Bilbo and Gailey, musings....

Ylojk8:

Quote:
“when did he name who is the #1 starter this year? did you hear gailey do that 71YJ?

gailey said that suggs was his starter last year and suggs started all the games. after the fresno st debacle .. gailey stated that the qb job will be open and all the freshmen will get a chance.

he has not yet named a starter for this season. what are you talking about? he never named bilbo the starter ever.

today on 790, beau replayed an interview he conducted with reggie ball and beau asked him how ball felt when he was told that he's the starter.

ball replied that everyone *outside* the program has been saying that but the coaches have not told him that. he will think that he's the starter only if he starts the BYU game. till then, he's not starter and gailey hasn't named one.

get your facts straight 71YJ .. or are you regressing to emotions and feelings and gut instincts and perceptions and all that good stuff?”

Unquote:

Ylojk8, you wear me out… No where did I say he had been named the starter, no where did I disagree with Gailey’s decision to name Bilbo #0 on the QB depth chart.

I just wish Gailey would not announce #1 on depth chart if it isn’t solid. How about, “ we have several strong contenders at present, none have the starting role locked up, there is no # 1 but the following players will get reps with the first string till we see what they can do.”

I will judge Gailey only on the results, not on the chess moves.

Jacketup:

Quote:

Not picking on you 71, but most of your facts are wrong.

I know from a reliable source that the staff was pretty disgusted with Suggs after the UGA game. That is a big reason why Bilbo got half the snaps in the bowl game. The statement about no competition for #1 was either not made or was taken out of context, or was misconstrued.

The fact that 3 QBs were recruited speaks volumes. Something like four or five GT coaches went to Carter's in home to impress on him how much we needed a QB.

Gailey said going into spring that the QB position was wide open, and that the freshmen would get a shot in the fall. That is exactly what has happened.

Ball playing with the first team is surprising, but anyone who examines the facts cannot be shocked, or say that Gailey has been inconsistent.

I saw Ball play on TV against Camden County, and he took over that game. He was a man among boys, and that includes his team mates and UGa recruits Gartrell and Lumpkin. If he had played DT too, his team would have won

UnQuote:
Jacketup, Which quotes were wrong??? May have missed one or two but you refer only to the first which is a pretty fair recital of the AJC story.

Everyone, Let’s keep a civil tongue (or fingers) and discuss different points of view without resorting to inappropriate behavior. Have I mentioned lately Albion’s Seed and the age of chivalry, and that I’m packing?
wink.gif

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Ylo, I apologize on the "gurilla tactics". That was the wrong choice of words. I should have said "hypocritical, pot calling the kettle black tactics".

My only problem with you is that you called me an idiot and a moron a long time ago, when I never even said the first word to you. You are nothing more than a little prick with no manners who wastes too much time on the internet trying to feel like a big man behind your keyboard.

We have already discussed this issue in private and I will keep it there. You can **attempt** to talk to me in person like you do on here.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i invite you to find the post in which i called you an idiot and a moron. stingtalk is a neat message board .. every post is archived. please find that post for me.

if like you said .. i called you an idiot and a moron when you never even said the first word to me .. i will sincerely apologize to you.

i for the life of me cannot remember calling you an idiot or a moron.

you made a post about not supporting the gtaa through these troubled times. i pointedly asked you if you were planning to renege on your pledge to the gtaa. you stated in the affirmative.

at that point i called you a dishonorable filthy jerk. dishonorable is by definition .. someone who reneges on a pledge .. and i called you a filthy jerk because i can. i will not apologize for that. in my eyes, if someone makes a pledge and doesn't carry it out .. he's dishonorable.

after that you came out and said that i'm hiding behind my keyboard and will i be able to say all i did to you in front of your fellow tailgaters.

i'll do it .. if i can say it here on stingtalk .. i can say it to your face.

i won't attemtp to talk to you .. i won't attempt to strike up a conversation .. i will just state that you are a dishonorable filthy jerk if you renege on a pledge made to the gtaa. that's my position .. that's my stand .. no apologies for that.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:

Ylojk8, you wear me out… No where did I say he had been named the starter, no where did I disagree with Gailey’s decision to name Bilbo #0 on the QB depth chart.

I just wish Gailey would not announce #1 on depth chart if it isn’t solid. How about, “ we have several strong contenders at present, none have the starting role locked up, there is no # 1 but the following players will get reps with the first string till we see what they can do.”

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71YJ .. you wear me out. look at your above quote .. that would be an accurate paraphrase as to what gailey has been saying all along. except that you don't want him to put a #1 qb on the depth chart? that is absurd.

he has been clearly stating that the QB position is open .. that freshmen will get a look. doesn't that paraphrase to that there are several contenders who will all get reps?

you are making an issue of having a #1 on the depthchart in preseason practices? the depthchart in preseason practices is an evolving document. it doesn't mean a lot especially if the head coach unequivocally states that the QB position is *open* and everyone will get a look including true freshmen

Ylo,

correction duly noted... I just get used to seeing "idiot and moron" coming out of your fingertips.

Now why don't you tell everyone what I told you privately... or does that not fit your agenda? Why don't you tell everyone the real truth in that I have never reneged on a pledge?

One more thing Ylo,

You show your true CLASS by claiming you are "man" enough to show up at a GT home game, to a GT tailgate, to tell a GT alumn and financial supporter, that he is a dishonorable fifthy jerk.

I am not even sure a mutt would claim to do something like that.
confused.gif

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
Gee, maybe he's looking for a guy who can play above-average QB at the Div I level. We did not have that-at least not consistently-last year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gee I hope so bellyseries. While he is window shopping, maybe he will stop naming #1s till he is really ready to pick one...
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Take it easy, 71, I was responding to Wasp, who wrote, "I'm not sure what Gailey is looking for." I thought I'd reply in a similarly snide way.

I don't believe it's in Gailey's job description that he has to keep me or any other fan from pouting about what we don't know.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Ylo,

correction duly noted... I just get used to seeing "idiot and moron" coming out of your fingertips.

Now why don't you tell everyone what I told you privately... or does that not fit your agenda? Why don't you tell everyone the real truth in that I have never reneged on a pledge?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i don't have an agenda against you .. i never did. i called you a dishonorable filthy jerk if you reneged on a pledge to the gtaa. that is not an agenda that i have with *you* .. that is my position and i will take that position with anyone.

you blew a gasket after that. you said things to me in private that like you said "not even a mutt would".

you have been biting at my ankles ever since.

"where is ylo in this thread .. things that make you go hmmmmmmmm"

"you have a lot to learn rookie"

"you are junking up the board"

if you have never reneged on a pledge to the gtaa .. say it so yourself. i don't have an agenda. you came out and plainly stated that you will renege on the pledge you made. you need to come out and state that you will carry out that pledge .. where is my agenda in that?

you are a financial supporter and a GT alum. no doubt about that .. but i WILL call you a dishonorable filthy jerk *if* you renege on a pledge made to the gtaa. if you don't .. you're not a dishonorable filthy jerk .. it's as simple as that. there is no spin .. no semantics .. as far as i can see.

and YES .. i do call idiots and morons, idiots and morons. i have never called you one a far as i can recall.

I don't think Gailey is doing anything that Steve Spurrier hasn't done.

One theory I have is to see how Bilbo would react to being handed the #1 spot. Maybe Gailey thought *that* would "do it" for Bilbo and allow him to seize the opportunity.

Well, it didn't work and that was his last chance. Look, guys, if you can't beat AJ Suggs in practice after being told you are #1 then, QB ain't for you.

As far as I'm concerned, Bilbo just blew the opportunity of a lifetime (his, that is). Quarterbacks a lot better than Bilbo have been sentenced to the bench because the person ahead of them was that good. Bilbo could have won the job with one arm tied behind his back and he chose not to apply himself.

Blame Gailey all you want. I blame Bilbo.

71YJ,

I agree, the sudden move was startling, but it is the call of the coaches (Nix, Geiss, Gailey, and to a lesser extent, the remaining coaches.) to make and not the casual observer.

I seriously doubt Gailey made the decision unless it was discussed with Nix and Geiss, and they all pretty much agreed.

Each coach has his own motivational ideas regarding players. I doubt if any two of us on the board would always agree on everything.

If I was the coach, I would declare someone as the number one quarterback when he needed the confidence factor to see how he performs under less pressure.

At another time, I might declare the job wide open, to goad the player into working harder if I saw he was not exerting enough effort. I think you can vary your statements and demands to your players according to the results you are trying to accomplish.

Thus, I can see the different tactics at different times. The main gist of this is that it is the call of the coach that is important and not the call of the casual observer.

I can see Gailey announcing Bilbo to be number one in Spring practice and giving him the most reps. It boosted Bilbo's deflated ego, it gave Nix time to work with him, and put him more at ease. It gave the staff a further chance to evaluate his progress.

I can see the wisdom in opening the position up for the Fall practice with some good candidates coming into the picture.

If the coaches saw the team would have a better chance with Ball and Bilbo was not progressing as required, I can see the wisdom in not delaying any longer. It would be imperative to let Ball have the rest of Fall practice to get ready with the team for the coming season.

It would also give Bilbo a better chance of playing time this year at another position, if the move was made now instead of later. It gives Bilbo time to decide what his options would be should he decided to leave.

It is also a smart move to move Bilbo instead of Suggs to another position. Bilbo is more athletic and could help at another position. He might even star at another position, and he has two years left.

Suggs on the other hand is a capable back-up, but could not give you any help at another position. He has only one year left. I might have taken the same action if I was in control.

One thing is for sure. Having a successful season is making sure you have the right players in the right positions. This gives you the best chance to succeed. It is a very important aspect of coaching.

You, I, nor any other poster is responsible for the results of the team. It is all on the shoulders of the head coach and the assistant coaches. The only decisions that are important are the ones made by the coaches. Our decisions have no effect on the team or their results.

One thing you can trust, the decisions made by the coaches results in the effectiveness of the team. You can bet your last dollar, they will make the decisions based on their observation and knowledge that will give them the best chance of success. It is their A$$, and they know it.

These coaches are exercising their options. At the end of the year, the AD will exercise his options. We can only wait and see the results.

Father Time

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

Ylo, I have no quarrel with you, but when you start making the "lets meet in person so I can whup ur ass" type posts then you fall below Bulldawg trailer trash alumni in my eyes. Clean it up, or I hope the administrator deals with you appropriately...

Show some class, man.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ramblinwise i have no quarrel with you either but when you post about stuff that you have no idea about .. then i'll have to respond.

i am not stating .. "let's meet so that i can whup your ass" .. hell, i prolly will get my ass whupped if it comes to that.

trust me, i did not start this .. "show up in real and then we'll see" talk.

some pureblood fonts here think that i am involved in hit and run guerilla tactics, that i have huge keyboard muscles and that i'm hiding behind a computer screen. they claim that i won't be able to state what i type here to their faces.

you don't know what beeserk and i have been discussing, you are not privvy to that. so please step out of the fray.

if and when i tell you to meet in person so that i can whup your ass .. you have legitimate beef with me then and we'll talk about it then ok?

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

Show some class, man.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ramblinwise i have no quarrel with you either but when you post about stuff that you have no idea about .. then i'll have to respond.

you don't know what beeserk and i have been discussing, you are not privvy to that. so please step out of the fray.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Then please keep it ALL private, not just some of it. You're wasting electrons!!!
grin.gif

Originally posted by jacketup:
I saw Ball play on TV against Camden County, and he took over that game. He was a man among boys, and that includes his team mates and UGa recruits Gartrell and Lumpkin. If he had played DT too, his team would have won
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I graduated from Camden County, so I went to that game, and the husband and I were *very* impressed with Ball. I was afraid that he was single-handedly going to beat us, but fortunately our running game and his receivers prevented that.

I know things are much harder in college, and I haven't been to practice this year, but that guy looked great in the H.S. playoffs, so I am not surprised that he contended for the starter spot.

No one can deny that Bilbo is a great athlete, but all last year we heard that there were problems with his effort: falling asleep in meetings, not watching film, etc. I read that he has watched a lot of film *this* spring/summer. That should have been the case all along, though, not a new development. I won't disagree that part of what made JH great was PT (and the tutelage of Ralph, of course), but he also had tools to begin with. JH was smart when it came to football. None of us know whether Bilbo has football smarts that are not being developed properly or if he's flat-out lacking. We just don't know.

Ralph can make a great QB out of average athletes with smarts, but I don't think he could do the reverse. I'm not sure what Ralph would do with an athletic guy that just didn't get it. Maybe move him like our staff did... (and I'm not wishing Ralph was back, just using him as example of someone with a proven record at developing QB's).

Keep in mind: B'OB, Nix, Gailey, no one can seem to make it happen, so I will choose to trust the staff. Even if Bilbo could be developed by *someone* that someone is not here, so say it and move on. Give Bilbo a chance to make a decision about his future.

He was clearly very supportive of his teammates last year when they made great plays, but that may not be enough. Leadership of the team is more than moral support. It's also fire in the belly and inspiration for everyone to do better.

I hope that it's the right decision, but I am pleased that the coaches are making decisions, even if they are hard ones.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

Then please keep it ALL private, not just some of it. You're wasting electrons!!!
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">point noted.

this message board is good for wasting electrons by the way.

GT tuba-dammit (cool name!) we do know what Ralph would do with an athletic QB who doesn't get it, he moves them to WR. Latrez Harrison was an all world HS QB who picked MD over GT several years back. In Ralph's first year at MD he was supposed to be the perfect fit for Ralph's system. Guess what he plays now? Yep, WR, and he's pretty good. You have to find the right position for each kid from an athletic, skills and temperment perspective. Maybe Bilbo was a QB in HS because he was the best athlete. Maybe if he transfers he will blossom. Or maybe if he transfers he'll end up as a WR al Ole Miss. Only time will tell, and the only ones who can make that call are the coaches.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Just that - 71 and I are raising some questions NOT based on emotions, NOT on feelings but on facts. Facts and history say you don't win at this level starting a true freshman at QB. That's no knock on Ball or anyone else. The kid gets back from Provo and has about a week before he lines up against Auburn. The last time I checked that defense has some studs who are playing for keeps. Talk about fantasies and emotion. Those dreaming of headlines pointing out the Gailey brilliance of positional changes in November are deluding themselves. We can bat this around all day but the proof will come out this season. Until then, Gailey is flying in the face of reason, and that is you don't win big without steady, superb quarterback play. A less than stellar offense can be carried by an awesome defense (i.e Alabama a few years ago), but the last time I checked we weren't exactly setting defensive records either.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So WASP, in tech's case, would you rather us start a QB who we KNOW loses games for us (Suggs) or a QB who cannot "get it", has never shown he'll "get it" and has only shown PHYSICAL TALENTS?

Fact is, we have 2 incumbent QB's who aren't freshmen who are NOT good and will not win games for us, and they're both from O'Leary's tenure. Gailey doesn't have much choice.

I'll take Gaileys, Nix, and Geis opinion for who should start at QB's over mine, your's, or any other Stingtalker/Hiver. You agree?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
Gee, maybe he's looking for a guy who can play above-average QB at the Div I level. We did not have that-at least not consistently-last year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gee I hope so bellyseries. While he is window shopping, maybe he will stop naming #1s till he is really ready to pick one...
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ok, here is where we get into trouble guys. What you just said is a LIE. Never happened. After the Fresno Game, Gailey was very direct that we have no starting QB going into Spring, the job would have to be won.
Spring comes and goes, and Gailey said that "no one has seperated themselves from the rest." Also he said that the freshman would get a "very hard look".
Going into fall, he has said that the job is up for grabs. NEVER DID HE NAME A #1 QB. Bilbo, LOGICALLY, was getting the majority of the reps with the first team. Then Ball comes out of nowhere and seperates himself from the pack. Now Ball is getting the most reps with the 1st team.
Gailey STILL has not named a starter.

So where is he "naming #1's"? He never has.

I hope he names Ball #1 and goes from there though. He's certianly not flipflopping as the AJC and some of you guys would suggest.

Everyone,

Let’s go back and revisit this threads starting point:

I'm disappointed that things didn't work out for Bilbo. I haven't been to practice and I doubt I would know enough after watching a few to either support or criticize the decision the coach made to remove Bilbo from the QB depth chart. But the fall from #1 to #0 was breathtaking.

I certainly could understand it if Bilbo now left for another school for a fresh start; best of luck to him if he goes. What really has me confused are the reverses coming from the coach on the QB position.

Was it after the UGA game and before the semi-bowl that Gailey was quoted in the press that there would be no completion for #1; Suggs was the man? ( I know some say MB made that up but I never saw a retraction and it’s looking more believable all the time.)

Then Gailey announced after the game that the QB position would be up for grabs at spring practice?

At the start of spring practice Bilbo was identified as the #1 to give him the necessary reps? ( I may be wrong on this, bad memory Bilbo #2 in spring?)

Bilbo is picked as the #1 going into Fall practice?

Seven days into fall practice, Bilbo falls off the depth chart and R Ball is moved up to #1?

I don’t understand the need to ever identify someone as the number 1 QB if there is even a grain of doubt as to outcome. Sure wish we had some stability at QB....

I will support Gailey in all his decisions as long as the team performs. No I do not demand an 8 game winning season with all the attrition we have experienced but I do expect the team to play up, beat the “experts” odds consistently and be in every game till the game is over. If this is not happening, I won’t wait till the season is over to criticize the coaching staff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now there have been many loops, twists, bends in the thread since. But I never said Bilbo had been named the starter (see above) nor did I take issue with Bilbo being removed from the quarterback depth chart, “breathtaking” is the term I used to describe it.

Now here comes BOR:

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
frown.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ok, here is where we get into trouble guys. What you just said is a LIE. Never happened. After the Fresno Game, Gailey was very direct that we have no starting QB going into Spring, the job would have to be won.
Spring comes and goes, and Gailey said that "no one has seperated themselves from the rest." Also he said that the freshman would get a "very hard look".
Going into fall, he has said that the job is up for grabs. NEVER DID HE NAME A #1 QB. Bilbo, LOGICALLY, was getting the majority of the reps with the first team. Then Ball comes out of nowhere and seperates himself from the pack. Now Ball is getting the most reps with the 1st team.
Gailey STILL has not named a starter.

So where is he "naming #1's"? He never has.

I hope he names Ball #1 and goes from there though. He's certainly not flipflopping as the AJC and some of you guys would suggest.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BOR,

I believe my statements are correct and can be validated by a review of past postings here and AJC articles on this subject. So far, no one has refuted any of the quotes to my satisfaction to admit an error.

Also, please note my reply to Ylojk8 earlier,
Quote/

I will judge Gailey only on the results, not on the chess moves.
/Unquote

Now, please don’t call me a liar again or I will sic my designated whump-ass kicker and fellow Tech man Ylojk8 on you….

71, what you infered was that Gailey needs to stop naming #1's.

The last time he actually named a #1 QB goes back to before Fresno State, where as you are correct, he named Suggs the starter and there would be no competition.

After the Fresno state game he has always contended that the job was up for grabs and that people need to prove themselves. EVEN AFTER SPRING PRACTICE, he said no one was #1 because no one distinguished themselves. He even said that the freshman would get a hard look. HE NEVER said Bilbo was #1, you just assumed that.

Now I'm not calling you a liar, but what you said was a misrepresentation of the facts so to speak. Gailey IS NOT naming different #1 Qb's every month. So far, he has been very consistent with what he has been saying since the Fresno game.

No Beer, I do not agree. Many of us are weary of watching the program we love go down the tubes. This helter-skelter stuff is great if your proven, but 51-7 doesn't buy you alot of confidence.

The recruiting season, offseason, etc. was supposed to right the ship. That didn't happen.

Neither you and I will know how this program is performing until Aug. 28th and beyond. Let's revisit the topic then and see who is right.

Back