Attention Triple Option Fans

“Death Marches” are great, even necessary, when you always have a lackluster D and continually lay the failings of your program on a DC.

So that leaves 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18 when it was.
We beat a top 5 Clemson team in 2011. We dropped 68 points on an ACC team in 2013. Beating UVA, VT, and Miami was pretty good this year.

Still, if you are the kind of person who prefers slinging the ball around, obviously the CPJ offense won't be your thing.

I am open to whatever Collins will want to run. I will miss being super unique, though.

History will tell the story and I’ll let the wins and losses speak. TS is the sun rise after the last AD nightmare... let’s see if Gt goes to the NC because a top 25 offense 8 out of 11 years is gone. Reality is a brick wall or like hitting a tire with a rubber mallet... both smack you in your face.

We beat a top 5 Clemson team in 2011. We dropped 68 points on an ACC team in 2013. Beating UVA, VT, and Miami was pretty good this year.

Still, if you are the kind of person who prefers slinging the ball around, obviously the CPJ offense won't be your thing.

I am open to whatever Collins will want to run. I will miss being super unique, though.
Naw, you're still very unique.

The TO to me was fun and exciting. There are so many teams that run the same thing and the RPO is totally boring. I like different and particularly when it works. Which it did most of the time. I also liked the cut blocking. It was amazing to me how much time opposing defenses spent on our offense - maybe because they didn't want to get embarrassed. The 3 yards and 3 yards and then bust one was very interesting. CPJ numbers speak for themselves and while I don't think it can work in the pros simply because they are too big, I would loved to have seen the offense run with superior talent that we never had, and see how it did. Th 14 team was amazing and did have some talent. But other years were high scoring as well. Even during the TW years, the offense scored points such as the UM game where we scored 35 unanswered points and still lost and the season opener loss at gobbleland.

I'll miss it but Collins needs to run what works for him.

Things I’ll miss:
- offense humming and running a death march where you can see other team die

- the a back wheel route

- a late option pitch.

Things I won’t miss:
- recruiting
- passing play fire drills
- lack on plan b when running game getting stuffed
- new rules designed to disadvantage just us
Good point on the rules - it just kept getting worse and worse to where I was concerned all cut blocks would be made illegal

Oh come on. No. We should have won 06 ACCCG

I don't think we are in disagreement. OP made a comparison between the games. My point was that UGA 2018 would run 2006 Wake off the field, so it really isn't a valid comparison

The option hasn't been good the past several years though. Even in the games you mentioned, we weren't exactly running it smoothly -- hell, in the UVA game we only scored one offensive touchdown.

The peak of the offense was 2014. It really looked for all the world like we could become a powerhouse. We weren't just beating teams, we were making them look absolutely foolish on D, after we had already been running the offense for eight years (so it wasn't a matter of them not having the blueprint).

For whatever reason, that didn't happen and we regressed to the point where the offensive system this year barely resembled what we were running back then. And to me, the blame for that lies solely at CPJ's feet.

I still truly believe the TO is the right system for us, and that we could be nationally relevant with it, but there's no disputing that CPJ ended up not getting the job done and the fanbase as a whole was clearly ready to move away from it.

I don't think we are in disagreement. OP made a comparison between the games. My point was that UGA 2018 would run 2006 Wake off the field, so it really isn't a valid comparison
Oh ok. Yes.

For whatever reason, that didn't happen and we regressed to the point where the offensive system this year barely resembled what we were running back then. And to me, the blame for that lies solely at CPJ's feet.

Never replaced that leadership from that squad--Days, Laskey et al. In addition, Thomas was incredible at the QB position. Not trying to knock Marshall, but with better QB play the last 2 seasons, GT easily wins 5 to 7 more games over that time frame.

Regardless, I look forward to a new chapter on the Flats. Thank you to CPJ and welcome to CGC.

Never replaced that leadership from that squad--Days, Laskey et al. In addition, Thomas was incredible at the QB position. Not trying to knock Marshall, but with better QB play the last 2 seasons, GT easily wins 5 to 7 more games over that time frame.

Regardless, I look forward to a new chapter on the Flats. Thank you to CPJ and welcome to CGC.

Keeping Mills around would have made a difference, IMO. Bigger and stronger

The option hasn't been good the past several years though. Even in the games you mentioned, we weren't exactly running it smoothly -- hell, in the UVA game we only scored one offensive touchdown.

The peak of the offense was 2014. It really looked for all the world like we could become a powerhouse. We weren't just beating teams, we were making them look absolutely foolish on D, after we had already been running the offense for eight years (so it wasn't a matter of them not having the blueprint).

I still truly believe the TO is the right system for us, and that we could be nationally relevant with it, but there's no disputing that CPJ ended up not getting the job done and the fanbase as a whole was clearly ready to move away from it.
Well stated. I agree with literally 100% of this.

Back