BeeBad, My Promised Statement

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I had promised you I would give you my thoughts as soon as I knew myself. Well, here they are.

MY VIEWS ON THE GAME

We have very good material on the offensive line, and in my opinion, we were playing a weak BYU team. I expected our OL to blow holes in their defense. It never happened.

It has to be poor play calling or poor preparation by the offensive line coach. The offensive line play did not live up to my expectations.

We have very good material on defense, especially at linebacker and the defensive backs. We gave up the short pass all night and never adjusted to it.

In my opinion, our defense was poorly prepared by Tenuta. Not only poorly prepared, but he never adjusted to the short pass. The short pass was the achilles heel that killed us. It was much like the Wake Forest game, except we never adjusted to their running.

I am highly disappointed in the offensive line play and defensive back play. Since I have always believed a team is the mirror image of its coaches, I personally credit these two deficiencies to the two respective coaches.

Also, since this is Gailey's team, he chose the assistants, so the responsibility ultimately falls on his shoulders. Gailey has proven he has done well at his other stops, but I saw no improvement tonight over last year's team. I said I would call it as soon as I saw the handwriting on the wall.

I believe we lost to a poor team tonight. BYU did not impress me as being a real good team. I really don't think they will win many games against good competition.

Gailey could still be a good coach with the right assistants, but it does not look good at this time. I still say he deserves the right to finish the year as any other coach would have. Certainly, I hope the best for him and Tech, but it does not look good at this time.

As I promised BeeBad, I would state my opinion as soon as I have one. Once the wolves smell the blood, they will come from all corners. Unless a miracle happens, Gailey's chances of lasting look dim.

I am not saying I would personally get rid of him. I am just stating that his chances of survival look slim at this time.

If he does not last, I see only two coaches I would personally keep from this staff. I would keep Nix and Spencer.

I know the first thing someone will say is, "bring back O'Leary". I would not want O'Leary back if he paid the 1.5 million owed plus another 1.5 million to return. He has never been a winner without Friegden.

Since I have been a Tech fan for 56 years and been through some tough times, I am not going anywhere. I will still be hoping they beat Auburn and the remaining 11 games, but I will not place any money on it.

Father Time

I respectfully disagree with you on several points.

Tenuta is a fine defensive coordinator. He is just playing with nothing at DL. He has to blitz with LBs to create a pass rush and got beat in the zones where the LBs cleared out from. I have the highest opinion of him.

Our OL has typically been more of a pass blocking line than a run blocking line. They provided good protection tonight but did not open gaping holes. I'll have to watch the game again before providing a definative comment, but they did keep the defense out of the backfield and gave the rb a chance to make some yards. I just don't think PJ is quick enough through the holes.

BYU is an average team. But, I don't hang the loss on Gailey. I just think circumstances acted against him (with the 10 lost starters and a lost year of recruiting in the transition).

I think there were a lot of people who post on this board who overstated how good the untested players were going to perform.

My gut (since last years Wake game) tells me that Gailey is not the man. But, I really cannot make a logical case for dismissing him. He had a decent year last year and cannot be expected to do well this year imo.

I love coach O'Leary though. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I think he would do pretty well even without the Fridge. One 8 win season hardly proves that you have lost it as a coach. (I realize McQuarters wons the bowl game. I'd love to have him as coach too. I was sold on him after listening to his pre-game interview for the Seattle Bowl).

Ahso, I agree with most of your post. Since we are undermanned, I'm not too sure that a frosh qb is the right decision. Under normal circumstances, it would be great, but we need more innovative playcalling to counter our weaknesses. So, if CG is going to stay with such a vanilla offense, we might need to see more of Bilbo and Suggs in certain situations. Just an idea. In order for Ball to succeed, he would need better playmakers. PJ and Dixon aren't quick enough to break a run and Ball needs a good rb.

I agree also with your assessment of adjustments not being made on D, also. Ball control, not Reggie Ball, but football is going to be a real factor or our D is going to die out there.

Ahso, do I detect you coming over to my side? I don't necessarily want him gone but he is over his head.

My thoughts now I'm pretty P.O., we were so vanilla on offense that a good hi school coach could have defensed us. I lay our O at the feet of the OC. Reggie has the tools and the brains to keepem guessing but if he's told up the middle, pass to the side line, up the middle, etc then we are gona wear out our D. and the Aubums will break our record and it'll be 223-0.

Ahso, you and I finally agree on something!

I have to agree with MacDaddy2, Coach Gailey
is in "over his head."

Enough said.

Ahso, your post is right on.

BYU was not even as good as I expected.

We found no additional receivers other than Jonathan Smith.

If you can't run the ball, which we couldn't due to a lack of offensive line play as well as breakaway tailback ability (I'm not knocking PJ- he's giving all he has), you are not going to win.

We played a very mediocre BYU team. The def. line is in even more trouble than any of us thought.

Spencer and Nix are the two best assistants as you say.

Well,I came, I watched and i'm disappointed. I really didn't know what to expect since so many characters had been introduced to our football team both players and coaching staff. I entered this season with an open mind and am still willing
to give Chan a chance. But how many chances should we give him? Even after BYU came out in the second half with blood in their eyes and blew us away by scoring on their first two possessions we still saw the same conservative approach from our coaches. There didn't seem to be an urgency about any thing that Chan does. It seemed that he had a basic plan and didn't depart from the plan even when circumstances dictated that urgent measures were needed. For the second year in a row we made no reads at the line of scrimmage by our QB as we always went with the play that was called. BYU is not a good team. BYU is not even an average team. To me we saw the beginning of a death march to the abyss as our staff for the fourteenth straight game made no adjustments. I understand that we are young and that we are not a deep team but even in this thin air the coaches were not rotating the players to give our starters a blow with a few exceptions. I just hate to think about us playing Auburn or FSU or NC State, Virginia and others with the team and coaches I watched last night. We do have some talented kids but i'm not sure that they will improve drastically with this group of coaches. This is DEPRESSING.

Ahso, your honestly is brutal!!! I hurt for the players
frown.gif

First of all let me say..I like everyone (Im still convinced there are a couple of disguisedf Bulldogs here on this board probably just a couple though) Else LOVE GT above all else..And want what is best for our team...If Chan does not prove to be the man here at GT Who would want this job??? Im real concerned (Like AHSO..I feel Chan has his back against the wall) If we end up having to fire Chan at some point it kills us as far as NFL coaches wanting this job..There has to be a real concern as to who we could attract..After VT snuck into the ACC that killed any chance of getting Beamer...The criminal here is Ms. Moore..What she did has set us back for several years...You dont think every potential HC would not know this?? Talk to Ralph,To Chan,To Ross Well respected Football men..You dont think any high profile Head Coaching prospect wont talk to them or others and they will hear an earfull about the current situation at GT?? This really concerns me!!!

Blackwatch,

I think we would have many qualified people asking for the job. There are many quality young coaches that would love to have this job ala Paul Hewitt. IMHO, only a few pro footbal coaches make the transition to college. Al Groh is the notable exception going back to his college of graduation.

When you get paid a million a year and don't have to produce the job looks pretty good. Kinda like being a pro athlete except you don't make as much.

Gtmg...Your right YOUNG GUY..THAT IS A BIG BIG GAMBLE...There are Plenty of Jim Donnans out there trying to upgrade their status...Jim took the jump up and look how it worked out..Bill Lewis took a step up to GT..Just too many ifs...The trend and a good one is to get a proven NFL guy...GRoh at UVA and Carroll at USC...

By the way PLEESE dont use Paul Hewitt as an example...He may not be here too much longer...He has yet to prove his staying power...

Techsamillion...Thank you..Thank you very much!!

Lets just hope the powers to be feel the same way...I think there are a lot of John Davis type EX-Players and EX-Important alumni that know we are UNDERMANNED right now and will ACT AND MAKE CHANGES and also realize that NO HEAD COACH..I REPEAT NO HEAD COACH could win under the circumstances Chan has right now....

Am i saying Chan will finally succeed here..Who Knows..BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT NEED TO CHANGE IN THE IVORY TOWERS..And lets just say i dont believe we would do better with another HC right now..IMHO.....Chan has had a lot of things i mean a LOT of things that were out of his control hamper his SHORT TENURE here on the Flats...I think the key people in the hierarchy know that and will give him his 3 to 4 years to play with his own players and prove he can get it done once he has a full allotment of players...I REPEAT NO OTHER PROGRAM IN AMERICA COULD SUCCEED THIS YEAR WITH WHAT HAPPENED (FLUNKGATE I MEAN LOSING !) VERY VALUABLE PLAYERS..Not in todays world of limited Schollys anyway...Miami ( The best Program in All of college football )proved they couldnt for a 3 year stretch..They didnt lose players off the top tier and JUST BEFORE FALL PRACTICE EITHER They lost potential recruits when stripped of schollys....Last night confirmed This Flunkgate was almost akin to the Death penalty.......

BOR's post no. 276 above should be pushpinned and held in place until the snobs "get it". THWG

Ahso, I agree with your good post.

I saw a couple of things.

1. The play calling was not BOB's fault. It is much worse without him.
2. Lack of discipline. Same silly mistakes as last year (penelties, fumbles, interceptions).
3. Lack of conditioning.

Already this is being labeled a "rebuilding" year. As I said before, CG will be here next year this time, the excuses are in place.

There is an old saying about not being able to go home. Holtz isn't going to ND and GOL isn't coming back here. That debate should now be over with last year not being O'Briens fault.

And to Beau Bocj, I guess the odds now are now closer to his 0-12 than my 12-0.

Originally posted by DaveTech:

3. Lack of conditioning.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Huh? What defense in the country would be playing well at the end of a game wherein they were on the field twice as long as their counterparts?

Back