Back to reality... UGAy will have a five loss

Originally posted by sfalco:
Wow! I expect us to be a top 10 team in 2004 and 2005, but I'm not about to predict us to play for a NC. It's been way too long.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Take a look at the roster.. if Richt can keep the kids out of trouble over there, I think it is more than possible.. alot of talent, an OF line that will be on year 3.. Shockley at QB.. 2005 could be your year..

Of course.. it could be ours too !!

Have you seen the grades and test scores of kids enrolling at UGA these days. They aren't that far from GT stats. And given the total number of students that enroll at UGA compared to GT, they are downright impressive.

Have you seen the grades and test scores of kids enrolling at UGA these days. They aren't that far from GT stats. And given the total number of students that enroll at UGA compared to GT, they are downright impressive.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No, I havent seen the grades and test scores for Georgia's most current football freshmen .. would like to see it tho... post them on here if its not too much trouble..

I read something the other day that had GT as #1 for incoming freshmen scores and UGA at #18 for public universities. Tech moved up while UGA moved down.

Think it was posted on the Hive.

CCujacket I have the same prediction except I have us losing to Clemson instead of bama.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I just don't see UGA losing to Clemson this year. I know it was a tight game but after watching Clemson against Texas Tech I don't see any reason why UGA can't overcome the O-line problems and score on a pretty shoddy D.

Good posts sfalco. You're being very realistic and more than fair. My prediction for UGA is 9-3 and a second place finish to UT in the east. There's no way that they lose 5 games unless the injury bug hits them in OL. They can't afford any losses there and that will be hard to do.

I've heard many FSU fans say that they were thankful that CMR played ball control because it could have gotten ugly. Regardless, it would have been a game that UGA should have won based on its late season results. An FSU victory would have been an upset and a great win for them regardless to who their QB would have been.

GO JACKETS!

How would GT's academic integrity be sacrificed by expanding its' ciriclum?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">For example, students would no longer have to know when to use the words it's or its. They could use non-words like its'. Also, they would really love Tech's new ciriclum since we would be scrapping the curriculum.
Make your children study harder than you did and they may be able to get into Tech and get an education.

I don't see them beating Clemson. In fact, if our running game can progress the way I think it will, they will struggle with us.

Dawgs will be 9 - 3 or 8 - 4. Some of those tough games against LSU, TENN, AUB, AL, FL, CLEM they should go at least .500 and win the others. Their OL may be inexperience but they have a very smart QB who will help them along.

South Georgia Jacket

I was raised a GT fan and still bleed black and gold. I spent my freshman year at Tech but graduated from UGA. I only mention that to give you some perspective on me and where I am coming from.

I see Georgia losing to Auburn for certain (home field is usually a curse in AU-UGA games.) There are lots of toss up games, UT, KY, Alabama, SC and UT. I see them losing three games all total, though I've got no specific predictions on which ones (you win some tough ones and you lose others.) UGA will be a weaker team than last year, but the SEC will be a weaker conference (for the second straight year) this year.

As for the academic standards that have been injected into the conversation, it is not as though UGA or GT players generally meet the normal admission standards of the university. So, don't act as though Tech players are engineers and don't characterize UGA students as people who barely make the 900 SAT score to get into college. Tech is an outstanding school and UGA has become a good school.

I know Tech standards for atheletes are higher than the NCAA minimums. But, the main reason for UGA recruiting superiority is that UGA has a huge fan base in this state compared to Tech. UGA is a larger school, has more graduates (35,000 to 12,000 per year) and is the state's flagship university. It is often mentioned that many UGA fans never attended college. But that is one of the reasons they recruit so well. People who have no affiliation with the school are die hard fans where as Tech fans generally have a direct connection. In general, this state roots for the Dawgs. Until it changes, Tech will struggle with in state recruiting.

Originally posted by nathogt:
I was raised a GT fan and still bleed black and gold.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are going to catch hell for this sentence.

Good post nathogt
The easy thing to do, if you live in this state, is be a Bulldog fan. As a Tech fan, I know we are saddled with academic standards that limits our in state prospects and thus cuts the number of in state fans that we are going to have.
Do I ever want Tech to have 35,000 students? Now way. I love Tech just the way it is. I love our fans because I know that we all support Tech in spite of our horrific (mostly) last 30 years.
I don't care that we don't fit 90,000 in our stadium, I'm proud that BDS is the oldest Div 1A stadium in college football. I'm proud that it is in the heart of Atlanta, not in a "quaint" college town (quaint : nothing but the college in the town)
I'm proud of Heisman, Alexander and Dodd being in our history.
I could list things until tomorrow morning. We'll be back on top in this state. Mark my word. The school, the city and the ACC is now too good not to be. The SEC will be joining the dinosaurs.

Replacing all five of your OL and all three of your LB's is not a recipe for success. They will lose early and often.

I see them losing to Clemson, LSU, Auburn, and either Bama or Tech. Bama has the better chance but we get them at home and we will both be playing for a bowl game upgrade.

CLEM U
lightningzap.gif
UPSET LOSS
MTS
blue.gif
W
SC
confused.gif
W
LSU
shocked.gif
L
ALA W
TENN
L
VANDY W
UAB W
FL
W
AUB
pat.gif
L
KENT - this is a compelling match up because it seems that UK has been close several years but no W...with Lorenzen in his last year, lets go with
lightningzap.gif
UPSET and a lot of howlin dogs

GT - not enough data

so make it 5 maybe 6 losses...6-6...can you go bowling at 6-6?

As a UGA fan, I can hope for the best...but I expect 8-4 with the following losses:
at Clemson
at LSU
at Tennessee
vs. Auburn

Regardless of whether our record is 11-1, 9-3, 8-4 or 7-5, there will be no "egg to the face" of UGA as the original post suggests.

One year of rebuilding does neither make Coach Richt nor UGA appear foolish. If anything it re-affirms the decision to terminate the previous coach, who failed to successfully recruit linemen and running backs during his last 2 years at UGA.

One thing I can count on as a UGA fan is that Mark Richt will continue to:

1. Recruit well in the state of Georgia. Unforunately for GT, UGA's relationship with high schools all across the state has improved even more than what it was.

2. Develop the physical and mental toughness of the players that he brings into the FB program. One thing FSU always has, even during their recent down years, is physically fit and mentally tough players. Here's to hoping Richt can keep Van Halanger at UGA as S & C coach.

One thing I can count on this year sfalco... UGA only has 12 ships to offer. Therefore you will not own the state this year
frown.gif

Good post JJ! Plain and simple - "just love Tech the way it is." I couldn't have said it better my friend.

LOL! JJacket thinks he can assess the level of someone's education by what is posted in a short message on an internet message board, which is the equivalent of scribbling notes on a cocktail napkin, in my opinion.

If I were writing my disertation for my doctorate, then I'll worry about punctuation and the use of grammar as suggested by the St. Martin's Handbook or Simon and Schuster.

But on an interent message board attention to grammatical detail is not a premium. Please learn something from this, sir.

Regarding your other unsolicited slam. I will damn well make sure my children study harder than I did. They will be much more prepared for college than I was. I had to do a lot of catch up in college and I ended up with 2 degrees of which I'm very proud.

Thanks for the advice.

"I don't see them beating Clemson. In fact, if our running game can progress the way I think it will, they will struggle with us."
-JJacket

Nice dangling modifier ya got there! What was it you were saying about education?

I actually think that Clemson is WAYYYYYYYY overrated this year. However, Clemson absolutely HATES UGA (actually I think they hate them more than they hate us) and they have a few VERY LARGE advantages going for them this year.

1. They play in Death Valley.
2. The pups will have 5 (count em!), 5 new offensive line starters...and your starting left tackle (Inman) is being X-rayed today to determine if his ankle is broken or not. Even if it's not, he'll be out of practice for the next 7 - 10 days...not good.
3. The pups secondary...already depleted by the suspensions for the first game....looks like it will be missing Kentrell Curry for the opener as well.

Georgia definitely has the better talent, but these 3 factors may very well be the swing factor to give Clemson just enough of an edge.

I just hope Clemson doesn't decide to blitz the quarterback a lot. Greene is quick enough to pick up on those reads and get the ball into his receivers hands quickly....that'll negate any advantage Clemson has at the line of scrimmage (which I sincerely believe they do have vs. UGA's offensive line).

Regardless, I expect this to be a very close game. Clemson will cover the spread (whatever it comes out at) and may even win this one.

Back