Bark Madley calls out CPJ

Why does our level of recruiting put limits on our success? It's easy to respond that Kansas State is comparable to Tech in recruiting, but they are performing well this year. Miami has had exceptional recruiting for years, but they were embarrassed by KSU. It's easy to single out one game and try to claim that it proves your opinion is valid, but in a few weeks he'll probably use a different game as evidence of the opposite opinion. It's just blah, blah, blah to fill up some space and sell ads.

Hard to do that when he checks out of them...or runs out of the pocket...or picks the wrong gap....or isn't quite strong enough....or athletic enough...you see where I am going? It's not that easy.

Rehashing another thread and I don't know the play calls so can't prove my theory, but when CPJ puts the offense in what I call "safe mode" or others call "prevent offense" I believe that he takes away plays that Tevin actually executes better then Nesbitt did. I think Tevin does a better job getting outside and handling the QB keeper or pitch better than Nesbitt (this year, anyway). When trying to protect a lead CPJ goes to a lot of dive & QB follow, which people rightly point out is not Tevin's strong suit.

The offense was heavy QB/BB with the long ball under Nesbitt. Tevin doesn't have the BB talent behind him Nesbitt did, nor the physical strength. So why put the offense in Nesbitt mode if Tevin can't run it?

People are pointing out one or two plays Tevin didn't make - I'm talking about the offensive philosophy with a lead you are trying to protect. I think it better to leave it more wide open and risk a fumble/int rather than try to fit a square peg in a round hole by asking Tevin to be Nesbitt.

Ehh, if Paul says Tevin gives us a better chance to win than Vad, I trust him. But we're going to be 3-3, (1-3 ACC) in a couple weeks. At some point, you give the next guy a head start on trying to win conference titles in the future.

Why does our level of recruiting put limits on our success? It's easy to respond that Kansas State is comparable to Tech in recruiting, but they are performing well this year. Miami has had exceptional recruiting for years, but they were embarrassed by KSU. It's easy to single out one game and try to claim that it proves your opinion is valid, but in a few weeks he'll probably use a different game as evidence of the opposite opinion. It's just blah, blah, blah to fill up some space and sell ads.

KState has made a living off juco transfers for years. I haven't checked their roster lately. GT can't do that. Miami always has great athletes....they just rarely have any direction. GT "it is what it is".

Mark should run for politics cause I've never seen someone write something as long as this and as flip-floppy and at the end makes absolutely no sense.

The points he makes in sequence:

1. Says CPJ's offense wasn't at fault
2. Says Al Groh's defense wasn't at fault
3. It's Paul Johnson
4. Coaching same way as he always had been
5. It's cause Nesbitt left
6. Tevin sucks
7. But it's not Tevin's fault
8. Without '08 '09 players offense functions
9. Offense still functions with '12 players
10. But offense can't kill clock
11. Defense was missing tackles, but not defense's fault
12. Tech beat wake in '09 with go-ahead TD in OT
13. '09 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it worked
14. '12 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it didn't work
15. "Same coach, same bold choice. Different players, different result."
16. Running pro-style offense will leave GT last in league.
17. We just have a "stylized" offense and that's it.

Don't forget our talent level is "closer to Georgia Southern's than Georgia's"!

A really really bad article.

No I am pretty sure nesbitts Oline was equally as putrid. Had folks recruited at RB and WR playing Oline then.

I only recall one converted TE, not backs and wide receivers. If your offense relies on Oline, why haven't you recruited it better? He's had 4 years now. Why haven't you recruited a big qb who can survive with inept line play?

Coach makes the call to go for it. That comes with some level of QB risk that needs to be factored into the decision.

Coach has been shying away from the same scenario that used to be automatic. I can't blame him for getting frustrated and telling the kid to go earn his dinner.

Mark should run for politics cause I've never seen someone write something as long as this and as flip-floppy and at the end makes absolutely no sense.

The points he makes in sequence:

1. Says CPJ's offense wasn't at fault
2. Says Al Groh's defense wasn't at fault
3. It's Paul Johnson
4. Coaching same way as he always had been
5. It's cause Nesbitt left
6. Tevin sucks
7. But it's not Tevin's fault
8. Without '08 '09 players offense functions
9. Offense still functions with '12 players
10. But offense can't kill clock
11. Defense was missing tackles, but not defense's fault
12. Tech beat wake in '09 with go-ahead TD in OT
13. '09 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it worked
14. '12 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it didn't work
15. "Same coach, same bold choice. Different players, different result."
16. Running pro-style offense will leave GT last in league.
17. We just have a "stylized" offense and that's it.

Wow, I just read the article and thought it boiled down to two points:
1. PJ's offense isn't the problem.
2. PJ's stubbornness about recruiting is the problem.

I thought all and all it was a dumb criticism, and I usually agree with Mark Bradley. PJ is trying to get big recruits just the same as anyone. It's just harder because it's at Tech.

Don't forget our talent level is "closer to Georgia Southern's than Georgia's"!

A really really bad article.

That was a dumb line. I think Bradley liked the sound of it more than he considered the logic of it.

Y'all must remember that Bradley loves to write provocative articles.

I only recall one converted TE, not backs and wide receivers. If your offense relies on Oline, why haven't you recruited it better? He's had 4 years now. Why haven't you recruited a big qb who can survive with inept line play?

I am not CPJ but thanks anyway.:rotfl: We are seeing that CPJ missed on recruiting a qb the first couple of years. This isn't the NFL where he can just go pick one up.

Even if recruiting hasn't improved under CPJ, it certainly hasn't gotten any worse. Weird for anyone to characterize it as a new problem as the esteemed Mr Bradley has chosen to do here. His points about the adaptiveness of CPJ's play calling are odd too, given the ample criticism from many other sources that CPJ has become disastrously more conservative in that arena, even in the last game. But what's weirdest about the article is that the framing of it is essentially "it's not Tech's offense that is causing it to lose". There's just one blurb in the whole thing about the defense not being Alabama, and the rest of it is about Paul Johnson's play calling and recruiting.

Seems like since Paul Johnson lost a game, lots of people feel like whatever issues they have with him must absolutely be the case, and if you have a problem with it, SCOREBOARD! There are some valid criticisms to be had but this is pretty dumb. Everyone is just in such a hurry to be right, though, that my worst fear is we'll never know, one way or the other. I'm glad that remains a seemingly outside shot, for the moment.

Who on D is a lesser player than his counterpart in '08-'10?

Bark Madley's writing talents are closer to Heather Dinich's than Furman Bisher.

CPJ arrived at GT on December 7, 2007. NSD was early February 2008. Not much time to have a big impact on recruiting. So, unless CPJ started true freshman O-Linemen this year, he's really working with just 3 years of "his" recruits.

CPJ had "his" recruiting classes in
1. Feb 2009
2. Feb 2010
3. Feb 2011
4. Feb 2012

According to ESPN, there 18 O-Linemen on the roster.
Here's the recap of those 18:

Seniors: 2
Juniors: 5
Sophomores: 3
Freshmen: 8

And most on this board seem to be aware of CG's putrid O-Line recruiting that BOR has EXTENSIVELY documented.

If he's right about our talent level being close to Georgia Southern's, we need to commend our coaching staff for doing such an amazing job with a bunch of guys that otherwise couldn't beat Citadel.

But, of course, he's not correct about that.

Back