Bark Madley calls out CPJ

Bark Madley's writing talents are closer to Heather Dinich's than Furman Bisher.

This. Bradley calls "talent not scheme" in his GT articles more frequently than CPJ call triple-option.

I am simply at a loss to explain what happened to us on Defense this week. I suspect that the Groh disciples on Miami's staff just know him well enough to pick him apart. When they went to no huddle to prevent our D from being able to substitute for situation, we got handled.

On offense, the answer seems obvious: Will Jackson. We just don't have the reliable depth at Tackle that we need. For all of the talk about the deep OL, it's a different offense when we have to rely on Kidney. The spare parts OL killed us in the Sun Bowl too.

In his defense I thought about bringing that up, but he didn't say close to GA Southern's, just closer to them than UGA's...I guess we'll see since we play UGA right after GA Southern does this year.

And yeah Will Jackson's injury killed us offensively...

A stat to consider, based on a review of 2002-2011 seasons:

For regular season games where CG had >7 days to prepare, he was 0-8.

For regular season games where CPJ had >7 days to prepare, he is 6-4

Why does our level of recruiting put limits on our success? It's easy to respond that Kansas State is comparable to Tech in recruiting, but they are performing well this year.

Actually Mr. Badaas on defense from KSU was a UM transfer after the scandal. Wonder why he went to KSU and not GT. :rolleyes:

well, if recruiting like georgia means we have to play an isaiah crowell, i'm glad we don't.

How this works ...
They have a daily meeting at the AJC sports section. Chief says, OK, Tech lost a game it should have won. Who wants to throw PJ under the bus this week? Mark, I believe it's your turn.
BM: But ... but ... he'll beat me up if I do it. He'll be mean to me and pick on me and give Sgt. Schultz all the good quotes.
Schultz: So? At least I'm not the one he's going to beat up. Have fun with it, Dr. Naismith! I'm going to Falcons practice.

Good synopsis. Wish I could vote this up.
+1, at least.

Mark should run for politics cause I've never seen someone write something as long as this and as flip-floppy and at the end makes absolutely no sense.

The points he makes in sequence:

1. Says CPJ's offense wasn't at fault
2. Says Al Groh's defense wasn't at fault
3. It's Paul Johnson
4. Coaching same way as he always had been
5. It's cause Nesbitt left
6. Tevin sucks
7. But it's not Tevin's fault
8. Without '08 '09 players offense functions
9. Offense still functions with '12 players
10. But offense can't kill clock
11. Defense was missing tackles, but not defense's fault
12. Tech beat wake in '09 with go-ahead TD in OT
13. '09 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it worked
14. '12 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it didn't work
15. "Same coach, same bold choice. Different players, different result."
16. Running pro-style offense will leave GT last in league.
17. We just have a "stylized" offense and that's it.

One 3rd and long stop on Miami's last drive and one tackle late in regulation on a crossing pattern against VT and we're 4 - 0.

Forget that stupid Bradley column. I'll say the same thing here that I've been saying for almost 2 years. This offense is one great QB away from taking it to the next level.

A tough, playmaking QB doesn't choke away two OT's with boneheaded plays. A playmaking QB puts the team on his back and wills it to victory in the face of adveristy. A great QB picks up those few extra yards needed to keep the clock running.

PJ, please bench Tevin Washington.

Just do it.

Rehashing another thread and I don't know the play calls so can't prove my theory, but when CPJ puts the offense in what I call "safe mode" or others call "prevent offense" I believe that he takes away plays that Tevin actually executes better then Nesbitt did. I think Tevin does a better job getting outside and handling the QB keeper or pitch better than Nesbitt (this year, anyway). When trying to protect a lead CPJ goes to a lot of dive & QB follow, which people rightly point out is not Tevin's strong suit.

The offense was heavy QB/BB with the long ball under Nesbitt. Tevin doesn't have the BB talent behind him Nesbitt did, nor the physical strength. So why put the offense in Nesbitt mode if Tevin can't run it?

People are pointing out one or two plays Tevin didn't make - I'm talking about the offensive philosophy with a lead you are trying to protect. I think it better to leave it more wide open and risk a fumble/int rather than try to fit a square peg in a round hole by asking Tevin to be Nesbitt.

PJ's safe mode is to not pitch the ball. It's handoffs or keepers.

Mark should run for politics cause I've never seen someone write something as long as this and as flip-floppy and at the end makes absolutely no sense.

The points he makes in sequence:

1. Says CPJ's offense wasn't at fault
2. Says Al Groh's defense wasn't at fault
3. It's Paul Johnson
4. Coaching same way as he always had been
5. It's cause Nesbitt left
6. Tevin sucks
7. But it's not Tevin's fault
8. Without '08 '09 players offense functions
9. Offense still functions with '12 players
10. But offense can't kill clock
11. Defense was missing tackles, but not defense's fault
12. Tech beat wake in '09 with go-ahead TD in OT
13. '09 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it worked
14. '12 CPJ chose to go for 4th and short, it didn't work
15. "Same coach, same bold choice. Different players, different result."
16. Running pro-style offense will leave GT last in league.
17. We just have a "stylized" offense and that's it.

Great summary! I thought the article was pure BS also.

Mark Bradley is a Tech hater. He simply enjoys punishing Paul Johnson with his articles. I just hope that recruits don't read his garbage. He is a UGA proponent and uses his pen to put Tech down. Tech fans should boycott the AJC. I certainly don't see our problem being offense when the defense gets ripped for 600 yards. That lies on the defense. 36 points was enough to beat Miami. There is a problem on the defense which most people on this blog have already identified. The team is very weak on the DL. There is not a playmaker in that group. I don't think we will fix this situation this year. Dieke needs more girth, TJ is not quick enough. Cross has the size and the tools but something is amiss.

Back