Bilbo and Gailey, musings....

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
71, what you infered was that Gailey needs to stop naming #1's.

The last time he actually named a #1 QB goes back to before Fresno State, where as you are correct, he named Suggs the starter and there would be no competition.

After the Fresno state game he has always contended that the job was up for grabs and that people need to prove themselves. EVEN AFTER SPRING PRACTICE, he said no one was #1 because no one distinguished themselves. He even said that the freshman would get a hard look. HE NEVER said Bilbo was #1, you just assumed that.

Now I'm not calling you a liar, but what you said was a misrepresentation of the facts so to speak. Gailey IS NOT naming different #1 Qb's every month. So far, he has been very consistent with what he has been saying since the Fresno game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BOR,

Here is a sample of "no. 1" quotes:

The following quotes are from the AJC:

8/1/03
I believe the info was provided by GTAA showing two names on the quarterback depth chart with Bilbo at the top.

http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/gatech/0803/02dchart.html

8/8/03

John Hollis refers to Bilbo being removed from the “No. 1” spot

http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/gatech/0803/09bilbo.html

8/10/03

John Hollis refers to Bilbo being at the top of the depth chart starting fall practice.

http://www.ajc.com/sunday/content/epaper/editions/sunday/sports_f3534e937476325c002c.html

8/8/03

John Hollis article quotes reveiver JS referring to Bilbo as the “No. 1”

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/editions/friday/sports_f333f310b44e308600ab.html

John Hollis article refers to Bilbo being removed from ”no 1”.

http://www.ajc.com/saturday/content/epaper/editions/saturday/sports_f34319757476f1ae0091.html

Originally posted by Father WASP:
No Beer, I do not agree. Many of us are weary of watching the program we love go down the tubes. This helter-skelter stuff is great if your proven, but 51-7 doesn't buy you alot of confidence.

The recruiting season, offseason, etc. was supposed to right the ship. That didn't happen.

Neither you and I will know how this program is performing until Aug. 28th and beyond. Let's revisit the topic then and see who is right.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You kind of skirted around what I was getting at. Here's were we stood at the end of the season QB wise: 2 bad QB's.

So, the offseason recruiting is supposed to fix that, but, by your own words, starting a True Freshman is a recipe for disaster. What were we supposed to "fix" in the offseason in relation to our QB's? What was your solution? I'm interested to know.

[EDIT: Spelling Errors fixed]

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Father WASP:
No Beer, I do not agree. Many of us are weary of watching the program we love go down the tubes. This helter-skelter stuff is great if your proven, but 51-7 doesn't buy you alot of confidence.

The recruiting season, offseason, etc. was supposed to right the ship. That didn't happen.

Neither you and I will know how this program is performing until Aug. 28th and beyond. Let's revisit the topic then and see who is right.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You kin of skirted around what I was getting at. here's were we stood at the end of the season QB wise: 2 bad QB's.

So, the offseason recruiting is supposed to fix that, but, by your own words, startsing a True Freshman is a recipe for disaster. What were we supposed to "fix" in the offseason in relation to our QB's? What was your solution? I'm interested to know.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">A very good question, Nutts

71, John Hollis refers to Bilbo being the #1 because he was probably getting most of the reps witht he first team.

Since Ball came on the scene, he's all of the sudden taken out of the mix.

I want a solid #1 Qb too, but Gailey has made no notion towards a definite #1 by anything that he has said.
That was my point.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
71YJ,

I agree, the sudden move was startling, but it is the call of the coaches (Nix, Geiss, Gailey, and to a lesser extent, the remaining coaches.) to make and not the casual observer.

I seriously doubt Gailey made the decision unless it was discussed with Nix and Geiss, and they all pretty much agreed.

Each coach has his own motivational ideas regarding players. I doubt if any two of us on the board would always agree on everything.

If I was the coach, I would declare someone as the number one quarterback when he needed the confidence factor to see how he performs under less pressure.

At another time, I might declare the job wide open, to goad the player into working harder if I saw he was not exerting enough effort. I think you can vary your statements and demands to your players according to the results you are trying to accomplish.

Thus, I can see the different tactics at different times. The main gist of this is that it is the call of the coach that is important and not the call of the casual observer.

I can see Gailey announcing Bilbo to be number one in Spring practice and giving him the most reps. It boosted Bilbo's deflated ego, it gave Nix time to work with him, and put him more at ease. It gave the staff a further chance to evaluate his progress.

I can see the wisdom in opening the position up for the Fall practice with some good candidates coming into the picture.

If the coaches saw the team would have a better chance with Ball and Bilbo was not progressing as required, I can see the wisdom in not delaying any longer. It would be imperative to let Ball have the rest of Fall practice to get ready with the team for the coming season.

It would also give Bilbo a better chance of playing time this year at another position, if the move was made now instead of later. It gives Bilbo time to decide what his options would be should he decided to leave.

It is also a smart move to move Bilbo instead of Suggs to another position. Bilbo is more athletic and could help at another position. He might even star at another position, and he has two years left.

Suggs on the other hand is a capable back-up, but could not give you any help at another position. He has only one year left. I might have taken the same action if I was in control.

One thing is for sure. Having a successful season is making sure you have the right players in the right positions. This gives you the best chance to succeed. It is a very important aspect of coaching.

You, I, nor any other poster is responsible for the results of the team. It is all on the shoulders of the head coach and the assistant coaches. The only decisions that are important are the ones made by the coaches. Our decisions have no effect on the team or their results.

One thing you can trust, the decisions made by the coaches results in the effectiveness of the team. You can bet your last dollar, they will make the decisions based on their observation and knowledge that will give them the best chance of success. It is their A$$, and they know it.

These coaches are exercising their options. At the end of the year, the AD will exercise his options. We can only wait and see the results.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahso, I have to give you credit when you make a good post, and that was damn good one. One of the best I have seen from anyone on this subject.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
hey BEESerk .. why don't you ignore my posts man. i know it bothers you to such an extent. you preach it .. ignore posts that bother you .. practice it.

there is a depth chart but in spring you don't have the freshmen to take snaps.

gailey states that we know what suggs can do so bilbo is taking the snaps with the first team.

gailey never said that bilbo is taking snaps because he's better than suggs. that is construed by YJ as bilbo being #1. incorrect interpretation of events.

gailey has been consistent that the QB position has been open since the fresno st debacle. it is still open today.

bilbo took first team snaps for a few days when all QB's got here. he's not taking them anymore because the position was open. because other people performed better than him .. he was upseated.

what is this bullshit about hit and run guerilla tactics that you keep bringing up huh? you got a problem with me .. let's meet in person .. i have no qualms about that.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ylo, I have no quarrel with you, but when you start making the "lets meet in person so I can whup ur ass" type posts then you fall below Bulldawg trailer trash alumni in my eyes. Clean it up, or I hope the administrator deals with you appropriately...

Show some class, man.

When O'Leary left we had what - five, six quarterbacks on the roster? Gailey has had two spring practices, two recruiting seasons and a full season and we are still in chaos.

How long do we wait before we can stop blaming the previous staff? If the previous staff gets the blame, then the previous staff should likewise be held as to what good coaching can do. I recall after Joe left we were supposedly in quite a quandry, but Friedgen helped Godsey to become an effective quarterback.

If O'Brien was to blame, then Gailey is responsible. He worked for him.

Opinions will differ on whether the "cupboard was bare" when the previous regime left. As I previously stated, the upcoming season will determine which of us are right about performance on the field.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
When O'Leary left we had what - five, six quarterbacks on the roster? Gailey has had two spring practices, two recruiting seasons and a full season and we are still in chaos.

How long do we wait before we can stop blaming the previous staff? If the previous staff gets the blame, then the previous staff should likewise be held as to what good coaching can do. I recall after Joe left we were supposedly in quite a quandry, but Friedgen helped Godsey to become an effective quarterback.

If O'Brien was to blame, then Gailey is responsible. He worked for him.

Opinions will differ on whether the "cupboard was bare" when the previous regime left. As I previously stated, the upcoming season will determine which of us are right about performance on the field.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whether or not our QB's perform has nothing to do with my position. I'm not saying starting a True Freshman will relate to wins or good performances. I'm just saying it is our best move considering the current situation.

Back