Bilbo and Gailey, musings....

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
I'm disappointed that things didn't work out for Bilbo. I haven't been to practice and I doubt I would know enough after watching a few to either support or criticize the decision the coach made to remove Bilbo from the QB depth chart. But the fall from #1 to #0 was breathtaking.

I certainly could understand it if Bilbo now left for another school for a fresh start; best of luck to him if he goes. What really has me confused are the reverses coming from the coach on the QB position.

Was it after the UGA game and before the semi-bowl that Gailey was quoted in the press that there would be no completion for #1; Suggs was the man? ( I know some say MB made that up but I never saw a retraction and it’s looking more believable all the time.)

Then Gailey announced after the game that the QB position would be up for grabs at spring practice?

At the start of spring practice Bilbo was identified as the #1 to give him the necessary reps? ( I may be wrong on this, bad memory Bilbo #2 in spring?)

Bilbo is picked as the #1 going into Fall practice?

Seven days into fall practice, Bilbo falls off the depth chart and R Ball is moved up to #1?

I don’t understand the need to ever identify someone as the number 1 QB if there is even a grain of doubt as to outcome. Sure wish we had some stability at QB....

I will support Gailey in all his decisions as long as the team performs. No I do not demand an 8 game winning season with all the attrition we have experienced but I do expect the team to play up, beat the “experts” odds consistently and be in every game till the game is over. If this is not happening, I won’t wait till the season is over to criticize the coaching staff.

You raise valid questions and even though I can't stand Bradley, his article is right on this morning as to what most people at Tech are wondering. In short - just what the h__l is going on over there?

You forgot about Jonathan Smith at qb vs. Georgia.

If I hear one more reference to "slash" I think I'll puke. Gailey keeps looking for a gimmick or some great move that's going to turn this around. Friedgen saw in Godsey not an speedster or 6-5 dropback, but a tough competitor who led the team. I'm not sure what Gailey is looking for.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Friedgen saw in Godsey not an speedster or 6-5 dropback, but a tough competitor who led the team. I'm not sure what Gailey is looking for.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Probably the same thing. From the practices I've watched (predating "the decision", BTW) Bilbo didn't look like he had the fire inside him. Heck, he hasn't even padded up for the last few days. A competitor would be out there in pads every day, pushing the players in front of him to either perform better than him or get out of the way.

Gee, maybe he's looking for a guy who can play above-average QB at the Div I level. We did not have that-at least not consistently-last year.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Gee, maybe he's looking for a guy who can play above-average QB at the Div I level. We did not have that-at least not consistently-last year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gee I hope so bellyseries. While he is window shopping, maybe he will stop naming #1s till he is really ready to pick one...
frown.gif

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gee I hope so bellyseries. While he is window shopping, maybe he will stop naming #1s till he is really ready to pick one...
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">when did he name who is the #1 starter this year? did you hear gailey do that 71YJ?

gailey said that suggs was his starter last year and suggs started all the games. after the fresno st debacle .. gailey stated that the qb job will be open and all the freshmen will get a chance.

he has not yet named a starter for this season. what are you talking about? he never named bilbo the starter ever.

today on 790, beau replayed an interview he conducted with reggie ball and beau asked him how ball felt when he was told that he's the starter.

ball replied that everyone *outside* the program has been saying that but the coaches have not told him that. he will think that he's the starter only if he starts the BYU game. till then, he's not starter and gailey hasn't named one.

get your facts straight 71YJ .. or are you regressing to emotions and feelings and gut instincts and perceptions and all that good stuff? lol

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">when did he name who is the #1 starter this year? did you hear gailey do that 71YJ?

gailey said that suggs was his starter last year and suggs started all the games. after the fresno st debacle .. gailey stated that the qb job will be open and all the freshmen will get a chance.

he has not yet named a starter for this season. what are you talking about? he never named bilbo the starter ever.

today on 790, beau replayed an interview he conducted with reggie ball and beau asked him how ball felt when he was told that he's the starter.

ball replied that everyone *outside* the program has been saying that but the coaches have not told him that. he will think that he's the starter only if he starts the BYU game. till then, he's not starter and gailey hasn't named one.

get your facts straight 71YJ .. or are you regressing to emotions and feelings and gut instincts and perceptions and all that good stuff? lol
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How about getting your facts straight. Not once did 71 use the term "starter". The *fact* is that you have a depth chart. The *fact* is that D-Bo was #1 on it, just has 71 recanted.

The conversation is about who is currently listed #1. NOT who has been named the starter.

The *fact* is that you are trying to cause as many problems on this board as Ms.TA, BeeBad, et al simply because you don't like what he had to say.

71, that was a well reasoned posts, yet some of the FOC'ers want to hijack threads just as much as the non-FOC'ers.

[/rant off]

71, like I said, that was a good post and many others feel the same way as you. There are plenty of people who said they are going in to this season with high hopes and full support of Gailey because that can only help the team. Nothing wrong with deciding at some point that you have seen enough though. It was CLEAR to me that you were NOT deriding or abusing Gailey here, so just ignore the internet message board guerrilas and their hit and run attacks.

Bellyseries.. Your right..I believe in seeing Bilbo the last couple of practices that he doesnt have the fire in him..He is not into it...Not all players take position changes well..Landry, Logan and Hollings took the changes welll...
We as ALL teams have about the same history with those changes..Some working out and some where the player just transfers..In most cases the transfer was a MISTAKE for the player in that they never light a fire at the new school either..This probably means that the initial coach that made the move knew they werent the best at QB for their respective team..Hey Football is like ALL competitive sport..Its all about competition and who gives you the best chance to win... NO question Reggie BALL has stood out over everyone in practice and rightly gets the nod...
Examples of our RECENT ( ALL HIGHLY RECRUITED QBS ) past QBs that transferred because they didnt cut it here : Brandon Summner, Jermaine Crenshaw....All never did pan out elsewhere either...What about Suggs ?? Fulmer hit it right at UT and Obrein/Oleary and Gailey couldnt make it work here either...

Not picking on you 71, but most of your facts are wrong.

I know from a reliable source that the staff was pretty disgusted with Suggs after the UGA game. That is a big reason why Bilbo got half the snaps in the bowl game. The statement about no competition for #1 was either not made or was taken out of context, or was misconstrued.

The fact that 3 QBs were recruited speaks volumes. Something like four or five GT coaches went to Carter's in home to impress on him how much we needed a QB.

Gailey said going into spring that the QB position was wide open, and that the freshmen would get a shot in the fall. That is exactly what has happened.

Ball playing with the first team is surprising, but anyone who examines the facts cannot be shocked, or say that Gailey has been inconsistent.

I saw Ball play on TV against Camden County, and he took over that game. He was a man among boys, and that includes his team mates and UGa recruits Gartrell and Lumpkin. If he had played DT too, his team would have won

Just that - 71 and I are raising some questions NOT based on emotions, NOT on feelings but on facts. Facts and history say you don't win at this level starting a true freshman at QB. That's no knock on Ball or anyone else. The kid gets back from Provo and has about a week before he lines up against Auburn. The last time I checked that defense has some studs who are playing for keeps. Talk about fantasies and emotion. Those dreaming of headlines pointing out the Gailey brilliance of positional changes in November are deluding themselves. We can bat this around all day but the proof will come out this season. Until then, Gailey is flying in the face of reason, and that is you don't win big without steady, superb quarterback play. A less than stellar offense can be carried by an awesome defense (i.e Alabama a few years ago), but the last time I checked we weren't exactly setting defensive records either.

In 71's defense, I read that same article in the AJC last year. It ran just after the UGA game and before the bowl game was played. If it was a misquote, then it would be damn close to liable/slander (whichever is appropriate there, I never remember) because there was a supposed direct quote from Gailey. It said something to the effect of "We have a starter and his name is A.J. Suggs. He will not have to defend his position in the spring."

I remember that article very clearly because I got so mad after I read it that I was a most unpleasant person to live with for several days afterward. My wife even threatened to not let me read the paper anymore if I continuted to react the way I had to that one article, LOL.

I'm not saying the article was right...but it definitely was printed.

jacketup, wonder how you would have felt watching Bilbo on tv throw for 3200+ yards and winning the state championship?

As for half the snaps in the bowl game...no way without AJ's problems in the first half. From an equally reliable source, DB did not get equal prepping/snaps with the starters for the bowl game. THWG

hey BEESerk .. why don't you ignore my posts man. i know it bothers you to such an extent. you preach it .. ignore posts that bother you .. practice it.

there is a depth chart but in spring you don't have the freshmen to take snaps.

gailey states that we know what suggs can do so bilbo is taking the snaps with the first team.

gailey never said that bilbo is taking snaps because he's better than suggs. that is construed by YJ as bilbo being #1. incorrect interpretation of events.

gailey has been consistent that the QB position has been open since the fresno st debacle. it is still open today.

bilbo took first team snaps for a few days when all QB's got here. he's not taking them anymore because the position was open. because other people performed better than him .. he was upseated.

what is this bullshit about hit and run guerilla tactics that you keep bringing up huh? you got a problem with me .. let's meet in person .. i have no qualms about that.

Excellent posts, Father Wasp!

I have the same sentiments that you have
regarding the Merry-Go-Round with our QB
system.

If we the fans are confused as to what
is going on over there, I wonder if our
players are confused?

Food for thought, I guess???????

Ylo... I ignore 95% of the garbage on this board and it comes equally from you and your cohorts as much as Beebad and his. Go bark up another tree.

Here is another fact:

Pre-Season Depth Chart

You are absolutely wrong, D-Bo was #1 on Gailey's list until the other day. Spin it any which way you like, and use any semantics you like.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Ylo... I ignore 95% of the garbage on this board and it comes equally from you and your cohorts as much as Beebad and his. Go bark up another tree.

Here is another fact:

Pre-Season Depth Chart

You are absolutely wrong, D-Bo was #1 on Gailey's list until the other day. Spin it any which way you like, and use any semantics you like.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">like i said BEESerk .. gailey's position on spring practice was that we know what suggs can do and we'll see what bilbo can do .. this is not spin nor anything to do with semantics. his position on fall practice was that the QB slot is open for grabs. someone has to be #1 for the purpose of having a chart .. cannot take out a chart without anyone on it ..

i like this spin and semantics issue you keep bringing up. yeah, that's easy isn't it .. you make a pledge but plan to renege on it .. because you pledged in "good faith" .. that is NOT semantics and spin .. but when someone calls you a dishonorable filthy jerk if you renege on a "pledge" .. that is semantics and spin. bravo mr. pureblood.

here's more stuff that is NOT semantics and spin.

"i pledged to dave braine and not georgia tech .. "

"the gtaa has nothing to do with georgia tech .. it is a separate entity .. so stop saying that i'm not supporting my alma mater if i renege on my pledge"

about those hit and run tactics .. should i ignore that like 95% of the posts on this board as garbage .. or do you want to meet up and sort out the problem that you have with me?

the "i wonder where ylo is in this thread? things that make you go hmmmmmmm"

the "why didn't you call refridgeratormover an idiot and a moron for not supporting dave braine"

Beeserk..EVERY team has a depth chart for the media and fans..But to the coaches that dont mean SQUAT...Its all about competition and can change daily...I wouldnt want a coach that didnt operate that way.....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Beeserk..EVERY team has a depth chart for the media and fans..But to the coaches that dont mean SQUAT...Its all about competition and can change daily...I wouldnt want a coach that didnt operate that way.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you except for the "don't mean squat" part. C'mon depth charts mean a lot. They determine who gets reps, who doesn't, who plays with first string, etc....

It is about competition, and that is apparently why Ball has been moved up. That is also why I trust Gailey in the decision. I also wouldn't want a coach that didn't operate that way.

I posted this on another line about the Bradley writings about Bilbo:

What scares me is, what happens if Ball goes down with an injury who steps up? Suggs, I hope not. If Bilbo was to stick around and play look at what he could offer the TEAM.
A Tail back at 6'-3" with a proven arm. Just think of the looks the other Defense would have if Bilbo was to pull up for a pass. This young man could and can do it all from the position of Tailback.
Heck we could even add a spark or two by having Bilbo take a snap or two each game to really confuse the Defense. Just think of how something like this could add to our enjoyment of the game, the hype of the game and the press would have something to write about, except Bradley, he would miss that while listening to the UGA game.
Bilbo needs to stay put and understand that this could help his overall career and help others that have worked to make the team.

Ylo, I apologize on the "gurilla tactics". That was the wrong choice of words. I should have said "hypocritical, pot calling the kettle black tactics".

My only problem with you is that you called me an idiot and a moron a long time ago, when I never even said the first word to you. You are nothing more than a little prick with no manners who wastes too much time on the internet trying to feel like a big man behind your keyboard.

We have already discussed this issue in private and I will keep it there. You can **attempt** to talk to me in person like you do on here.

Back