Bilbo to RB? Ball starting QB?

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
I heard at dinner someone say that on the news it had been quoted that Bilbo was moving to running back, implying that one of the freshman may have gotten the upper hand on the depth chart at QB. Anybody heard anything?

My gawd, I am dumbfounded. Is this a ho axe or not? I thought about it before, but I really thought #8 would get it mentally.

If the story is true, God speed young Mr. Ball. (I hope its Reggie)

If someone other than Ball or Carter appears as the starting QB, it will be a sad, sad day in Mudville. It would cripple the morale of the team IMHO. Al Pena, whither thou goest?

If thats the case im EXCITED.. Reggie has the wheels (4.45 speed) Lets hope he beats the odds of having the typical somewhat tough Frosh year.

I think Ball or Carter starts w/ Suggs getting a
fair amount of time at backup. I have certainly
gotten the impression that Ball is the guy to beat
now.

Still...can you imagine having Ball pitch to Bilbo
and Bilbo firing downfield to Nate Curry on a deep
pattern?

If it is a fresman ( I hope it is) and we continue the bowl run, our qb should win the Heisman. SVC and Humanitarian are excluded.

rw1, why would you say that? Do you know something or just assuming the upperclassmen would want Bilbo. If he got beat out why would the players morale suffer? Especially if he's still on the field?

If there is another Joe H./Shawn J. out there, let's go for it. I have no idea because, as the name implies, I am a long way from Atlanta and only basing my opinion on what I read. It sounds like from practice reports that we have someone that understands the system and what's going on in about a week of practice AND has the physical attributes. I am willing to take a few lumps for at least part of one year for 3 years of possible glory.

Chan has a great track record of getting players at the position that best suits them. Example: Dawan Landry moved to Safety from QB..Tony Hollings moved from Def. Back to Running back..And i remember the quote by Emmitt Smith of: Something to that same effect....

Maybe Bilbo is just too strong (benching 405), too big (he looks about 230?)and too fast (recruited by Fla? or FSU? as a WR) not to be pounding it downfield. I think it says more about ACE than the QB situation. We could be very good if Bilbo could take to that position with his size and speed. He is comparable to Ronnie Brown, size wise. Plus, if we are becoming a running team and Ball is super fast (which I've heard from those who saw him play in HS that he is) Bilbo or Ball would be the perfect compliment to each other.

Ought to be screwing with the BYU defensive coaches planning anyway.

Love the quote about Ball's confidence level when running the offense. Bilbo shouldn't fret. He's too good of an athlete not to be on the field. i know he's young and probably will take this personal, but he has tremendous potential to play anywhere. It'd even be nice to have another big safety like Ken Swilling around.

Amazing,CG saw he was going to die a slow and painful death with DBo .After 2 1/2 yrs he just wasn't getting it done.A shame but I doubt he will have much chance to contribute at another postion soon,maybe ever.It is too hard to make that change at this level.
I still think that Suggs would be a great backup.Bring him in when things are going bad so there is no pressure.MAYBE he will use his experience to do some good things.Maybe he has a NCST game in him again somewhere.

Originally posted by AlaGold:
Amazing,CG saw he was going to die a slow and painful death with DBo .After 2 1/2 yrs he just wasn't getting it done.A shame but I doubt he will have much chance to contribute at another postion soon,maybe ever.It is too hard to make that change at this level.
I still think that Suggs would be a great backup.Bring him in when things are going bad so there is no pressure.MAYBE he will use his experience to do some good things.Maybe he has a NCST game in him again somewhere.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well, dawan landry did it and is now our starting safety. tony hollings did it and is now in the pros ready to contribute. logan did it and is now in the mix at WR.

tons of people have been successful doing it. bilbo can too. will he? don't know.

Hopefully this will be a big kick in the ass for Bilbo. Great to see Chan being proactive on this. Of course, it may be that Ball is an outstanding player. He surely sounded confident when he stated that being the starter for this year was part of the plan.

Ala..Ylo and me had it right...Chan has a track record of successfully moving players to the right position for them to be effective....

Alagold, loads of players change positions at the college level. In fact, it may be more the norm and staying in the same one for 5 years. Bilbo is a good athlete and will contribute somewhere if he has the right attitude.

First of all, hang in there DeBo! We need you and you are an asset to this team. Your moments will come. I am excited because I think this is a big time "guts" call on the part of Chan. I appreciate the things he is saying because it truly shows he is as concerned for D as he is for the team. Nix &/or Geis have obviously seen something they very much like.

I think it's a great move. Think of the preparation defensive coordinators will have to make for a run/throw threat like Ball, who obviously has shown more consistency than Bilbo. CG is putting his best 11 on the field - i.e. both Ball and Bilbo are two of his best 11 offensive players, and he's trying to find a way to put them both on the field and help an offense that has lost some serious weapons (at RB). By midseason, Ball will be a veteran and the team will be better for it.

Back