Fans

I watched the entire 2014 season. You are crazy if you didn’t like how then offense looked. It was beautiful

We had more plays of 30 or more yards than anyone but Oklahoma that year. And we had about a third fewer snaps.

2016 looked pretty good too. But lets be honest, it was jt5. Tevin put up decent numbers, but the explosive plays just weren’t there. JfN was the same without Dwyer.

CPJ ended the same way Gailey did (and honestly Fedora). The backup qb just wasn’t ready to take over for a full season and the fans didn’t want to muddle through until a replacement was found.

We had more plays of 30 or more yards than anyone but Oklahoma that year. And we had about a third fewer snaps.

2016 looked pretty good too. But lets be honest, it was jt5. Tevin put up decent numbers, but the explosive plays just weren’t there. JfN was the same without Dwyer.

CPJ ended the same way Gailey did (and honestly Fedora). The backup qb just wasn’t ready to take over for a full season and the fans didn’t want to muddle through until a replacement was found.
I got to see JT5 play all of his home games and most of the important away games. It was great. Didn’t realize till it was over that it was an all time Tech great.

I'll miss it. It has a lot of nuances that I enjoyed watching. I especially enjoyed seeing opposing fans cheer for tackling the B-Back at the LOS and then realizing it was a 4-yard gain, or thinking they nailed the carrier only to realize he pitched at the last second, and those of us who saw the blocks executed knew it would be a 20-yard gain.

I was watching the Army Navy 2017 game on CBS this evening. My god I’m glad we didn’t get Monken. Some of y’all had me believing he was running a hybrid TO with more spread tempo stuff. Uhhhhh no.

I was watching the Army Navy 2017 game on CBS this evening. My god I’m glad we didn’t get Monken. Some of y’all had me believing he was running a hybrid TO with more spread tempo stuff. Uhhhhh no.

So he didn’t run tempo in a snow storm you say?

TS made the safe bet. Take a flier on CGC. If he fails, Monken will still be there if he is a good option coach.

P5 teams willing to try the option are rare.

Reactions: eg1
So he didn’t run tempo in a snow storm you say?

TS made the safe bet. Take a flier on CGC. If he fails, Monken will still be there if he is a good option coach.

P5 teams willing to try the option are rare.

Probably more like bohannan at that point

Plz ban OP. This thread is really dumb.

I love the option. I think CPJ was an unbelievable offensive coach. But Geoff Collins is our coach now and I am really excited about that. Can we shut the öööö up with the bickering about Paul Johnson?

I love the option. I think CPJ was an unbelievable offensive coach. But Geoff Collins is our coach now and I am really excited about that. Can we shut the öööö up with the bickering about Paul Johnson?
Wait, we're still bickering about Chan Gailey. And occasionally bickering about Bill Curry. Fortunately I think all our bitter divisions over Pepper are finally healed. And we haven't doxxed Mrs. Heisman yet.

Wait, we're still bickering about Chan Gailey. And occasionally bickering about Bill Curry. Fortunately I think all our bitter divisions over Pepper are finally healed. And we haven't doxxed Mrs. Heisman yet.
219.png

You need total team commitment for the option to work. It was clear when we had that and when we didn’t. It begins and ends (as with most teams and offenses) with the QB.

Nesbitt was a true warrior. Team bought in and got results.

Under Tevin the offense was good except 2010 because he wasn’t one of “the chosen one” from the recruiting class of 2007. Clear locker room issues there.

Vad Lee.

Justin Thomas had the team believing they could win every game. And they almost did.

TM doesn’t trust his teammates or himself to make the right decision. Bad results.

Who knows what the next ones would do for us but I don’t think CPJ was good at handling immaturity on the team. Probably just over it at this point in his career not to mention dealing with actual military personnel probably soured him to today’s crop of youngsters.

I think the unified GT front on CPJ is the TO is effective and won us more games than Gailey but erodes your talent level over the long haul. This talent erosion is probably why we've had alternating losing seasons in the past four years.

The TO to me was fun and exciting. There are so many teams that run the same thing and the RPO is totally boring. I like different and particularly when it works. Which it did most of the time. I also liked the cut blocking. It was amazing to me how much time opposing defenses spent on our offense - maybe because they didn't want to get embarrassed. The 3 yards and 3 yards and then bust one was very interesting. CPJ numbers speak for themselves and while I don't think it can work in the pros simply because they are too big, I would loved to have seen the offense run with superior talent that we never had, and see how it did. Th 14 team was amazing and did have some talent. But other years were high scoring as well. Even during the TW years, the offense scored points such as the UM game where we scored 35 unanswered points and still lost and the season opener loss at gobbleland.

I'll miss it but Collins needs to run what works for him.
Good post and I feel the same way but I really enjoy good defense as much as a good offense. Coach Johnson is an offensive genius and his offense was great but for some reason during his tenure our defense never could do much. Coach Collins emphasized Defense and special teams and I think that will be waht ultimately separates us. Lets give the new coach a chance to play his hand

Right because no high schools run the hurry up spread out of shotgun. That’s REAL football.
Umm...the diss is that no (obviously an exaggeration...more accurate would be not more than a few) colleges or professional teams run it, so to watch it consistently you have to watch football at the HS level.

The number of high schools running the spread or offenses out of the shotgun is irrelevant because there are professional and college teams that run those offenses in large number Sl, so you can get your fix by watching professional and college football itself.

Back